1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Ear Plugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Franktri

Franktri Member

I now use those epoxy molded ear plugs that are ok, but I am thinking of a custom ear plug. Pro Fit has one but it has too many bells and whistles, not to mention an astronomical price. I am in need of a simple plug that fits better and works better than what I have. I have been told that any hearing aid shop can make one at a reasonable price. Any suggestions?

2. JLYON

JLYON Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

INSTA-MOLD by E,A.R. call them @ 1800-525-2690 and thy will set you up with a dealer in your airier or see me @ the CT.state shoot the 21st threw the 23rd . Jim

3. DBSkeet

DBSkeet Member

I had my Dr. send me to the audiologist at the local hospital. She poured something in my ear and when it set up she pulled it out with a string and sent it someplace and in about a week I had custom molded plugs. Wish I would have done that years ago. They last forever and work great.

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I've had 3 sets of custom made plugs---They're O.K. but when I wear them all day long,they get annoying and start to hurt---I'm now changing them to the regular stick in plugs to releive the anoyance---Just me---George@SJB

5. hera200

hera200 Member

Just so everyone is aware, Iwas visiting with Terry Jordan recently and saw and handled some of what seemed to be the greatest ear plugs I have ever encountered. According to him, they have been available for quite awhile and can also be had to take the ear buds to pipe in your favorite music. Cant remember who made them now but will find out

The real impressive part was that the mold that is taken of your ear can be sent away and what comes back is the softest smoothest malleable surgical rubber you have ever felt. Yes they are expensive but last indefinitely and are incredibly comfortable when left in for long periods. Maybe someone else on here knows who produces them and could get back to us before I do.....BUD

6. JLYON

JLYON Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

YEP THAT'S E.A.R. THY DO THAT, LIKE I SAID THY ARE THE LEADER 40+ YEARS @ IT

7. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Does anyone offer hearing devices that can be synced to Blue Tooth?

8. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

If your are going to ohio shoot in a couple. Rods Custom stocks does them for 50. Still use mine from last year. His wife does them. Takes 15 minutes for her to mold them to year ear. Then u need to give her an hour for them to hardened an polish them up

9. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Dick Barhorst in Ohio 937-295-3846 did mine.

Terry.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jerry Bryant(FlaLagarto on here) of Silent Treatment Hearing Protection and Enhancement does an excellent job. I've had maybe a half dozen sets in the past and his are the first ones that sealed without me having to mess with 'em.

He's at Brittany Shooting Park for the Illinois State Shoot this week and Jerry will be at Ohio after that.

11. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I had two pair made for me by Lead Miners wife in Las Vegas a couple of years ago. They are absolutely the best I've ever had. I bought one pair one morning, tried them and they were so good went back and had her make another pair. The three vendors I had tried previously were good, but no comparison. Not all are created equal. She put attenuators in them so I could hear normal voice. I was skeptical but they really work. He's on this site, I'd find out their schedule and maybe you can hookup. I tried an ear place out here in CA for my first pair. Very expensive and what I thought was a good job, was not.
    Mike C.

12. BryanF

BryanF Active Member

W.K.Baker just made my 2nd set in 20 years. They are the custom molded type. They work very well and last a long time. They are called Ear Defenders<br>
    W.K.Baker 805.438.5249

Bryan

13. Ear Gems

Ear Gems TS Member

Thanks, Mike C. (cunninmp)!!I am the Leadminer's wife (EAR GEMS)and I remember you well from Las Vegas! As I recall your wife had had foot surgery just before you left for Las Vegas. I do hope you and she are both doing well. (yes, I know I have a freakish memory sometimes)

Not all ear vendors are created equal....there are really good ones and really bad ones! Many just do it to pay for their shooting and therefore their product gets out dated and they don't do enough of them to keep a good technique. Others just seem to want to be paid and leave you hanging with no contact information and no guaranty. Some will sweet talk or act like your buddy and happily take your money with no conscience whatsoever.

I do over 2000 plugs every year for law enforcement, industry and shooting sports enthusiasts. Often I turn a customer away because their ear is better suited to the foam plugs and their hearing is more important than a few bucks in my pocket. And although I adore my shooting clientele I know you don't really need me as your friend so I'm not here to flirt with and flatter you.

For $50 I guaranty my plugs not to fall apart as well as for 6 month fit. You also get unlimited clear coating if you get your plugs from me so as to keep you in them for as long as possible and save you money. Do I mess up? Oh he-- yeah! but when I do I also do my best to make it right. Your ear vendor should do the same.

Please shooters be aware of who is doing your ears! Be sure they have been trained, stay current with product, sanitize instruments, control the weather elements that can affect your plugs performance by getting you inside rather than out in the humidity and heat because they care enough to give you the best product possible to preserve your hearing. Be sure they will tell you the truth about what product you should be using even if it means losing a sale. Particularly beware of vendors that simply mold your ear, trim off the canal stem with a razor and hand it back to you. There are so many that do that and then brag that they are doing them for $25-35 and, well, you get what you pay for there! Fungus, bacteria throw away plugs just to mention a few of the issues with those vendors. If you can pick up your plugs in less than an hour RUN!

I only know a few of the vendors listed in previous posts so I am not laying judgment on any of them...just letting you know what to look for. It's your hearing so choose well.

Enough said. Hope you could hear me :)
    Nancy v

14. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Matt, Thank you for the kind words.

Hey everyone, many of you already know me. My name is Jerry Bryant.. (Silent Treatment Hearing Protection and Enhancement)

I travel the Midwest attending major shooting events making custom molded ear plugs. I won't toot my own horn, or talk about what or how I do things. If you want to know the quality of my work just ask here on TS.com, I have made plugs for many of those who post here.

If you have questions or are in need of hearing protection or related products please feel free to catch me at one of the shoots I attend and vend at or call me at 941-380-2111

As Matt stated above, if you are looking to catch me on the road .. . . I'm at Brittney this week for the IL state shoot and Ohio for their State Shoot next week. The week after I'll be in Michigan for the Big 50 week and the Great Lakes Grand, then over to WV for their State Shoot, back to Sparta for the SCTP, back to MI for their State Shoot ... then a couple of days off before the Grand. I'll be there for the AIM program all the way to the end, then back to OH for the Cardinal Classic.. with a bit of luck up to the Heartland Grand. Back up to MI for the Fall Team Shoot.. then have a bit of time off before returning to Missouri for the Fall Handicap.

As you can see I travel to quite a few shoot in the warm months, hoping to reach as many customers as possible. At the end of all this running, I will return to my home in FL.

Jerry Bryant

15. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

I am 100% satisfied with my plugs by Nancy (Ear Gems) more than two years ago.

Bill Penn

16. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

Have Jerry Bryant make a set when you see him. Jerry made me a set yesterday and I really like them.

Search tags for this page
custom ear plug vendor
ear bud plugs for trapshooters
jerry bryant hearing
make custom shooters ear plugs
making custom molded ear plugs with ear buds for shooting
send mold and return finished ear plugs

silent treatment ear plugs

what kind of hearing protection trapshootig forum