1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cutting off a stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by edthearcher, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

cutting off a stock. I want to shorten a stock. I have about every tool one could ask for. but do you use a table saw if so how many teeth in the blade. my fear is will it leave chips out on the bottom. I have heard you can wrap the part to be cut with masking tape. also is it necessary to remove the action. thanks any help is appricated Ed Ackley

2. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

Before you get in over your head with your project, I would suggest you just take it to a competent gunsmith and have the job done properly. In my shop we cut stocks and install pads and recoil dampening devices almost on a daily basis. If there isn't a gunsmith in your area, just contact my shop and we would be happy to do the job for you.

Steve Fischer
    Fischer Gunsmithing.

3. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I do a lot of recoil pads. First, tape around the stock with masking tape. Mark your line of cut on the tape. I use a band saw with fine tooth blade to make the cut. Once the stock is cut off I use a disc sander to smooth the stock and remove any saw marks. Remove the masking tape. You are ready to fit your butt plate or recoil pad.
    Good luck. Bob

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

A stock can be successfully cut with a table saw, a band saw, a chop saw and a hand miter box (if you can find one). First, make certain that the blade is parallel with the existing stock butt. This requires elevating the neck of the stock with a pad that is taped onto the stock. You can tape just above the line you want to cut but I found it easier, for me, to scribe a line rather deep along the intended cut. The line should be deepest around the last area of the wood that is to be cut off. When I used a table saw (+- 72 teeth on a 12 inch blade) I also used the fence. I know the wood cut off on a table saw is not supposed to be between the blade and the fence, but this is what I did. When cutting any wood on a power saw, it is important to use a steady pressure on the wood. Forcing the wood can change the angle of the cut. If you want to cut off 2 inches, you can practice by only cutting off one inch the first time.

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

5. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

thanks guys

6. vdt

vdt Active Member

i use a 80 tooth 5deg. negitive ser 12" blade i had it made just to cut gun stocks ,set the blade as high as it goes in hight and yes tape all your cut,i made a jig to hold stock ,slow and steady is the secret,and a sharp blade....vdt

7. G-12

G-12 TS Member

If you're dead set on this do it yourself project take a look on You Tube
    for video instructions.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I always use a Carbide tipped tipped blade, I tape the stock, remove the action, I mark the tape with the angle of cut desired, I use the square on the table was that is adjustable and lock it to my angle of cut, I usually make 2 cuts to check the angle to be sure it is perfect. If I had my drethers I would use a Radial Arm Saw, make the cut slowly and even steady pressure.

I then finish sand it w/a belt sander.

Make a thin first cut even if it is just to clean up at the angle you want, check it for angle, I shoot a zero pitch, to check it I stand the gun and stock against a wall and make sure the rib is paralell to the wall and have the stock taped and mark the stock with a straight edge on a hard wood floor.

I have done this many, many times.

Band saw unless it is a big one, the blade walks and makes an uneven cut,
    That is why I prefer Radial Arm Saw.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Dr.Longshot

To fit the recoil pad after cutting, put the pad on the gun and scribe a mark around it.

I would buy the jig from Brownells and use a belt sander to fit the pad. It is a jig that hangs and pivots and sands the toe of the stock at correct angle for a nice finished job.

Brownells part#610-100-000AA 1F00XCH It's on page 133 It is called Recoil Pad Fitting Jig, it is fully adjustable It is Made by B&R $50.00
    Brownells # 1-800-741-0015 I have catalog #60

You can also buy Kickeze pads or Gooey pads from them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What Pat Ireland said

11. maka

maka Member

I do a lot of woodworking, ie... furniture, cabnets, ect. When I want to shorten a stock, I tape it with 3 inch masking tape. I then take a pair of dividers with the sharp end as close to the inside edge of the existing recoil pad or butt plate; as possible. I then scribe that outline onto the tape at the line you want to cut it. I happen to have a combo vari-speed and angle hand scroll saw. I use the fines blade and highest speed. This way you can maintain the same pitch as the old pad or plate. Hope this helps. Other ideas also look good.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Masking tape, Miter box with hand saw, support receiver to make the angle of the cut right.........

Worked perfect for me.

HM

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- With my radial arm saw, the blade tends to dig into the wood and pull the blade/motor back too fast.

Pat Ireland

14. Dr.Longshot

Pat I never had that problem using carbide tipped blade

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.