1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting the stock of a mint 1978 BT99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I recently purchased a Beretta 391 Parallel trap and BT99 for my daughter and I to shoot this year. The good news is the 391 turned out to have a reduced length stock (dumb luck, did not know it when I bought it). It fits both her and me great (we are the same height). I shoot the 391 well, but I cannot hit squat with the BT99.

The BT99 is a 99% gun from 1978 or 1979, and I think it would be a crime to shorten the stock or put on an adjustable comb to fit me. I'm thinking of selling the BT99 and picking up a 391 for me too.

Do you folks agree? It is wrong to try to modify a mint gun of this vintage? The BT99 might be up for sale if I cannot get anywhere with it this weekend...

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

upnorthMN, You can always buy a PFS Stock for your BT-99, and keep the orignal wood as is. It is totally adjustable from a small child to a XXXLarge adult. They take out most of the recoil of the shell and even that is adjustable. It is the perfect Stock for your daugther. As she grows so will the PFS. When she grows up and you can use the original, you can put it back on and then sell the PFS to someone else who needs one. They run in the 600-800 dollar range (used) and will let your daugther shoot 12 ga. all day long. You can get one to fit the BT-99 no problem. You'll be glad you did. Break-em all. Jeff

3. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

All good points. For me it is a question of what I shoot best with out of the box compared to home much I need to tweak a gun to get it to fit me. If it was a well used gun I would not have an issue with tweaking it. We'll see how well I shoot it this weekend...

4. high 2

high 2 Member

It`s a BT 99, not a Purdy or a Grand American 21. I don`t understand people not wanting to cut a stock or install an adj. comb. It`s a TOOL!!! not a museum piece. Make it work for you and shoot it. That is what it was meant to do. Larry

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

If you want to sell it, don't cut the stock. If you want to shoot it, cut the stock. How much will it really put you out if you did? A couple hundred bucks perhaps. No big deal either way.

6. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Cut the stock down your not talking about a high end trap gun
    Just enjoy it
    If there is a loss in value which I doubt it wont be much

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

It is not nor will it ever be a collector piece. Cut it and don't think twice.

8. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Sell the BT-99. You can't shoot it now and you'll really be put out when
    you can't shoot it any better after the stock is cut...just make it go away
    and get what you like...and shoot well.

Smok'n Joe

9. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I've never understood the practice of having a gun too "special" to shoot. If you can't shoot it because it's too long, cut 'er off or sell it. I don't care if it is a H&R single shot or a super high end gun, it's not doing you any good standing in the cabinet. BT's are too long for me, but I have 2. One is sawed off to 14" and one to 13 5/8". They are made to be shot. Make it fit or move it. Spring is on the way! MAC

10. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I would go ahead and cut the stock. I recently was in the market for a used BT-99 for my younger Son but the LOP of the ones I found were too long. There are tons of used stock BT-99s out there. I would have paid a little more if the LOP was less. So in other words, if you cut the stock and I mean in a professional manner, it might just be worth more, at least it would be to me.

Blueraven

11. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

buy another stock and change it. when you decide to sell the BT (and you probable will) put the original on and you have something to sell. It's a no brainer. Sell the gun with both stocks is easier than trying so sell a shorty. why hack up a mint 30+ year old gun.

12. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I agree with headhunter. Rick ~~~Texas

13. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

Hi UPnorth, I see two good choices here. 1)Measure the length of pull that fits you, took off the stock and send it to Tron. He will cut to length, install adjust comb, and install a pad. Great work and quick turn around.

2)Buy a used set of wood, rough & cheap, do the same thing as mentioned above, send to Tron. Then when it's back, have it painted to whatever tickles your fancy. Then shoot it, if you sell it, now you have the original and a stock that will sell to a number kids or small stature shooters. Thanks David

14. zinger

zinger Member

Considering that gun fit is 99% of this game, why would you be looking for a quick "out of the box" fit? Just about any gun off the shelf with no adjustments probably fits 1% of us. If you are serious about being competitive, and want to be consistant, do whatever you can afford to make one gun fit you and the other gun fit your daugther. This way, you'll both have guns fitted to you and you'll have fun breaking more targets. JMO

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

North, the first thing to do is find out _why_ you "cannot hit squat with the BT99." You don't, yet, know if a better-fitting stock will help at all.

I guess it's too long, but that's not gong to cost you many - if any - birds at all. Are you to the side? Are you way over the barrel? Too low?

As always, your solution is to take the gun to a pattern board and at 13 (or so) yards off a rest find out where it shoots. Then pair that information with what you see when you shoot it and see if the sort of changes you are thinking of will do what you want.

But I have to say, not hitting squat is a poor prognosis for eventual satisfaction. I'd sell it and get another 391. That's what you shoot well, after all.

Neil

16. garza

garza TS Member

i have a short stock off an 70's bt99 that i would like to trade for a full size stock. if it helps in your delemma

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.