1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BustClays, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BustClays

BustClays Member

I recently purchased a Carl Gustafs 1896 Mauser which has been customized. I have discovered some nice things and some curious things. Nice Timney trigger about 2#, great stock and bluing job, nice 22" barrel with nicely cut recessed crown. Curious, has side mounted safety ike a Remington. Curious for a Swede Mauser, it cocks the bolt on opening rather than on closing. The bolt has no identifying numbers, everything else matches the serial number which puts its date of manufacture around 1901. Can anybody tell me why my bolt behaves the way it does?
    Thanks much,
    Bustclays
    Bob Clark
    <a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/rdrnr/?action=view&current=carlgustafs.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. larryjk

larryjk Member

Bustclays, The reason your Mauser cocks on opening the bolt is because a gunsmith has installed a "cock on opening" kit. They were available from Numrich. If the safety is on the side like a Remington the trigger has been changed to most likely one made by Timney. Your rifle has the important changes. From the picture, it looks like you got a nice shooter.

3. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

Have same identical mauser, right down to the custom stock and Timney triggger. Mine cocks on close.

Mark

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know about the mods but that looks like a great rifle. Let us know if it shoots as good as it looks.

5. BustClays

BustClays Member

Thanks for the info. I will probably get to shoot it next week. I'll come back to this post with the results. Larry: nice looking rifle. Mark: Thanks for solving the bolt mystery.
    Bob

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The Swedish 96 Mauser in 6.5x55 mm is one of the most accurate military rifle ever made.

7. MilCon

MilCon Member

Great round, use only Winchester or Remington in the gun.
    Reason for this has to do with pressures.
    Win and Rem are set up for reduced pressures based upon the older actions.
    Win is 2400fps for 140gr. Rem is close to that as well.
    After firing check your shell for flattened primers.
    If you have flatened primers then you have headspace problems and should only use low pressure rounds or have the barrel reset and headspace adjusted.
    If no flattened primers then try the Horniday 129gr. at 2650fps.

I have a Winchester and a CZ, both in 65x55 and shoot Norma which is "Hot", as in 140gr.- 2850fps, if you use 160gr. it is 2500fps, both will drop a deer in its tracks at 300 yds when hit in the front shoulder. There is no need for anything stronger.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You don't get flattened primers from headspace problems, pressure flattens them. You do get stretched cases, and case/head seperation in the web.

9. MilCon

MilCon Member

You are correct pertainng to flattened primers when you are reloading.
    In a Gun like this, when you use Factory ammo and you get flattened primers the shell goes forward enough to fire when the firing pin hits the primer then the case streches backward and thus flattens the primer and the brass base- look at the markings on the shell and compare to a new shell the lettering will be flattened as well from the slamming of the brass.
    If the headspace is correct for the gun then low pressure factory shell will not flatten the primer.
    I have had numerous 96's and have checked the headspacing when primers have flatten and have found that the headspacing is the culpret on low pressure shells.

Either way, have the gun checked for safety if the shell shows any excess pressure symptons.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you are getting flattened primers from excessive headspace you need to re-adjust your sizing die or just neck size. It means the primers are moving out of the case some, not good.

11. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

I have what could be the twin to the one shown above. It's in 243 cal, and I had to have a smith work on the head spacing after I picked it up at a gun show. Thanks David

12. BustClays

BustClays Member

Mine is a '96 Swedish Mauser (Light Infantry Rifle) and I have determined that it was made in 1899. Thanks for all of the interesting responses.
    Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
correcting headspace on m38 mauser

custom mauser 96

custom mauser forums
custom swedish mauser 96
customized swedish mausers
swedish mauser 96 custom stock

swedish mauser custom

swedish mauser custom stock