1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom roll crips, any tips?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jdlovejoy4, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

I'm wanting to try some roll crimping for shootoff's any suggestions on tools or loads that have worked for you? Thanks Josh

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

A Lyman roll crimper is essential. I don't understand your question. Why do you want roll crimped shells?Jeff

3. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Thanks for the sugestions Mike. Jeff I just wanted to try something different from the norm. I've always admired the clean look of the old factoy roll crimps. I recently purchased some 2 3/4 inch clear ballistic products per-primed hulls and I'm looking for some good strong, fast, but safe recipies for a rolled cripped shell. Thanks again.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Every few years I load up some trimmed Federal Paper hulls with 18 gr Red Dot, a cardboard over powder wad, a 1/4 inch and a 3/8 inch felt wad and 1 1/8 oz of shot and a cardboard over powder wad. I put a roll crimp on these shells. I have a collection of antique hand reloading tools made between 1860 and 1920. In this collection, I have 4 roll crimp tools.

Pat Ireland

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I see... I have to use a roll crimp for some of my 8ga and 10ga magnum loads. I used to roll crimp buckshot for ID purposes when i had a chance to run into deer, coyotes and the like while deer hunting or grouse hunting. I used to load my own slugs and I used a roll crimop for that as well. I have a couple of boxes of the old Remington unfired cases around here somewhere. They were sure easy to roll crimp as you didn't have to cut the crimp folds off. It's fun to play. Jeff

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have 2 mec roll crimp machines ,one in 12ga and one in 20ga. The machines are like new. Best offer plus shipping. Jeff

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Thanks everyone for the reply's. I will post some pictures tonight . The machines are similar to a 600 but with a much larger base. Thanks , Jeff

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Hello, here are the pics, the loaders are mec 400 models and I dont know any thing about them. Both are like new and I will take $100 plus actual shipping to you for the pair , will not seperate. Thanks , Jeff

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

11. 27yd or bust

27yd or bust TS Member

This past summer my son puchased a small tackel box at a yard sale for $5.00 that has 2 roll crimpers,shot and powder measuring tools,depriming tool and a lot of old primers that are very small. It also has a few brass 12 ga. shells. The crimpers are for 12 & 16 ga.. Any know what the value of these items might be. thanks Steve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.