1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Stock--Wenig or DeVault?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gavin, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

I'm considering a custom stock from either Wenig or Devault. I've seen the finished product from both and the workmanship is excellent. I've read Average Ed's Gun Fitting article in Shotgun Sports, and talked to owners of both Wenig's & Devault's product and both camps are very satisfied with their custom stock. Both companies have a similar gun fitting process. So here are a few questions for consideration... If you had to do it over again would you still pick the same company as you did the first time? Would you do anything different? (perhaps wood selection, checkering, etc). Now that you've had your stock for a season or two do you still consider it a good purchase--why? Thanks for your comments. This decision is harder than I thought!

Thank you

Gavin

2. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

I'm considering a custom stock from either Wenig or Devault. I've seen the finished product from both and the workmanship is excellent. I've read Average Ed's Gun Fitting article in Shotgun Sports, and talked to owners of both Wenig's & Devault's product and both camps are very satisfied with their custom stock. Both companies have a similar gun fitting process. So here are a few questions for consideration... If you had to do it over again would you still pick the same company as you did the first time? Would you do anything different? (perhaps wood selection, checkering, etc). Now that you've had your stock for a season or two do you still consider it a good purchase--why? Thanks for your comments. This decision is harder than I thought!

Thank you

Gavin

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

On every fitted stock I've had, I had an adjustable comb added. Usually your time with the fitter is not enough to tweak your POI completely. Plus you may lose or gain weight, change your style, or whatever. Please don't expect your stock to be perfect. The biggest variable is you. If you are not consistant, the fitter can not be expected to get it perfect. Wood is whole nother ballgame. No one knows how great a piece of wood will be till they start shaping. It can look great on the outside and blah on the inside or a have some knots or wains in a bad spot. Both names you mention are good, but Devault has a reputation for taming recoil. Good Luck!

4. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Hi Gavin,

Our fitting processes are not similar. We both may use a bondo pattern now, but putting bondo on a stock and knowing where to put the bonco are two different processes. On big difference between us is the time spent with each customer, here you are required to shoot targets to determine fit not just shooting a pattern board. I have had customers stay here for three days and shot 300 to 400 targets until both of us are satisified that the fit is correct. Dove Commander is right in his comments, we do include a 4 way adjustable comb as a standard feature in our stocks. If you have weight gain or loss the comb can be moved to compensate for the changes. I have had some shooters that take the pattern home and shoot the pattern for up to a year before returning the pattern to be made into a finished stock. I have a K-80 stock that just came back from Missouri with me to now have the finished product made. He has been shooting the pattern since the spring. Also compare the cost, nothing is hidden in my cost the $ 2,000.00 labor that we charge includes a complete job, checkering of your choice, deluex or satin finish, recoil pad, adjustable comb and you can purchase our wood or bring your own.

Thank you,

Dennis DeVault

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Having Dennis and crew work up a custom fitted stock has other advantages also! During that 3 to 4 hundred targets, you'll get some very valuable advice on the basics which some of us tend to forget and that's "priceless"!! Hap

6. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I had three custom stocks made by Wenig. I never hit well with them. I went to Dennis. Whole different ball game. Wenig fitted me by putting a flashlight in the gun barrel. I pointed to a paper target about 30 feet away. Took about 20 minutes. Dennis took me to a trap field over a period of two days, shooting, sanding, etc. Stock fit perfectly. Recoil a minor thing. I'm having another stock made by him right now based on the dimensions of the first one. You can't go wrong.

7. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I have two Devault Stocks, one on my Infinity and I had him build one for my Kreighoff. Both fit me very well, eliminated effects of recoil, great looking. I highly recommend him.
    Tom

8. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

De Vault!DeVault!DeVault!!!

Period!

