1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CUSTOM STOCKS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Terminator, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terminator

Terminator TS Member

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that most custom stocks are fully adjustable. What is the point of spending big bucks on such a stock, it seems to me that all you get is a fitting session and maybe a nicer piece of lumber.I can see the point of an adjustable comb in case of weight gain or loss and maybe change point POI for handicap.I see lots of stock with pads adjusted up, down, and canted sideways. Why not have the stock made that way to begin with? Otherwise you might as well save a load of cash and have an adjustable comb and pad put on your existing stock.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Because most trap shooters don't shoot consistant enough to allow a stock fitter to do his job. They may have the money for a custom stock, but may not be good enough shooters to maintain a consistant POI. Or, they're trying to buy targets. I've seen guys take lessons, get a custom stock fitted, and in 2 weeks they have it re-adjusted for how THEY think it should be.

If the gun is shooting at the horizontal point of aim, the only additional adjustment should be raising or lowering the comb for height of required POI. Sometimes it takes quite a few birds to figure that out. It's really quite simple.

Forgot one thing...recoil. A properly fit stock will tame recoil a bit.

3. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I've never seen a truly custom-made stock with an adjustable butt. You can always use an adjustable comb even on a custom stock -- raising it for long handicap distances or as your POI changes as your speed changes. But an adjustable comb and butt are only part of the fit of a stock. You can shoot 3 dram loads from a well-fit custom stock and the recoil won't bother you at all. That's what Dennis Devault does for you. Just my two cents worth. I've had five custom stocks made for me in the last 20 years.

4. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

as flake said , need to adjust comb for yardage.

5. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rather than have an adj. comb installed on a custom stock, set your gun up for handicap to begin with. Sometimes it ruins the looks of a high dollar piece of wood to have an adj. comb. The less you adj. on the stock the better off you will be. You can figure out where the POI is on singles and doubles. Just my two cents, Roy

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your body changes-- if you gain weight- lose weight - have a "redistribution" of weight--- that custom stock is no longer custom.

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Another aspect is when you get fitted for your stock is what season of the year is it. How many shooters have 3 or more butt pads & or shims to compensate for climate & or clothing changes.

Phil Berkowitz

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

When and if you go to sell it can be made to fit another brother.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Shannon has a good idea there. Also, a lot of people don't care for the "twisted sister" look of a stock made with the butt canted. When I was being fitted for my Wenig stock, I considered having an adjustable butt plate installed but eventually caved in to the "twisted sister" style.

Ed

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Different stokes for different folks.

That about explains it all.....

Hauxfan!

11. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

The reason you may see an adjustable butt plate on a custom stock can be for the following. In every manufactureres stock on the market except for the Infinity there is a bolt hole. If the drop at the toe has to be increased to end up lower than the stock bolt hole a plate will need to be installed. This is especially true for Ladies that have a long neck, high cheek bones, and a large chest. You sometimes cannot toe the bottom out far enough without going through the bolt hole. One of the most extreme stocks that we ever did here required the comb offset to be 1", the toeout was 1-3/4", and the drop at the heel was 5-3/4". I believe that we have only used an adjustable butt plate twice in the last ten years. If you go to a person that truly knows how to fit a shooter it should not be a problem to acheive a perfect fit. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dennis DeVault

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Dennis is correct. Just to add two more cents. If your stock is made properly and does not have a pad adjuster twisted off of the stock the gun kicks less.
    Occasionally I end up with a pad adjuster on a stock but usually it is to facilitate changing pads not adjusting the butt.(metal holds threads better than wood.)

On an adjustable comb the only reason to have one is if you shoot handicap differently than 16's or for weight gain. Occasionally one gets a custom stock that is adjustable to facilitate using it with other shooters.

