1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting stock for an adjustable comb?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vatrap, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vatrap

vatrap Member

Mostly out of curiosity, I was wondering what tool(s) the stock makers use to cut a stock for an adjustable comb? I was thinking of trying one myself on an old semi auto that I like to shoot at sporting clays.

I have an extra stock and its snowing again here tonight, so I need to find a project to keep me busy for a couple of days.

Mike

2. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Band Saw? with a fine blade?

3. pjh

pjh Member

I use a band saw once the stock has been mounted in a fixture to keep the blade perpendicular to the stock. I place masking tape on the stock. Trace the path of the bolt hole. Once is see the bolt hole layout then I can layout the thickness of the comb. The comb has to be thick enough to accommodate the hardware. There also has to be enough wood left above the bolt hole for the hardware as well.
    get your hardware first so you know how to move forward. the layout is the key!

4. vatrap

vatrap Member

That was about what I expected, and of course I have just about everything I need except a band saw. One of my furniture making friends has one I can use.

I have four or five professionally cut stocks and I just was not sure what they used to get such a smooth cut.

I have already made a jig to hold the stock flat on the cutting table. Good advice about marking out the stock bolt hole and drawing the layout from there.

Mike

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Go for it Mike. I have cut several and it is nor really difficult. Saw marks are easily sanded off. A narrow band saw blade is easier to use when turning the corners, a wide blade is easier to use when making the long straight cut. You will probably be best served by a 1/4" fine toot blade. Some like to make the front cut as a straight line about 45 degrees from the comb and then go to the rear and make the long cut so that it meets the front cut. Remember to leave enough space below the cut to inlet the hardware and not get into the draw bolt hole.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cut stock for adjustable comb

cutting an adjustable comb

cutting stock for adjustable comb

how to cut adjustable comb

how to cut an adjustable comb

how to cut stock for adjustable comb

what saw for cutting stock comb