1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Van ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Looking to construct a shooting van. The pupose of the van will be for transportation between multiday shoots and to give me a plass to chill between events. Equipment would be 120v a/c, portable genset, work bench ,a couch, and gun and shell storage. I will still be staying in motels overnight.

The big Dodge sprinters are too high.

Now its down to GMC,Chevy & or Ford. Which one of these would you pick,which eng, etc. Last van I purchased were E-150 with a small V-8.

Phil Berkowitz

2. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

Depending on how much you want to put in it you can do an extended E150 Ford. The new ones have 8500GVW so it can handle anything you can put in it.
    Ken Hassis

3. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

I think the Ford Transport, Truck of the Year, is a start.
    Dave

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ford Transport looks a bit underpowered, but very "cute"...I'd look for a Chevy/GMC with a Duramax diesel. But I'm biased.

5. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Well.. when it comes to full size vans, there is clearly only one smart choice...
    ..FORD...

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Which ever one you decide on, make sure to insulate it well. Those cargo vans start getting real noisy driving down the road. Those shells make for a great echo chamber.

Since you are going to sort of custom build whatever you chose, I'd go without windows in the sides and some sort of verticle secure/lockable gun storage. If you put your lockable storage on the floor, you'll loose a lot of head room.

I'd really enjoy see whatever you come up with.

FWIW, I'm a GM guy at heart.

ss

7. JRW

JRW Member

If you went with gun storage on floor it could double as seating. I agree you want one without windows if you are parking in motel at night. Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.