1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting down sub gauge tubes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bubbaw, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

Anyone ever cut down a set of subgauge tubes? I shoot the Briley Sidekicks, and was just wondering if anyone had ever tried to cut down some full length to the center post that matches the barrel diameter? Why you might ask, so you could still shoot cheap loads and take out the weight. Just wondering.....

William

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

That center post doesn't match barrel diameter. The center post is there to cut down on barrel flexing and vibration.

3. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

That is probably true, assuming the tubes were made for that barrel. Mine were not, I fitted them myself and they match my barrel diameter. I appreciate your input.

William

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

To state the obvious, you wouldn't have any choke or means for choke.

5. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

Maybe, maybe not. Changing chokes in my 12 certainly effect the pattern with the 20 and 28 gauge Briley short tubes. Not so much with the 410's. What I am not sure about is how much length you need in your 12 gauge barrel to effect pattern with a set of cut down full length tubes, or even if it is possible. Take care,

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You'd be better off having Briley convert your tubes back to sidekicks (I know they can convert "up" to full length from sidekick).

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Go for it- if you machined your tubes down they arent worth anything and Briley wont touch them

What do you have to lose?

Now remember the shot cup might touch the side of the existing chokes if it is more than 6 inches or so from the muzzle ( Briley often makes shorter than full length tubes to order- Todd Bender shot them for years and still might- I think they said 4-6 inches shorter is max or it might touch the existing choke walls in the 12 gauge barrel)

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

20 guage tubes only need to be about 4 inches long and the chokes in the 12 guage barrel work fine. The 410 tubes need to be a lot longer do to the slow burning powder and light shot load. HMB

9. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

Thanks for all the input. I will let you know the results, if I decide to cut them down. Take care,

William

10. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Short tubes were quite common in the '80's. They were about 22" in length & were fitted usually to a Tula choke 28" bbl because of the big end bell. They also were used in a normal 28" bbl to cut some weight out & also to keep the wt. more toward the back.
    They worked just like a regular tube,had fixed or removable chokes. They came out with the Ultralite tube sets & this negated a lot of the need.

11. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Be prepared for some long barrel-cleaning sessions after shooting a bunch of shells in short tubes. Ron

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I had 30" Briley Ultra light tubes made for my 34" Perazzi barrels and the 12 ga chokes don't affect the patterns. No problem cleaning, nor was it a problem when I used to use Chambermates which were regulated by the 12 ga chokes.

13. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Bubbaw, I got a set of Companion tubes that had been belt sanded on the middle lug to fit in a smaller barrel diameter than they were bought for.
    I put them in my lathe and turned them to clean them up and be concentric with the bore. I cut the tubes off in front of the lugs. I then made caps out of aluminum and (press fitted)fitted them to the tubes and turned the outside to match my barrel bore. The inside bore of the caps are slightly larger than the bore diameter of the tubes so the tubes are fixed CB. I have been shooting them for quite some time now and they work very well. BTW the are 28ga fit into a 12ga. I might add, I have a full set of Rhino tubes and they are only this long.
    Here are some pics:

smithy47_2008_030360.jpg

smithy47_2008_030361.jpg

14. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I cut down a set of 410/28 from companions, a hacksaw, file and good eye will do it, but I eventually dressed the face on a lathe.I cut them after the first full diameter,they are within .010 of bore dia.,so if to use in different guns---just wrap that section with aluminum tape and trim,I use a micrometer to know how many wraps of tape.[ 3.14x diameter= the length for 1 complete wrap].

Bore snake makes short work of the fouling,and oil them sparingly as that contributes to the sludge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

if i cut rhino sub gauge tubes down will they work

subgaugetubesetshowtheywork