1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Stock Makers ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RDM, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDM

RDM TS Member

Who are all of the stock makers out there ?
    And what are there web sites ?

Thanks !

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

There is only one--Dennis Devault---all the others just knock off cookie cutter copies of proven formats that are, close.--You said custom, not taking a predetermined stock & tweeking it,

I'm getting ready for incoming,let it fly!!

Phil Berkowitz

3. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Phil, how much are you paid by Dennis, are you on salary or paid by the post? I looked up the word custom and found the following... 1. Made according to the specifications of a particular individual. According to this definition, I believe that there are more competent stock makers then one could remember off hand. I think your comment is an insult to some very fine craftsman, but you should be forgiven as it's clearly an income thing on your part. Bruce

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

This site is graced by a couple of the best,Dennis Devault and Phil Simms (walnutmaker). Both of which do extrodinary work and I've seen and heard nothing but great things from both.

ss

5. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Check out SSPLUSSTOCKS.NET Their located in Polson, Montana. Good guy's and Great work.

6. AEP

AEP Member

Jerry Welsh of Santa Rosa, CA. He comes recommended by Calico Hardwoods.

There are many others. Pick a good one that is close to you.

Andy

7. overbored

overbored Member

Mr. Berkowitz, That has to be the most asinine statement you have ever made. Until your second post then you topped it.

If all your knowledge of guns and stock makers is from personal experience you sir need to get out more.

Hugh

8. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Bobby Emrick at ScatterGun does a good job

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

If you want 'custom', as in finding the right wood, spending as long as it takes to fit you and cut the wood to your exact fit, checkering and finishing to your taste, I've only personally worked with Paul Hillmer and he does great work.

Here is his website:

http://hillmergunstocks.com/

You won't be disappointed.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Tom Smith, Weston, Ohio Made 7 stocks for me over the years and does beautiful work. They won't look like something from outer space though if that's what you're looking for....

11. esetter

esetter Active Member

I've had work done by both Phil Simms and Paul Hilmer and they both do great work and are nice people to work with. I would highly recommend either of them.

12. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I have had Paul Hillmer and JL Dockwiller make 3 or 4 stock each for me and they are as good as it gets. Paul has a lot of high dollar turkish blanks to pick from.
    Dockwiller has stocked 10 times more high $ Krieghoffs than anyone in the country. He put stocks on almost every Crown and super crown starting in the 60's that DuPont brought into this country and he brought 100% of them until the K-80's.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had Phil Simms make a stock from scratch and a forearm ( not an easy job on a beretta 303) and he did a marvelous job. I told him the specs and also said I wanted it beefy. He made it out of walnut and it is beefy and heavy, thats what I wanted. The forearm is thick and also heavy just like I wanted. The palm swell is like I wanted. I would use him again. If I could afford it, I would some day like Dennis and Cindy to trick one out. They are good but not cheap. Either one will do just fine.

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I am enjoying my custom stock that Wenig made. So who is the best? I would say the best is the one that made the one you are happy with.

15. steele

steele TS Member

I think there is a huge difference in who can make a custom stock & then who can fit you, then build the stock. I guess anything I could conjure up would be considered a custom stock, but it sure as hell wouldn't fit anyone. Just because someone makes a stock for you, doesn't mean it is going to fit right & increase your ability to break birds. Butch

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Tom Smith has done a few for me. His wood selection is top notch, and his checkering and finish is comparable to the best.
    [​IMG]

17. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Here is a Kolar Tom did...
    [​IMG]

18. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Muzzleblast, you certainly told it like it is. Well stated.

19. Battue

Battue Member

Larry Garroutte is a frequent contributor to this site and should not be overlooked. He has made some absolutely fantastic custom stocks. His website should give a small indication of his capabilities.

The web link is above.

Good Luck,

Pat Byrne

20. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The fitting part is way more important than the wood part. After a certain point there nothing more than can be done. The wood is hand picked and then the dimensions are built to you. I am sure the best stock makers are as good as it gets. When comparing the best there are several that are just that. Tom Smith,Phil Simms and Devault are proven to be the best. Stay away from Wenig is the best advice i can give.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.