1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Stock Adventure

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 12ShotTwo, Aug 30, 2013.

1. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

After following a number of TS posts, I decided to craft my own custom stock for a Citori 425 about 18 months ago. One stock maker replied to my requests here on TS for information, Doug Carpenter at http://www.ccgunstoc ks.com/ . I explained to Doug I wanted to do as much of the project as I could myself but lacked for knowledge and some tools. Doug explained the process which included creating a pattern stock which later would be used with a duplicating machine on the final wood. So the process I followed was to purchase a Wenig stock, fit it to my hardware, adjust the stock for good fit, shoot the pattern stock to verify fit, purchase the wood blank, duplicate the pattern on the wood blank, fit the wood to the hardware, sand, seal and finish and finally checker.
    Since I had a number of guns with adjustable hardware I had a good idea of the fit I was after, here is what the Wenig stock looked like as received from them, a lot of wood would have to be removed!

12shottwo_2010_051138.jpg

After sanding (and sanding and sanding) and fitting the hardware the Wenig stock looked like this:

12shottwo_2010_051139.jpg

After shooting the stock and readjusting the fit, adding bondo as needed, I was ready to purchase the wood. This was purchased from Paul & Sharon Dressel, http://dressels.com/ . The blank is English walnut and picked out from pictures on line. Doug made the recommendation to purchase this particular wood and I had it drop shipped to him.

12shottwo_2010_051140.jpg

Below you can see the wood being duplicated on Doug’s duplicator. Note the bondo used to finally get the fit just right especially around the grip. Although not shown, a stock Browning beaver tail forend was used as the forend pattern.

12shottwo_2010_051141.jpg

After duplicating Doug sent the wood back to me for fitting, sealing and finishing.

12shottwo_2010_051142.jpg

Here you can see the forend ready for sealing.

12shottwo_2010_051143.jpg

12shottwo_2010_051144.jpg

I wanted an oil finish and settled on Waterlox sealing and BenMatte topcoat. This process took me about 8 weeks, including curing. If you’re interested in the process email me and I will send you the process I followed.
    After finishing, I sent the stock back to Doug for checkering and here is the final result.

12shottwo_2010_051145.jpg

12shottwo_2010_051146.jpg

12shottwo_2010_051147.jpg

12shottwo_2010_051149.jpg

12shottwo_2010_051150.jpg

Many thanks to Doug Carpenter (http://www.ccgunstoc ks.com/). Really great guy to work with.
    Joe

2. kenf

kenf Active Member

Beautiful work and write up.

3. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

Really nice! How long did the project take you from start to finish? Joe

4. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Very,very NICE. Good job.

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

nice...

tony

6. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Nice job. Good pick on the wood.

7. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

Very nice!

8. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Timing wise it took me 18 months from the time I purchased the Wenig stock. I spent 6 months completing the pattern stock and felt ready to order the blank. It took about 6 more months to get the blank ready for sealing/finishing and then another 6 months for curing and checkering. I'm just a novice at this so lot's of time was spent learning how to do things, I'm sure many of you are far more competent than me and things will go faster.

9. dcblvsh2

dcblvsh2 TS Member

Thanks for the kind words Joe. I enjoyed working with you on this project.

I posted your pictures up on my facebook page too.

Now we want to know how it shoots!

Thanks, Doug

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Joe you should be prowd of your job it looks wonderful and the pride of doing it your self is a big bonus. Thanks for posting I enjoyed reading this this morning over breakfest.

Buddy

11. larryx

larryx Member

WOW!!!

12. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Joe, that's a fine job all the way round! I have done three stock sets and I know the time and effort it takes. Many, many hours. You have every right to be very proud of your project! Thanks for sharing with us. Doug did a great job on the checkering for you as well!

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A fantastic job all around!! Looks great!!

HAP

14. 682b

682b Member

Very nice job! I am sure you are proud of your work, and should be. Jim

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I am very impressed.

16. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Very nice looking job you should be very proud of the work. I hope that you shoot it well.

Dennis DeVault

17. dustinthewind

dustinthewind Active Member

Very nice looking job!

18. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Outstanding: choice of wood, shaping, checkering (pattern is great), and finish. You should be very proud!

19. Boehler

Boehler Member

Very cool !

20. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I want to thank everybody for your kind words and the people here on TS that inspired me to do this project. This weekend I had a chance to shoot a few rounds of skeet with my 410 tubes in the carrier barrel, super comfortable and quite a few center hits. Next week its off to work on my trap doubles. Thanks everyone. Joe

Search tags for this page

custom stock browning citori