1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Ear Plugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WI Trapshooter, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WI Trapshooter

WI Trapshooter TS Member

Are those custom molded ear plugs worth the money. I see a lot of people with them. I asked people if they liked them and they pointed to the ear plugs I was wearing and said "they are a lot better then those". A hearing place I called told me regular ear plugs are just as good. Do you use them, where did you get them, how much, do you like them/ would you suggest them. thanks for the info

WI Trapshooter

2. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I really like mine, if i lost them i would defintly buy another pair. Mine were $40.00 at wisconsin Hearing in GreenBay.

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Regular ear plugs may be "be just as good", but I have a small ear canal and I have a hard time getting the foam ones in before they expand and just sit in the cavity. I have both the musical ones as well as the formed ones. They work great on the motorcycle as well.

4. hunter870

hunter870 Member

My first pair came from an audiologist who happened to also work at the range...about $40. My second pair were purchased for $35 from one of the vendors at a vendors shoot. My latest pair came as a $16 kit from Cabelas, and work just as well as the first two pairs. If you can stand to wear it, get the string imbedded that attaches them. I currently own one pair and two extra plugs for my left ear...

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Do they work better then the foam ones, NO. Are they more comfortable to wear than the foam ones, by far. Thats why i own them as well as my son. We can wear them all day with no discomfort at all. The foam ones tend to make my ear canal sore after wearing them all day. My vote is yes well worth the money.----Matt

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

There is a guy on this board that sells the best that I have ever used. His screen name is Big Papa. Send him a private message. I have been wearing his since the Ohio State Shoot. I have owned them all: foam, every kind of molded, muffs, the list can go on. Big Papa makes a very good molded ear plug.

Matt Woodson

7. WI Trapshooter

WI Trapshooter TS Member

what is the best kind to get.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The young man who made my current set of molded plugs makes them longer than any other set I've had. He told me that unless the plug extends just past the second bend in the ear canal, it will not be as effective as it could be in reducing the amount of noise the wearer hears. I'm here to tell you that these things are QUIET. If someone speaks to me when I have them in, I can barely hear them - and that includes those pesky scorers calling "lost."

I also work at two sprint car tracks and am around unmuffled 900hp 410cid engines for hours every race night. I use a one-sided headset so I can respond to questions asked of me and put a foam plug in my exposed ear when cars are on the track. I notice my ears are ringing - both of them - as I drive home after the races, which tells me the foam plugs are no better at reducing noise than the headset.

Ed

9. WI Trapshooter

WI Trapshooter TS Member

all of the places around me sell ones with electronic things in them have an of you used them. are they worth the extra money.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What?

I've used both. The foam ones reduce noise as well as the molded ones, in my opinion. For me, they are not worth the cost. You can buy a LOT of foam ear plugs for the cost of a set of molded plugs.

Your mileage may vary.

11. pdq

pdq Member

Over the last 20+ years I tried half a dozen standard plugs and found the cheap foam rubber ones about as good as any. I then spent $50 for custom molded ones & find them noticeably better -- not by just a little, but a lot.

At a typical price of $40 - $50 I'd encourage you to try them. For me, it's not only just greater hearing protection, but when I'm shooting with them in, I become oblivious to noise distractions.

But, that's just my experience based on how they were made for me.

Pete

12. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

From Average Ed:

<blockquote>"... I use a one-sided headset so I can respond to questions asked of me and put a foam plug in my exposed ear when cars are on the track. I notice my ears are ringing - both of them - as I drive home after the races, which tells me the foam plugs are no better at reducing noise than the headset."</blockquote>

The sound levels and frequencies produced by race car engines are at the level and in the frequencies that will allow them to punch right through the sponge-like mastoid processes (bony formations) that create the slight bump behind each ear. These frequencies will punish the auditory mechanism regardless of the protection being worn in/on the outside ear and the only solution is to limit exposure time. Generally, ear muffs are better at blocking these frequencies than are ear plugs simply because they cover some of that area but neither are an effective answer for such sound levels.

We were are the State shoot in Pennsylvania several years ago and I was curious about a vendor named Mckissick (I think) who was selling molded ear plugs outside the main building. In conversation I asked him if he knew what the NRR (noise reduction rating) of his products were. He replied that they had been tested at 11 or 12. Considering that the average disposable foam plug is rated at about 26 and good ones are 32-33, it seemed pointless to buy 1 pair of his for what I could by 6-8 pairs of good foams for.

Carol Lister

13. WWB

WWB Member

I agree with Carol. All the research I've done on the web says that foam or expanding material in that type of plug will give a 32 NNR..my custom plugs do not give me the same sense of quietness until I put a set of earmuffs on over the top of them. It's a shame, but ears seem to be different just as facial features are and this may be some of the problem. I buy the foam by the box for way less than one set of customs.
    Bill

14. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I go with Matt's comment above. Contact Big Papa, I have 2 pairs, I love both of them. I have a pair that I can put my earphones into and listen to music on the line (helps with my jitters) I also have just a regular pair, nice thing you hear somebody talking, but you don't notice the gun fire as much. I even wear these when I pistol shoot these days. If you need his phone number I have that also just PM me.

Deb

15. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Some of you guys must have some different custom ear plugs than what I'm used to. The custom molded ones that we get from a local vendor that goes to our range blocks out a much larger amount of noise compared to the foam style off-the-shelf plugs. It's not even close. I can't stand to shoot with anything but the custom ones.

Additionally, I bought a set of molded ones that have earphones integrated into them so that I can listen to my Ipod while I shoot. It's the only way to fly.....The music blocks out alot of those bad shooting thoughts and clear your mind.

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've had McKissick's plugs and agree with you, Carol. Actually, I don't think Ray knows what the NRR is.

Ed

17. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Like you and everyone else we all started out with the push in foam cheapies. I found one difference when I got my fitted plugs. The fitted plugs gave me the same sound of the gun report every time. With the foam push in plugs I didn't get the same sound every time depending on how I had smashed the plugs and rolled them together to get them in my ears. When you get a consistent report from your gun you will recognize a "bad report" and check your barrel for a wad. That's the difference I found. I guess with some guys as they have said they couldn't tell a difference and if it makes no difference I suppose one should save the money and use it for more practice. I don't know of a place where you can try the plugs before buying them. Dan

18. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I have 3 or 4 sets of custom plugs and most have been done at shoots. I did have a set made that was done by a hearing aid company. I hear people talking and everything around me just like I am wearing nothing at all, no matter what pair I am wearing. I think they do take the top end crack off the shot but not much else.
    With the foam plugs they do seem to take a little more off the people talking and background noise.

This is a great thread as I thought it was just me that was having doubts about the custom plugs.
    I have seen some plugs like someone mentioned earlier that have a long "spur" that goes deeper into the ear and not knowing for sure this seemed like a good idea to me.

19. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

I have a set of the custom molded ear plugs that were done by somebody at our club. I much prefer them over the foam push ins and prefer them over electronic and regular muffs. The gun report is really muffled and sounds like a soft pop. I can still hear most conversations, but hearing the scorer at the end of a post can sometimes be a challenge. If I ever lose these, I definitely will get another pair. Note that the differing results experienced here may be due to variances of the person doing the molding.

20. WI Trapshooter

WI Trapshooter TS Member

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. You have convinced me to get a pair, but now I'm not sure if I should have a hearing aid place by me do it now or wiat till I go to a shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
custom earplugs since 1990 trap shooting

custom molded ear plugs vs regular shooters forum

custom molded earplugs vs regular shooters forum