1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cutaway pics of AA hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zoot, Sep 20, 2013.

1. zoot

zoot Member

Someone posted pics of some AA cutaway pics and difference of old style, Gen2 and Gen3 hulls. Could someone help me find that post
    thankx zoot

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

First generation 2pc on the left. Second generation 2pc in the middle. Old 1pc on the right.

[​IMG]

3. Maurice

Maurice Member

mac1, you only need to make a small adjustment to your pre-crimp station to cure the problem. Why blame the hulls? Maurice ( The Brit. )

4. TD1958

TD1958 Member

It's not just making an adjustment. Those hulls have lodged a lot of there base wads in very expensive barrels. Besides that you cannot get very many loads out of them. Just Say'N Tim

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have a couple of thousand once fired of those beauties, on the right, for sale.

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

TD1058... I keep hearing about all the AA base wads getting stuck in bbls but it would be publish proof that this has happened to anyone let alone happen frequently. I'm sure you have it on good account, you know.... your buddies cousin has a friend who's nephew had a blow up over a wad from an AA hull.

Barry, how many hulls do you have, what price, and where would they be shipping from?

7. zoot

zoot Member

Grntitan: do you have the other pic and explanation of the front of the AA
    shells. Thankx much zoot

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

zoot,

See if this helps. Its some older pics I did on another thread some time ago.

Here is a pic of the current production 2pc AA. They have the AA with a line underneath. The case head should be stamped HS for High Strength. These are the same as the cut apart hull in the center in the above pic.

[​IMG]

These are first generation 2pc AA's and cut apart will look like the grey hulls in the left. They do not have the HS on the case. They have AA in a large box. Like these red ones below.
    [​IMG]

Finally these are the old one piece compression formed AA's and in my opinion the best hull ever made.
    They have the AA in a smaller box.

[​IMG]

9. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

"From: yakimaman
    TD1058... I keep hearing about all the AA base wads getting stuck in bbls but it would be publish proof that this has happened to anyone let alone happen frequently. I'm sure you have it on good account, you know.... your buddies cousin has a friend who's nephew had a blow up over a wad from an AA hull."

I'm not going to say that this is an extremely common problem, but I have personally seen the base wads in the new AA's both migrate up in the hull, as well as coming out of the hull and lodge in the barrel. On all occasions, the shooters have been checking their barrels before loading again, and no problem has occurred. I have also had 2 factory AA's that the case head fell completely off of upon opening the action. So while I'm not saying everyone is going to have issues with these hulls, it is prevalent enough to cause many shooters, including myself, to doubt the reliability of the new design hull. Garrett

10. zoot

zoot Member

grntitan Thankx again very much

11. Barry C. Roach

2000 @ .08 ea. shipped from 62034. Some red and some silver. The best ever. All of my hulls were from bygone Vandalia Grand Americans. Oldtimers will tell you that the AA's back then were loaded on a special production run to assure top quality. I know 8 cents is a lot but they're worth it. Barry

12. FLIP

FLIP Member

base wad old problem

13. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Been loading for 52 years Have never seen a AA based wad stuck in a barrel Have seen them on the ground at our club. Found out that the lawn mower cause the separation. I do believe it has happened and still could. I do know that when Winchester started the two piece hull, (the base wad was white and that is the ONLY ones I have ever seen on the ground) they had separation problems and worked to fix it---as far as I am concerned, they did.

Hole in middle? Post above is correct. I load on three different loaders, 2 PW's and an RCBS Grand. The hole will go away if adjusted properly. The key is hull length. Set your hulls on the table and run your fingers over the top. You will find a very slite difference in length in different hull runs. If you set your loader for old hulls that are longer than the new ones, and then load a new one you get a hole. if you set your loader for the new hull, shorter, hole goes away BUT load a old hull it will kink at the top. It is a very small length difference but 1/64" on one side makes 1/32" when both side are folded down. Result--HOLE or KINK Pay attention to your hulls.

14. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Well Yukmann, No I do not have a documentary film as your self proclaimed intelligence level would make all believe needs to be. Stick your head in the sand long enough, and yes I will leave the rest to you. Tim

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Winchester quietly fixed the problem. When the first change was made, you could cut the case down the sides and flick the base wad out with your thumb. The last time I tried this, I tore the case up trying to get the base wad out.

AND yes, I have seen the base wads come out! But not for a long time.

Ajax

16. hardrite

hardrite Member

Maurice is right, just tried it and problem solved. Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Wow Tim, I didn't mean to hurt your wittle feelings, just looking for proof that what you're saying is true. I think it's wise for any reloader to look down the bbl when putting in the next shell and I do so. But I've shot thousands of AA reloads and have never had an issue. So wipe your eyes and go ask the guy who told you they knew guys with expensive bbls and AA shells lodged there(sic)wad in them.

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Jim Porter, I load, predominately, the new AA's. Been using them since the beginning. The only loose basewads I have seen were also hit by a lawnmower. I have my PW adjusted for the shortest AA's, no taper, and everything else loads just fine.

You say " BUT load a old hull it will kink at the top." If I load the old AA's I always get a few with a wrinkle in the fold. Is that what you are talking about?

I have shell holders in my PW and the old AA's come loose from the shell holders. Because of that and the wrinkles in the fold I will not use the older hulls. PW discontinued the shell holders because of that. The new AA's never come loose in the shell holders.

19. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Grntitan and Zoot,

The pictures are actually of the 1st and 3rd Generation (current) hulls.

The 2nd Generation was just AA, no box or underline.

Jason

20. Barry C. Roach

I have some pre-primed old style AA's that have never been loaded. When you rub the inside of the plastic hull it's as smooth as a baby's butt. The once fired ones feel like fine grit sandpaper.

I wonder how much performance difference that makes.