1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Made Large and Rounded Combs.?????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by vdt, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdt

vdt Active Member

i am looking for imput from you-all,now that i am retired must keep busy ,love making my Custom Made Cheek Pieces/Precision Fit Stock.i am making a special comb for my back-up gun ,so that it fells like my regular shooter,about 6 months ago i put a graco comb kit on it but it does not feel comfortable to my face ,i can fell that cut space on the stock,so i am going to attempt to build a larger comb that somewhat rolls over stock...what do you think of the idea ..would appreciate your comments...vdt 905-690-2482

2. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

If it is like I think it is, wouldn't that change your sight alignment? If you make it so it rolls over the stock that will change where your eye is. Just my thoughts.

Chad

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

VDT,

It seems to me that the comb is such a critical part of fit that a lot of personal fitting/adjustment would be necessary. I recently bought a NCP conversion off this site. The wood was stunning, but the roll over comb didn't fit me at all. The guy I sold the gun to had an adjustable comb made, with a soft comb. If your face will accomodate the rollover...go for it.

JON

4. vdt

vdt Active Member

thank you for the reply but i am still in the planning stages ,most combs are 1 inch thick and a lot of guns have cant to the stock,i am not a big supporter of cant,i set my cheek piece straight in line with rib so my sight pattern does not change ever time i mount my gun [summer or winter],keep the comments coming do appreciate your ideas...vdt

5. vdt

vdt Active Member

thank you

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Vic,

Shooters have different facial configurations - different shapes and amounts of flesh covering a variety of cheek bone shapes. Height and cast adjustments are available on PFS stocks but it might be worthwhile offering different shapes or radius's on the comb itself.

Have you considered selling custom-shaped combs? It may be worth considering selling roughed-out combs shipped unfinished to customers. They could then final-shape the comb and return it to you for final finishing.

That service could be an add-on option at an additional cost but it would appeal to obsessive compulsive personalities such as myself.

Rollin

7. vdt

vdt Active Member

to tell you the truth Rollin that is why i posted this thread ,i have made several for local shooters and i just got a request from a fellow in Texas to build one for his MX14RS,so now that i have the time i think i am going to try just what you said ,we shall see...thank you for your ideas

8. Rollin Oswald

Vic,

Consider what you will do if someone receives an unfinished comb and accidently ruins it. When I was making stocks, I had to be very careful to leave enough wood in place when rough sanding, to allow it to be sanded with fine paper.

Rollin

9. vdt

vdt Active Member

Rollin i have found in most cases i have run into that the stock was too narrow to start with ,my combs i make the same width front to back and make them much more rounded and broader,it seems to work...vdt

10. vdt

vdt Active Member

otnot i new a fellow who did just that i gave him a brand new Mx8 stock left handed i told him he could not modify it like he had done to most of the stocks he had.Well he did ,he made his face fit into a very nive formed depresion in the stock felt great.....until he pulled the trigger ,gun comes back and hits him,when i make a comb i make it the same thickness at the front and back and the same curvature,therefor it does not bruise you or your face does not change on it where ever you put it.

11. Rollin Oswald

Otnot,

That is beautiful wood on your stock. Out of curiosity, exactly where on your shoulder do you mount your gun?

Rollin

12. vdt

vdt Active Member

i agree with Rollin lovely looking stock....vdt

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

vdt- This sounds like an interesting idea. You will never know if there is a market for the product until you offer it to shooters through advertising.

I have seen your work. You offer a high quality product at a very reasonable price. You already have two production problems solved.

Pat Ireland

14. vdt

vdt Active Member

Thank You Pat,you and i both no how many shooters have had or come with ajustable combs on there gun and it does not feel right to your face ,i my self can feel the cut away so i have made them larger and much mare rounded on the bottom and the comb to,it works for me...vdt

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

vdt.....Please email me at trap2dan@yahoo.com...Thanks, Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

VDT, A few years back Perazzi produced a so called "Bonillas" style stock that was so high, it didn't permit you to put it under a cheek bone but rode along side the face. I always thought it was extremely comfortable to shoot but required you to place your face in the same place for each shot. Hence, the typical trapshooter with a short neck would be right at home with the style.

Big Jack

17. vdt

vdt Active Member

did not go over to good ...vdt

18. vdt

vdt Active Member

19. vdt

vdt Active Member

20. vdt

vdt Active Member

otnot i am in Canada there could be a problem ,with customs and duty,i have had people ship to me there usually put on customs paper they are sending me a wooden carving as a gift,with a value of $5.00 U.S. but there is a problem with insurance...i will give it a attempt if you like...vdt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.