1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Cutting a synthetic stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Have a youth shooter with a Beretta 390 that needs at least 1/2" cut on his stock. I have done wood stocks before but never a synthetic. Any help or ideas with this one?
  2. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

Paneling blade in a miter saw. Tape it off, mark it and cut it.

Chad
  3. PatMiles

PatMiles Member

Before you cut it pull the buttpad off and look at the bosses that are molded in for the buttpad mounting screws. If you whack off 1/2" will there be enough of the bosses left to remount the buttpad? Measure twice... cut once.

Pat
  4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

Buy another stock and cut it. Save the factory stock for the value of the gun. I for one will discount the gun because the stock was cut.
  5. Leo

Leo Active Member

I have never cut a composite Beretta stock, but I have cut a composite stock. I ended up cutting into a hollow void. I was able to carve a piece of wood and epoxy glue the wood in so I could attach butt plate hardware Even though I really cleaned everything, the glued block came loose. Some composites do not accept glues. After cleaning everything again, I used another kind of glue and I added three small screws to each side. Kind of a frankenstine looking deal, but it held up until my boy was big enough to shoot a full sized gun. Good Luck
  6. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

Pat,

Good advice. I have cut things twice and they were still too short. :)

Chad
  7. RobertT

RobertT Active Member

Post a wtb here for a stock that has already been cut, never know what will turn up and may save money when the kid grows out of the short stock.

Robert
  8. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I use a bandsaw to cut them off and then sand it smooth. You really need to look at what is inside. If there is a rib inside to screw the recoil pad back onto, you are OK. If not, it gets complicated. Here is a picture of how I had to fit an aluminum piece into a plastic stock so the screw holes for a new recoil pad would fit. Good luck. Bob

smithy47_2008_030355.jpg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.