1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cut the Cutts on Win Mdl 12?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I have a very nice Model 12, solid rib, 26" barrel with a Cutts hanging on the end. This seemed to be a popular thing to do back in the day. I'm thinking of having Simmons or Wright, cut the Cutts off and somehow choke the barrel....opinions? Thanks WC

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I've had the same thought WC. The deterrent is that you will change the balance considerably. That's the only thing that's made me hesitant to do it.

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

You can add barrel weights...

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A classic skeet gun from the 40's.

I wouldn't.

There are some M12's around here with the Cutts barrel for skeet, and an extra barrel/slide assembly for ducks and trap. It was the way to go back then.

HM

5. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I have a very nice Model 12, solid rib, 26" barrel with a Cutts hanging on the end. This seemed to be a popular thing to do back in the day. I'm thinking of having Simmons or Wright, cut the Cutts off and somehow choke the barrel....opinions? Thanks WC

6. Bob Hawkes

I've had the same thought WC. The deterrent is that you will change the balance considerably. That's the only thing that's made me hesitant to do it.

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

You can add barrel weights...

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A classic skeet gun from the 40's.

I wouldn't.

There are some M12's around here with the Cutts barrel for skeet, and an extra barrel/slide assembly for ducks and trap. It was the way to go back then.

HM

9. Bob Hawkes

You're right HM, and they do swing nice. For quite a few yers my favorite bird gun was the 12 in 20 or 16 ga. with the old "dial-a-choke's" on them. Still have them in nice wood, great bird gn in the field. That time of year, almost:)

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

If retaining its value not a consern, go for it. Or start looking for a replacement barrel.

If it has any collectable value, leave it on.

11. johnpe

johnpe Member

Keep the Cutts!! It may look strange or even ugly, but it works!!!! Back before barrel sets and tube sets became fashionable they DOMINATED the skeet fields. They still can. I have Cutts Compensators on two M12 Skeet guns - 12 and 20 gauges and one on a Remington 11-48 28 gauge skeet gun. I wouldn't think of changing them. They all shoot well. I've never been a skeet shooter, but when I do shoot a round or two, they perform extremely well.

Johnpe

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Were the Cutts sweated on or threaded? If you have to cut the Cutts off it'll leave a rather short barrel and wide open choke.

13. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I would not cut it off. My wife has a M12 20 ga. skeet gun she shot for years. We found a WS-2 barrel without the Cutts and had Simmons install it. There is or perhaps was a "vintage skeet" movement and I wound up selling the Cutts barrel to a gentleman in the Atlanta area for what I paid for the replacement barrel. The Cutts choke tubes are becoming scarce also. Shoot it and enjoy it. Its a great little gun.

14. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Don't cut it!. Sell it to me if you don't want the Cutts.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Here is the "Super Comp" I designed some 25 years ago.. It takes the place of the Lyman Cutts with no other modifications.. It has a .725 bore size and not only was designed for the newer plastic wads.. but performs fantastic.. It reduces a huge amount of perceived recoil and patterns fantastic.. Many I installed over 28" full choke barrels with the choke still intact.. adding a Super Full after it.. It's long range performance is still legendary with some of the duck hunters.. I'd hope you'd consider keeping the Cutts.. it to works well..and chokes are still avaiable from Brownell as well as E-bay..

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Best skeet choke ever made!!

17. johnboy

johnboy Member

If it was an aftermarket Cutts and I wanted it off I would not pause. If it was a factory Cutts I would give it a second thought. If it does not have a choke mark on the barrel it was factory installed.

18. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

I believe there are some folks who would like to have your barrel ?

i hate it when i find a gun i like and someone has altered something that is not reversible ?? porting, etc

leave it alone or get another barrel is just my thoughts ??

19. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

Keep the Cutts. The recoil reduction is significant. The chokes pattern well in all the constrictions and to see a skeet target hit with a Cutts spreader choke, particularly with a shell without shot cup, is a thing to behold. The target breaks in hundreds of same size pieces, there is no smoke and the pieces fall straight down as if the target was thrown into a wall. I started shooting skeet in the 60's in California and watched Kenny Barnes shoot model 12's and 42 w/ Cutts (he shot the first 4x4 w/ the pump guns) and it was something to see. Also, if you watch videos of Herb Parsons, the Winchester exhibition shooter shot Cutts equipped guns.
    Chuck

20. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If the barrel is 26" including the cutts, leave it on unless you need a riot gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 11-48 28 gauge with a lyman cutts compensator