Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutting Stitching on Rem 12S Wads????

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  JonP 
#1 ·
We're having a debate among the TGT-12S users at our club. Some are adamant that you need to split/cut the stitching between the petals before you reload them - I say you don't and have never had a problem with loading them the way they come right out of the bag.

It would seem that when they get crammed up against the crimp during firing - and then the high speed friction and cramming run down the barrel - it gets done for you and and I've never picked up a fired one that didn't have all the petals flexed back evenly. Also, I dought that Remington does this additional step when they manufacture STS and Nitro 27s.

What say other TGT-12S reloaders? Does anyone know if Remington does?

Jon

#3 ·
Jon ..... “What say other TGT-12S reloaders? Does anyone know if Remington does?” ..... Question: Which Remington packaged shells are the TGT-12S wads used in? ..... How many of those shells have you cut open to observe if Remington has cut the pedals of the TGT-12S wads prior to packaging? ..... Myself I think cutting the pedals apart on any wad prior to loading is a non productive aspect of the process of reloading as any stitching of the wad pedals will be torn apart as it passes through the chock and/or as it exits the barrel and the wad is still pushing the shot column…..But then again you may want to “Go-Fish”.

#4 ·
For what it`s worth, when rem. first started with the stiches, I loaded 10 rounds each of cut stiches, and uncut. I fired 5 of each at 4 different pattern targets, and found no difference. The only conclusion I could see is if you feel better cutting the stiches, go for it.

Tom R.

#5 ·
Yes, I am "fishing" to see if there is a consensus among TGT-12S users. I've never bought STS or Nitro 27s to cut one open - if someone volunteers one to me I certainly will. I know others on this site that have extensive knowledge of those loads and would like to hear from them how it is that Remington loads THEIR wads.

Also, just want to hear from others what they've seen, heard, or experienced - if you think it's a stupid question - don't waste your time here.

Tom R.: Thanks for inputting your actual patterning experience as I come to the same conclusion and I still won't waste my time cutting them.

Thanks for your time.

Jon

#7 ·
Hello Folks,

The stitched top is for high speed loaders (OEM style). Where the wads set in a vibratory bowl, this is used to position / align the wad so that they will feed into the machine. In some machines they drop into a tube and then the over powder cup falls into the shot cup on the one below it. Otherwise the lock together or nest.

Here is the photos of the DRRF8 & DRRT 12.

Thanks

Kevin @ 402-463-3415

#8 ·
During my short test with the stitched wads, I found just placing a wad on the wad ram would usually break a couple of the stitches. I think we would pretty much guarantee that none of the stitches are still intact after the process of being shot. IMHO, it's absurd to think the stitches need to be cut or broken before loading.....Bob Dodd

#9 ·
I never cut a stich on the 10 thousand that I used. They worked great for both 1 oz and 7/8oz. In fact the stiched wads were a added benifit when loaded on my P/W 900 which drops shot on a different station than wad insertion. The only reason I stopped using them was the high cost. I am looking forward to trying Kevin's DRRT 12 samples.
--- Chip King ---

#11 ·
I have been reloading the "Original Windjammer" wad for some time. I have loaded them in both 1oz. and 11/8oz. and have never worried about the stitches, nor have I suffered inferior patterns. If ANY wad company wanted the stitches to be broken prior to reloading a shell they would come with instructions telling you to do so. Can you imagine some poor guy sitting in front of the TV one night dutifully cutting the stitches on 5000 wads before he reloads them?......lol....Dan Thome (Trap2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.