1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom SX-1 and Ken Hurst Engraving

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Baron23, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Hi guys - below are the pictures I have to date of the SX-1 project that I am doing with the master Ken Hurst as the engraver, Boone Berlin, also of North Carolina, as the stock smith, and Ernest Marlette (well, he's from Winston Salem and that's in NC also) as the gunsmith. The wood blank came from Cecil Fredi of Las Vegas and there is no more honest or easier man to work with in my experience.

The project is almost there, so I though that in addition to posting the latest pictures of the left side inlayed animal engraving, I would just show everthing in sort of a chronological order.

I hope you enjoy viewing the work of these craftsmen as much as I do.

Below is just one picture of the blank

[​IMG]

Below is the right side of the receiver showing wood ducks going into flooded cyprus swamp...I don't know if the resolution is good enough, but try to find the turtle in the scene

[​IMG]

Below are pictures of the left side which is still in progress. Its a couple of short haired pointers flushing a pheasant. When done (which will be soon) there will be rolling grasslands with tumble down barn and fencing....similar level of detail in the scene as with the left side. There are also a couple of close ups of two of the inlays. Please keep in mind these were taken by Ken's wife and without the benefit of a macro lens...these are basically snapshots and the real McCoy is something to see first hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly some pictures of the stock. The fore end shot is prior to checkering and has thick initial soak coats of oil on it (this is a hand rubbed oil finish). Then there are some shots of the butt stock, with checkering, but still not done with final finish coats...although its looking pretty good at this point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Baron23

Photobucket was getting a little balky, so I posted what I had in there...just one more pictuer.

Here are a few parts already polished and blued by Ernest Marlette. I really like the engraving on the fore end cap.

[​IMG]

If interested in contacting any of these artisans of gun craft;

Ken Hurst - (910) 221-5288

Boone Berlin - (910) 220-3332

Ernest Marlette - (336) 456-1818 or (336) 761-0433

Cheers

Stephen Meyers

3. chuckles

chuckles Member

Awesome...

4. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Can`t wait to see the finished gun, spectacular work! Timeless classic shotgun.

5. twopipe

twopipe Member

To die for !!!!!!!!

6. Baron23

On behalf of the artisans that performed the work, I offer my thanks.

Below are a few pictures that more or less were the art models for this project. This was my contribution...rather minor. Note, there are great similarities and some very real differences between the art models and the actual engraving. Its my opinion that you have to be willing to work with an engraver and let him interpret your desires into something that he/she can execute in metal and on the space allowed. So, ducks over a farm pond went to cyprus swamp and Ken and I discussed this and I couldn't be happier. I think on the left side, the farm house is going to morph into a tumble down barn...again, my view is you can only offer guidance, general themes and aesthic areas of emphasis, then you have to let them do what they do best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wonderful!!.. that's why I keep that field gun hidden away for future embellishment....

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

JUST AN AWSOME WOW GUN!!!! That SuperX is too pretty to shoot! Hap

9. Alpha_Three_Niner

Alpha_Three_Niner TS Member

Hey Baron-
    I am envious... The SX-1 "Carolina Special" that Ken and Boone are doing for me should have been done by now, but I spent two years searching for that special stock blank. Bobby Emrick at Scattergun Stocks had the blank I was searching for. Boone should be cutting soon!

10. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

excuse me I must go get a towel . that's awesome sir !!!! Jeff

11. Baron23

Alpa Three Niner - well, two years looking for a stick of wood is quite a piece of time, but I fully understand. When you do a project like this, you want what you want and nothing else will do. Where is Scattergun Stocks located? Are they in NC also?

1oz - thank you sir and yes, it will be shot. Not an everyday shooter, I have a couple of other SX-1s for that, but it will be shot. I have sent Mr. Hollingsworth stocks for adjustable combs and the like in the past. I always found his work to be excellent and his turn around time to be quick. What is he doing for Boone...duplication?

I need to mention that the checkering was done by Mr. John Reese of Montana. I have posted the link to his web site, Custom Diamonds, in the header of this post. This checkering job is not very ornate by choice. I felt that with the complexity of the engraving and the figure in the wood, it was best to keep the checkering pattern elegant rather than B Grade type carved. I wanted enough to show that it was a custom job and to match the degree of work in the rest of the gun, but I did not want anything that would detract from the overall lines of the gun nor compete with the engraving for attention. John did a perfect job and I would highly recommend him.

I think it was MAL-53 who paid this work the compliment of being "classic" and "timeless". I thank you, sir. This is most gratifying as these were two characteristics I strived to ensure were embodied in the final product as much as could be done.

The last thing I would like to say is that all of the artisans mentioned as having worked on this gun are not only highly skilled artists and craftsmen, they are each and everyone also men of outstanding character. Honesty and integrity are two other words that come to mind as I think of Ken, Boone, Ernest, and John. If you are contemplating doing a project gun, this is equally as important as their portfolio of prior work. There are many wonderful people in the gun trade...and some not so wonderful. Those mentioned herein belong in the prior category.

Thank you to all the people who complimented the work of these men as shown in this gun. Please call any of them if you wish to have any similar custom work done. They are the A team, for certain.

Stephen Meyers

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Stephen Meyers , What a work of art! I knew when you started this it would be awesome but it is truly breath taking. Jeff

13. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Stephen, hope you`ll share the finished photos when the project is done, can`t wait to see it!! Since I grew up & live bout 28 miles from where that gun was
    born on Winchester ave. (it WAS Winchester country here in CT ). I have a soft spot for the SX-1.I have two of them. both are great smokepoles. Too bad they moved, they were great for service, no hassels, no cost either.
    Colt, Ruger & Marlin are still here also,and not too far away.CT. is a small state but it is very big in firearms history.
    Well I am starting to ramble, it`snowing outside we`re due for 5-10" tonite but nothing else better to do than talk guns and trapshooting, thanks guys breakmall Mark L.

14. Baron23

Hi Jeff - coming from you, that's the highest compliment I can imagine.

Mark L - Yes, when I have the prof grade photos done of the receiver in white, then again when its blued and assembled, I will indeed share the photos. The picture of the wood duck/flooded swamp side of receiver was taken by me with a pocket digital camera. I know the difference in detail from the real thing to that photo so I'm pretty sure that as good as the pheasant and dog photos look, the real thing will be more so. I'm hoping that my friend, who has shot layouts for some fairly high en gun magazines before, will be able to capture this detail so it can be shared.

In truth, although I'm egotistical enough to enjoy the attention that "my" gun is getting, the true purpose of posting these photos is to give credit and exposure to the artisans and what they can do. It might inspire someone to start a project gun and give these guys another chance to do their profession. I want to thank everyone for letting me do so.

Cheers

Stephen Meyers

15. finger

finger TS Member

Stephen: What can I say? Words do not do this SX-1 justice. awesome comes closest perhaps. I cannot wait to see it in person. Will you let me touch her?

And a favor to consider. You would do me proud if we could photograph your beauty with my Baumgart memorial gun. Perhaps you would not be impressed, but its the only way I can think of to get a photo of your gun on my wall. Absolutely spectacular and does the artisans, and your choice of engraving, wood etc very proud indeed. Well done my friend. Do consider having it entered in the gunmakers guild competitions. bob finger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

engraved sx1

ken hurst engraving