1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cutting detent slots in magazine cap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

if I wanted to make my own mag cap weight, how would I go about cutting the slots/grooves for the forend detent (rem 1100)? Everything else seems pretty straight forward, but I dunno how to cut the slots for the detent ball evenly.

2. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Lay it out and use a hand mill (file)..........Roger

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Attach the weight to the old cap, Drill hole in center of cap and insert screw to hold weight. HMB

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

perazzi- I figured there was something like that to make it easy,,,searched the web for about an hour, but didn't know the correct name for it.

hmb- that is the easy LOL. I tend to make things as difficult as possible LOL

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want the best possible weight for recoil reduction, cast a lead cylinder that weighs about 8 ozs. and place it in the magazine tube, infront of the magazine tube spring. If you want you can place another 8 oz cylinder in the butt stock to keep the balance of the gun the same. HMB

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMD- Some 45 years ago I shot an 870 trap gun. I put a weight in front of the magazine spring as you suggested. It would move back 4-5 inches when the gun was fired and I convinced myself that it was a good recoil reducer. At that time Edwards made the only commercial recoil reducer and my system worked much like his.

Pat Ireland

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A slight flange on the weight holds it in place. I have one such, made for mag tubes. weighs one lb.

HM

8. Mark V

Mark V Member

I installed an unused chamber weight, normally put in the unused chamber of an o/u, in my 391. I put mine after the spring, puts the weight more between the hands. Weight moves forward against the mag spring during recoil.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

HM- In my 870, putting some lead in an empty hull and turning it backward worked well. The flange on the hull base was enough to hold it in place. It did make some noise as the weighted hull compressed the spring and then moved back to the front of the magazine tube.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.