1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

custom short reed goose calls for sale

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Timber1, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timber1

Timber1 TS Member

0   0   0

Though I have been making calls for several years, these are the first that I have publicly offered for sale. They are all hand made one at a time from hardwoods that I have cut from here in Ohio. The first(from left to right) is black locust burl, the second is pin oak burl, the thrid is pin oak feather crotch, and the last is white curly/flame hard maple. They are $150 each plus shipping. I don't get on here much so it's best to call me if interested. (513)383-6933. Thanks, Earnie Ross

2. hdskip

hdskip Member

0   0   0

Really nice looking work. They are beautiful.

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Do you guarantee them not to crack at that price? I would think cracking would be an issue with those woods. Especially knowing the conditions they are used in. What guts are in them and how are the barrels and mouthpiece held together?

4. Timber1

Timber1 TS Member

0   0   0

Bad, yes I guarentee them. Just what do you mean "with those woods"? You obviously know nothing about wood when you question the durablity of black locust, pin oak, and hard maple the latter of which was Barry Bonds choice of wood for his baseball bats!
    Earnie Ross

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Ernie

My point on the comment about those woods is that it is commonly accepted that burl will and does split easily when subjected to rough handling and verying climates. Just look no further than shotgun stocks. They are beautiful calls and my intent was not to degrade your work just simply question the guarantee. Acrylic is used in most high dollar calls today for a reason. What guts are you using? Again they are beautiful calls as i love all maple and have three custom stocks in different maple woods.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

0   0   0

All 4 for that price?

Curt

7. shoot the hill

shoot the hill TS Member

0   0   0

Bad,

Your calling an assembaly line acrylic RNT, Zink, Grounds or Gardner high dollar and you say its for a reason? What is that reason? And why would you make that comment about the quality wood he is using?

I have an uncle who has made calls for many years. If you have seen someone turn one of these out on the lathe you would understand these are better. I don't know Earnie but I would guess if you wanted a quality call made from acrylic he could pickup a block and make you one hell of a call.

In my opinion there's nothing better than a hand tuned quality wood call.

8. Timber1

Timber1 TS Member

0   0   0

I can and do make calls from acrylic, but when you speak of conditions try droping a solid piece of cast acrylic on the sidewalk in below zero conditions and see what happens. I have about 30 sets of spalted maple along with some misc. burls being stabilizied with acrylic as we speak. These pieces will benifit from the added strength. The guts in these calls are machined from acrylic one set at a time. They have the sound of the heavier Canada's. The reeds are.14 mylar which are shaved by myself.

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Sorry for asking you a question about the wood. I did not intend for you or anyone else to have to stand up for the quality of your wood. I do have one othe rquestion though. What happens if you drop one of your wood calls on concrete at below zero temps? I also have spalted maple,quilted maple and burl maple blanks in my shop as well. I love maple. Enough said?

10. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

0   0   0

Bottom line is that wood is pretty, but acrylic simply works better. They are louder and richer in tone. Wood is for collectors. Acrylic is for hunters. Don't know about durability, as I use my calls in a pit or blind, not on a sidewalk. That said, they are pretty!

11. Timber1

Timber1 TS Member

0   0   0

Arcylic is very brittle by itself, however this lends to the sharp snap that is derived from it. Hard dense wood can have the same qualities however it can also add a great lower goose tone. Acrylic impregnated wood is tougher yet has a more mellow sound. All I can say is that the last day of our season, I sliped on the creek ice, fell hard, my Benelli went into the water and being 5 below zero was a block of ice in under 5 min, With all of that being said none of my calls broke.....I wish I could say that for my butt and elbows!

12. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Do you have plenty of spalted maple to build calls from? I have a piece that is too small for a gunstock and forearm set. It has not been stabilized yet but is plenty dry. If you can use it i would like to have one of your calls and maybe we can work something out. I never intended my question to become a pissing match i just know how many wood calls i have seen split from freezing with moisture in them. The spalted with acrylic added should be pretty tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

earnie ross custom calls

earnie ross goose calls
ernie ross calls