1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting a barrel down?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Anybody ever have a barrel cut down? What does it mess up if anything. Was thinking about buying a gun and having the barrel cut down to fit a youth shooter, and having screw in chokes installed. Just curious if anyone has ever done it or am I just wasting money?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Seems like a good way to ruin a gun. There are various youth model shotguns that will do the job. Or start the youngster off with a 20 ga, less recoil and smokes targets with an IM choke.

Eric

3. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

My son started off with a Winchester 1400 in 20 ga, modified choke and I got a cheapo extra stock, and took off 2"

He was shooting 22s and 23s at 9 years old. Now, he kicks a$$ with a 12 ga. 1400, full size ( he's 12)

Stock is one think, barrel another, IMO.

4. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

My daughter was having trouble holding up the front. I thought it was the kong barrel, but then she shot a beretta 3901 12ga RL w/28" bbl with no problem. It's the stock length/leverage/balance point that matters.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I will not cut the factory stock or barrel. I will cut a extra stock or barrel that I bought off a site or Ebay. I will then take the factory item and put it in the closet. To cut the factory item is reducing the value of the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.