Joe

13. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

For Gene: Not everybody's body changes that much if they push away from the dinner table enough times. I've worn the same jean size, shirt size for nearly 30 years. I'm still six feet and skinny.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Dennis, I noticed you addressed the adjustable butt plate, but you didn't say anything about the adjustable comb. Do you agree that it is difficult in most cases to nail down a shooter's POI because of inconsistancy? Or, are they required because of body changes, the new gun "feel, or other reasons?

15. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Has anyone considered resale value. The way some shooters change guns it's a no-brainer! Stocks RARELY leave here without an adjustable comb just as a matter of principle-- whichever priciple that may end up being! Phil in Colorado

16. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Oh, by the way I forgot to mention----my handicap gun---- a TM-1 does NOT have an adjustable comb. Interesting huh? Phil

17. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Setterman,

I use the adjustable comb as a standard for weight loss or gain. Also for resale value. Even though you may not change in weight I have found for shooters that come out of states that have low humidity to a high humidity area their face swells from the heat and sometimes a comb change is required. It just makes it easier to make adjustments if they are available. Also it was mentioned that if you need a POI change for handicap it can be done.

Dennis DeVault

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

After following this post for a while something dawned on me.

MANY OR MOST CUSTOM STOCKS ARE NOT TRULY CUSTOM FIT.

There are many custom stockmakers.

There are a few Gunfitters.

There are even fewer who can do both.

Calling a big name Stockmaker or having your gun dealer order special dimensions is not getting a custom fit stock.

Most makers so called custom stocks are merely variations of several standard stock designs in their inventory with variations in comb height offset or lop.

A true custom fit stock actually involves building two stocks a pattern and a final stock. Not to mention shooting the pattern on hundreds of targets making adjustments and finally building the stock.

A Custom stock will have a unique grip and an individual shape to the back of the stock creating the proper angle of pad pitch and drop.

When you have a true custom stock you will not need any of the adjustments.

I have One shooter who had me make two stocks for the same gun one for handicap and on for 16's and doubles no comb or pad adjusters.

To my knowledge there is only one other Gunfitter/Stockmaker who spends the time with the customer shooting and then building individual custom fit stocks.
    It's Dennis DeVault. I could be wrong but I haven't heard of any.

Joe

19. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Joe, I guess as you put it the rest of us might be chopped liver????? I think you give yourself and Devault just a little too much credit! I'd put up my list of former and current All_americans shooting my products up against both of yours any day!
    And yes I do spend time shooting and custom making every stock for every client.
    You are not the only ones---good grief!
    Phil Simms Stockmaker in Colorado.

20. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Not trying to step on any toes here, BUT! The people at Wenig's in MO take a back seat to no one! I have heard good things about Dennis and alot of others out there. To assume that only 1 stockfitter/gunmaker is the only one who gives personalized service is ass***ne! I spent at least 14-15 hours with Wenig's both in Vandalia and in MO. I basically had the run of the shop in MO for the whole day. Great people at Wenig's.

A little history on my custom stock. I went to Vandalia to get some help fitting my 682 Gold E. I have adjustable comb and adjustable butt plate. I still could not get the gun to mount consistently. I talked to some people I shot with that had gone to The Country Gentleman and were very happy with his work. The Country Gentlemen (I think his name was Todd someone correct me if I am wrong) looked at my setup had me mount the gun several times then proceeded to shake his head and tell me "son! I can't do anything to help you! But I know who can!" He actually left his place of business and walked me down to Wenig's. He introduced my to Fred and said "Fred! This guy needs your help!" Fred looked at my 5' 10", football player, over weight, no neck, beer belly body and said "step this way son, we can fix you right up!"

A custom stock was the best thing I ever puchased. I have no regrets and I am sure there are others out there that perform similar services. Thank you Fred and Thank you Todd. These are only 2 of the great people that this sport has given me the pleasure of meeting.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

after market trap stocks

custom shotgun stock makers in pa

custom stocks for trap

custom trap shooting stock

custom trap shooting stocks

custom trap stock

fully adjustable shotgun stocks for trap shooting

trap custom stocks