1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Stocks

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigbore613, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Paul Hilmer. Jeff

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Fred Wenig

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

If you have seen any of Dennis Devault's work, I think you will agree, he is hard to beat. I have used Stocker John Fittinger with great results.

JON

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Tom Smith

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Aren't there two issues here? Best stock MAKER. And, best stock FITTER? (There is a corollary issue of using your own wood or the stockmaker's wood.)

The names Paul Hillmer; Todd and Jerry Nelson (Country Gentleman Gunfitters);Wenig;Devault have all been posted on TS in the past. I have seen all mentioned as excellent. But, it is unclear to me if the issue is building the stock or fitting one. And, what about the process? Turn around time and cost?

I too would welcome any insights from our TS mates as I would like to have some stock work done. (In my case, I have my own wood.)

Jake

6. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Dennis DeVault is best fitter, maker, going. Have used Wenig and the late, lamented Fajan custom shop over the years.
    And, it helps that Dennis is just a real nice guy. Fred Wenig, too, is a real nice guy but I don't think he's personally made a stock in years. He runs the business.

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Dennis is great. See his link, just above.

Joe

8. Duck

Duck Member

All good mentioned above I'd like to add Bobby Emrick.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

there's a shop in Poulson, Montana that does beautiful work...anme escapes me right now....

10. Ted Busch

Ted Busch TS Member

if your in the market. i would check out dennis devault, his shop number is 330-456-6070

11. Obsessed Racer

Obsessed Racer TS Member

Jeff Mainland is a wizzard, i drove to kolar to get get fitted for both of my kolars, he was very patinet and understanding, i am a big guy and i have never had gun that fits properly, now i have two that fit perfect thanks to jeff. money well spent, working with jeff was the best decision i could have made. i am proud to be a kolar customer.

12. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I vote for best stockmaker and fitter would be Dennis Devault. I have fitted myself using various systems. I used Todd Nelson (Country Gentleman) for a fitting session. These systems are using adjustable combs, adjustable buttplates, and PFS stocks. I have been to Kolar and picked out my wood and was fitted. I also had Jeff Mainland fit me at Sparta this year to a Koar T/S. I have an Infinity which was fitted and stock built by Dennis Devault and his crew. The results speak for themselves. Stay away from Kolar! Matt

13. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

"Stay away from Kolar!" If you think you were "fitted" at the Grand, you are wrong as it takes an entire day at the Kolar factory. You had a stock made with SOME custom dimensions, not a custom fitted stock - BIG difference.

I tried exactly the same thing with Jeff, also this year, at Sparta. After he spent about an hour or so with me, I decided to travel to Racine and do it properly. I just got the stock about two weeks ago and will post some pics in the next few days. The results would have never been achieved with an hour taking some measurements at the Grand.

Eric

14. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Eric,

I understand that at Sparta you don't get the best of the deal. But you may notice, that I said I had been to Kolar and fitted. It was in Racine, at the factory. It doesn't matter where you are and how much time you have. Some people do not know how to fit someone! Matt

15. AJJ

AJJ TS Member

The company Ljutic 73 is refering to is "Montana Made Handcrafted Custom Stocks" in Polson, Montana. I had them make me a Twisted Sister stock, in English Walnut, outstanding workmanship, look me up at the Spring Grand and you can look at the finished stock. Ask for "AJ".
    Their web site is listed above, and their telephone number is 406 - 250 - 3398.

Regards AJ. Alex Jarvie.

16. c.roberts

c.roberts TS Member

phil simms made a stock for me it turned out great. the fit great and the wood was the best thanks. chad roberts

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Is everyone afraid to mention cost? I don't imagine every fitter/maker charges the same. Jake

18. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I would imagine that costs would be just about whatever you can afford.

19. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Dennis Devault charges $1800.00 for tang style receiver. $1500.00 for receiver without tang. This cost does not include wood. Matt

20. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Tom Smith, Wesson Ohio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.