9. trap-pr

trap-pr Member

Gavin

I went to Wenig and paid for a custom fit stock. If I was going to do it again today, I would go to Devault. They made a dummy stock to fit me, then cut my wood. After they cut my wood, they took me to the trap field to shoot. Couldn't hit a target, put it on paper and the pattern was 70% low. They had to cut in an adjustable comb so I could shoot the gun. Later we ended up putting an adjustable butt plate on the gun to further adjust it to fit. I furnished my own wood and it still cost $2,500. I will admit customer service and the workmanship was excellent. However, I was not happy with the custom fit. I have seen several stocks made by Dennis Devault and will go to him if I ever decide to have another custom fit stock. I am glad you are doing some research and getting opinions before you jump.

Pam

10. max trap

max trap Member

Gavin...On top of great work and service, if you plan your trip right Dennis will take you out at night to try your new stock shooting protectors.
    Oh by the way...If you get in a shootoff and he slips you a couple of shells...well just go you'll figure it out. Ed

11. sle081

sle081 Member

While im not being negative to either company they both do fine work. but Paul Hilmer in Iowa for my money does the best custom fitting for trap guns of about any one around. Does a great personal fiting job and helps and maintains after the sale is done plus he and Cheryl are the finesst folks you could ever meet

12. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Gavin...

you have a PM...

please read,

milt

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ill second Paul Hillmer...

14. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

i went to Wenig and was pleased with the results..

ernie

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Gavin -

Dennis will spend the time with you to get it right. Being there is like being in a candy shop. They make whole guns there - I'm sure you know that, but the point is Dennis is into all aspects of the process - ALL. Don't underestimate him.

Dennis listens to what you say and if you don't speak up it is your own fault. I had some cheeck slap and I spoke up when I was there. A little pitch adjustment and everything was fine. Dennis is very observant and sincere in his efforts to help you get the best gun/fit possible. I got the checkering I wanted including the coon face on the fore end - all because I asked.

Another important point is that Dennis isn't frozen in time. He builds extra high ribs for guys with long necks and cutom fore-ends for guys with problems in their arms and hands. This just in the last year. Innovation...

I felt completely comfortable there during my 2 day stay. Lot's of stories, a visit through the shop, shooting at 2 local clubs, a chat with Cindy, etc.

Let's us know how it goes.

Joe

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Believe it Dennis is the master, he was the first to bring out the style of stock, with roll over combs, cast & drop that is his trade mark--every one else from Wenig, Kolar (twisted sister) are copying is innovation. However; they can't copy his fitting. It is an art. It is a visual understanding of how the shooter is performing on the range. I have two guns. An NCP Beretta & an Infinity. I would not have spent close to 1200 miles round trip to go to Dennis unless I knew he would fit me well. I have a very bad back & could not shoot unless the gun fit me perfectly. I'm able to compete I shoot several hundred rds a day without any recoil devices. Both guns point & swing well. The Infinity absolutely crushes target, there is nothing but pure vapor when I do my part. Dennis is not a mass production facility. He makes the Ferrari of shotguns. Every other so-called premium gun makes make knock-offs and are Mercedes-Benz's at best.

Lou

17. gold40

gold40 Member

My shooting partner has Wenig restock his Kreighoff, and he likes it very much, and shoots it well.

To me, Wenig's stocks seem "too clubby" and thick. While they perform well, many lack grace and style. One man's opinion.

JERRY

18. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

To Jerry in Mi.,

Your thread takes me back a bit, That I am aware of Cindy or myself have ever received a phone call about you being dissatisified with your stock. If it is not what you order all you had to do was say so and it will be replaced. When you were here the opportuntiy to shoot the gun was given and everything was great. Something has changed over the course of the year. If there is anything that can be done for you let me know, it has never been our intent to have a non happy customer.

Dennis DeVault

19. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I don't have a dog in this fight but Mr. DeVault's reply speaks volumes about trying to get the job right. I have seen some of his work and it is impressive. By the way, where are you located ( Mr. DeVault)?
    Charlie

20. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

devualt vs wenig