1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

???Cutting a Stock for an Adjustable Comb???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RSVP410, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

I am trying to get up the nerve to try my hand at installing an adjustable comb on my trap gun. I have experience with fitting and finishing stocks but have not done an adjustable comb yet. The fitting the hardware is easy but cutting the stock has me nervous.

Can any provide some suggestions or refer me to some instructions? I will be using a bench top band saw and expect to make a holding fixture so my biggest concern is laying out an appropriate shape and pattern.

Thanks!
    Scott

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Tron, This one is on you.

3. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Rule #1...Tape the stock and draw/layout the stockbolt hole on the tape with a pencil.
    Rule#2.... Dont cut into the hole
    To do a good comb, you must execute a flat cut, no humps or bobbles. Jig up some 2x4s and practice your cut on them first. Youll be glad you did. Recommended saw blade= 1/4 14 TPI to minimize flaking. Thats all the trade secrets I can stand for 1 day. Todd Nelson

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Be sure to map out the bolt hole and any other obstructions that might interfere with the cutting process. Make sure that, after cutting, there is enough room under the cut to install the hardware and that there are no holes from previous installations of recoil reducers.(they may have to be filled prior to cutting). Remember your saw kerf will be about 1/16" and you'll probably sand another 1/32" off both the top and bottom of the cut for a total of 1/8" Be sure that the comb cut is deep enough to accept the bushings without comming through the top.

<a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/EdwardYanchok/?action=view┬Ąt=combmap01.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Good luck,

Ed Yanchok

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Don't cut into the stock bolt hole!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cutting a gun stock for adjustable comb

cutting stock for adjustable comb