1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Made Stocks?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by peculator, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peculator

peculator Member

Other than being works of art do custom made stocks REALLY help improve your game.
    Thanks Guys

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

A stock that fits whether it is custom or not is a wonderful thing.

Shawn

3. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I have shot registered trap for 46 yr.s. I shoot from the left and spent a lot of money having adjustable this and that added to factory wood trying to get a good fit. I finally had a stock fitted. This did not add a penny to the value of the gun. What it did do was, almost eliminate recoil, improved all three events and I attained and spent 20 years on the 27. I could not afford to go to great wood but I did get what I was looking for.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Jt,

Good point! Every custom fit stock, does not have to be a $1500 piece of wood. Although, it sure is pretty, and adds to the experience.

5. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

The KEY seems to be GOOD FIT. There is scant argument with that. The problem arises when a shooter goes to FIND someone/someplace to actually do the fitting. There aren't a lot of professional, experience, successful fitters out there - at least nearby. Sure, there are plenty of great shooters who can step in and lend a hand, but how many are there who actually make part of their living fitting competition shotguns?

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had a KX-5 on which I had a Garcoil LOP unit installed before I ever shot it so I could tailor the LOP. Three years later, I had Wenig's make me a custom-fitted stock. The gun shot softer with the custom-fitted stock without any recoil reduction hardware.

Ed

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a Win. mod. 12 with a custom made Anton style stock that fits me wonderfully. I have bought several Brownings with adj. combs but nothing has ever fit me like the stock on the old model 12. Consequently I have been considering having a similar stock made for me on a couple of guns. I know Anton is no longer with us but doesn't he have a s.i.l or some other relative that has taken over the business I believe in Iowa? Any info. would be appreciated.

8. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I started making stocks because nothing fit, I am a left hand shooter. No stock will do the work for you, it just make the work easyer. Mental is still a major factor, in good scores IMO thanks Ronnie

9. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hey Dave P ,

Mr. Hilmer in Hudson, IA took over the Anton Stock business. Yes, he is the Son-in-Law. He does beautiful work. I hope this helps you.

Hit 'em hard,

John

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks John. Do you know what his business name is?

11. MOP

MOP Active Member

Hillmer Custom Gunstocks. He has a website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content