1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom stocks,Whom do you like?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Ray---I deal with Joe Goldberg from south Jersey----He's as good as any and much more reasonable price wise but not as fast for turn around---Figure on 3 to 4 months but a great finish product----Custom stocks with fittings are not a quick fix----Just my opinion----George@SJB

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Ray, if you're shooting a Kolar, then go to Racine. Anything else, Dennis DeVault.

3. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I've not dealt with Dennis but from what I hear and see of him & his crews work they are awesome. I have had wenig do 2 stocks for me they were a pleasure to work with and did a fantastic job from the custom fit to the finished product. So it would be a personal choice I guesse. Wenig is much closer to me. If Dennis was closer I'd have 2 stocks from him.

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Paul Hillmer Located in Hudson Iowa. Does great work.

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I'm sure Dennis is of the best but too far for me to travel---Takes at lest 3 fittings and shooting in-between---I think a close by fitter is the way to go unless 3 long trips are not a bother----I'm having one made now and I have had 3 fittings and had the stock for 2 weeks to try before final work is done---This pic is just what I'm talking about----Two touch-ups from this point---The forearm is only there for me to try shooting,not the one to match the stock----I will need more time spent before final finish along with checkering and adj comb----Takes along time for the right job----

Look what the Easter Bunny brung-----

JMO----George@SJB
    southjblue_2008_0303938.jpg

southjblue_2008_0303939.jpg

6. MOP

MOP Active Member

Hillmer is as good as any and better than most.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

WOW---Both beautiful----There are some great artist out there---SJB

8. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Devault, hands down!!!!!

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

I shot a friend's K80 that had custom wood by Hilmer. The gun was quite a bit lighter than mine and I remembered thinking "this thing is going to kick". I was amazed how soft shooting the gun was! A good stockmaker, besides making a thing of beauty, can also make the gun a pleasure to shoot.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Nice, very nice ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Since the question was wenig or DeVault The answer is Devault if you wan a stock fitted to you.

Wenig makes nice looken stocks but fits few!

Joe

12. juststartin'

juststartin' Member

13. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Yes wenig has fitted me twice for 2 different guns. I suggest to get fitted then shoot it and tweak it as needed. On both Bill at wenig fitted me and I took the guns and shot them for the summer. I tweaked both stocks here and there for the exact fit I needed. They will charge you for a fitting and a deposit on the final product they will make you. As stated before I worked with Bill but all the folks where a pleasure to work with from Bobby to Marsha. The second stock I had done I went over and picked out my wood. I got to tour the facility and see from start to finish how things are done you can watch and ask as many questions as you'd like. It was very cool. If I lived closer to Dennis Devault I would love to see his set up. From the post on here they do a awesome job also. I would say you couldn't go wrong with either one.

14. mflora

mflora Member

You can't forget Phil Simms or Tom Smith.
    Mark

15. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

Everyone mentioned is well regarded its personal opinion just like the type of car you drive. I'm going to be fit by Wenig in June at the Pa state shoot

16. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Sample of Phil Simms' ProSoft stock he made for me.

Gene in Illinois

sseitz007_2008_010493.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.