1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??Cutts Compensator

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jm1079, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Would like to have a Cutts comp installed on my 1100 barrel? May I ask for suggestions as to who or where this can be done? Thanks. JM

PS
    I already have the compensator and a barrel that has been cut. Just need to have them put together.

2. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

3. johnpe

johnpe Member

I don't know who does this work any more, but it may be quicker and easier to start a thread on this forum to see who might have one to sell. Chances are, since the Cutts is out of style, you can probably find a whole barrel cheaper than having new Cutts installed. Frankly, the Cutts is a great piece, especially for skeet, but it will work for everything. I have 12, 20 and 28 gauges with Cutts Compensators and not only to they work great, they break targets with authority. Wear excellent ear protection as they are loud. You may find that getting all of the tubes may be a difficult, but I found mine at various gun stores just stuck back in various bins or from gunsmiths that cut off the whole thing. They just gave them to me with a choke installed.

Johnpe

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You may want to try Stu Wright. If anyone can and will do it, i would think he would be your man.

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kolar can do it, if they will??

6. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

jm1079,

Kolar no longer installs Cutts (their version was called the Kolar Comp). I have numerous Model 12's and Browning M12's with Cutts that I use for vintage skeet events. Bill Gillette in Okachobee, FL. has installed 3 Comps for me and does a superb job. He patterns the barrels for correct POI, and they all shoot dead on. His phone is 863-763-0104, Cell is 863-446-2439, email is gillette-brgs@juno.com.

Good luck.
    Mike

7. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

The person who shoots skeet behind you at station 1 and 7 will be deaf in less than a year. I shot on a squad of 3 world champions for 5 or 6 shoots every year who all shot 1100's with a cutts and I am living proof.

8. jandbburch

jandbburch Member

Chris Vendel (CRV Custom Arms) installs his own version similar to the Kolar Compensator and makes chokes up through IC constriction. His chokes are as good if not better (in my opinion) that the original Cutts chokes. Cutts, Kolar and CRV chokes are all interchangeable. If you are looking for chokes tighter than IC, post a request for what you need on this site or shotgunworld.com, and you will probably find what you are looking for.
    Shoot Well!! Jim

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

LOL.

-Gary

10. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

JLSo5

Didn't you wear hearing protection?

ed

11. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Yes I wore molded ear plugs but they are no match for the cutts sound coming off the skeet houses at 1 and 7. I have been shooting for 40 years skeet and SC and nothing comes close to those things. I shot one on a 303 for one season and it doesn't bother the shooter at all.

12. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you for your help. JM

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I'm still shooting Cutts guns, love them. My favorite Cutts guns are the .410s.

14. kyskeet

kyskeet Member

There are a couple of top skeet shooters in the championship shoot-offs at the world skeet shoot every year that still shoot a cutts equipped model 1100 (12ga).

15. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

WARNING... DO NOT GET THE smithing done in Charlottesville, Va.
    No one around here can do more than butcher your barrel.
    ML Johnson

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Fit a Cutts in 2011? Try Beelzebub Gunsmithing.

17. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

What keeps the new style plastic wad cups and shot together once it leaves the barrel and enters the compensator part? Seems like the wad petals would start opening and then hit the choke part making a mess?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cutts compensator

cutts compensator drawings
does lyman still make the cutts compensator

shooting the cutts compensator

what does a cutts compensater do