1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Stocks or Adjustable Stocks? Better?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RichinPeoria, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichinPeoria

RichinPeoria TS Member

Good morning everyone

What's a better way to go:

Go to Wening or another stock maker with a new 1100, BT-99 or some other another gun I decide on, get measured and have custom stocks made (without adjustment) min. $500 or

Send out the orignal stock to Tron or Country Gentleman and get an adjustable pad and comb put on for $450 ?

Any opinoins or experience would be appreciated
    Rich

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

An adjustable stock would be my first choice. Use shims for pitch and cast. Once you get it right take it to a good stock maker and have it duplicated. Then in typical trap shooter fashion sell the gun and start over. I have several times. LOL

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Just an opinion, but the best way to go (igonoring cost and time) would be to have a custom stock made for the best fit and usage. The downside to this is that a custom stock made to standards of even a moderately quality factory stock would probably cost in the thousands of $ rather than hundreds. Thus many elect for adjustable stocks since they can be, within reason, adjusted to fit pretty well and the changes only cost in the hundreds. Another option is to go with the PFS fully adjustable stock replacement option since this option has an almost infinite range of adjustments. Drawbacks are that it is not very pretty (not traditional nice wood, etc and cost is somewhere between making factory stock adjustable and a really nice custom stock.

Bottom line, in my opinion: If cost is no object, go with the fully custom stock. Otherwise, go with an adjustable stock-if tradition counts, make the factory stock adjustable. If max adjustability is most important, go with the PFS.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Get a custom made stock, gain 10 pounds and sell it at a loss because it probably won't fit then ... Adjustable is the way to go ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

As someone who has done both, I will say that a custom stock is worth the money if you get fitted for it and have a head/face/neck that you cannot get an adjustable stock to fit. To just call up a vendor and order a custom-made stock will be a waste of money. And a fitting these days will eat up a lot of that $500, so that stock will end up costing you $1,800 in attractive but not high grade wood.

If you can shoot an adjustable stock comfortably and break scores that you consider to be the maximum for your ability with it, that would be my choice.

Ed

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

first - I don't think "measured" is what I want in a custom stock. I have a custom stock on my new gun but it was not "measured" to fit me. I went to Dennis DeVault and actually got the new gun fitted to me. They worked that pattern stock until it was a perfect match. Then I got to shoot trap with the pattern stock. Dennis watched and made certain that the new stock was not causing problems and he continued to ask about comfort. So it is my opinion that if someone just "measures" you - you will not be getting a true custom stock and would do just as well with a PFS. But the work of fitters like Country Gentlemen should not be overlooked. They can see what is wrong with your gun mount, swing, etc and recommend the correct adjustments. If you just order a PFS and do not have a fitter/good coach, you are right where you started - a poor fitting gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.