1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CUSTOM EAR PLUGS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jamie65, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamie65

jamie65 Member

does anyone have any names and phone numbers for people who make custom ear protection in the mpls-saint paul mn area / thanks

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

sammmie--I got my last set from a hearing aid place, they make an impression (mold) when you get a set of "fitted" hearing aids so I asked if he would make an extra pair so far they have been good. Ross Puls

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

What's with the OP deleting his post?

4. jamie65

jamie65 Member

my post was deleted by accident , the original post was asking for names and numbers of people in the mpls - saint paul mn area that make and fit custom ear protection. thanks

5. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

I found that custom ear plugs do work good,but the problem I had was they were made in a relaxed condition.Meaning when I put my check on the gun they would pop out or seemed like there is something hard in my ear.I just went back to the cheap ear plugs and they work fine.I shot less than a round with them.

6. Chuckbuster

Chuckbuster TS Member

I GOT TWO DIFFERENT SETS MADE AT THE NRA NATIONAL SHOOT IN PORT CLINTON OHIO. THEY SEEM TO FIT GOOD BUT MY EARS RING AFTER TRAP SHOOTING. YOU ARE RIGHT. I THINK WHEN YOU GET THEM CAST IN A RELAXED STATE THEY ARE FINE. WHEN YOUR FACE CHANGES EXPRESSIONS THEY DO NOT SEAL GOOD ENOUGH. THE YELLOW EAR PLUGS WORK BETTER. I USUALLY WEAR MY IMPAC HOWARD LIGHT MUFFS WITH HEARING INHANSMENT. GUESS WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT IN OUR CHOICES.

TOM

7. open choke

open choke TS Member

Chugiakshooter......I had the same problem they had to re-mold my shooting side.

Also when I mount on the comb it doesn't seal right

So what we did was had the goo injected in the ear and then had me mount a gun and then the guy smoothed the mold to toasted the edges some more I stayed mounted for a minute an then let it settle in for the rest of the 10 minutes

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Will she be set up at the MO Fall Handicap?

9. Mark T

Mark T TS Member

Custom molded earplugs are the best way to go. You need to know and understand a couple of things about them before purchasing them. First, Make sure the person making them uses a direct pressure syringe, not the caulking gun type that you squeeze the handle as this type could rupture your eardrum. Second make sure that they go to the second bend in the ear canal as well as fill the bowl of the ear. If they don't do this properly the earplugs will not work and protect your hearing properly.

You should also find out what the dB certified tested rating on their product is. It should be a minimum of 30db for custom molded - solid - non-electronic earplugs.

For shooters who go hard into their stock you should have a plug molded for when you shoot by mounting your gun in the shooting position while the plug cures. Advise the person making them of this issue. There is a trade off for this though. You will have maximum protection when shooting your gun but not when you are not.

The other option for those of you who go heavy into your stock is to have your gun fitted properly by a professional fitter. Going heavy into the stock is a sign of improper fit.

AS an engineer and an audiologist with 15 years and having made thousands of earplugs I have found these thing to be accurate and true every single time I have encountered an issue with earplugs not fitting correctly.

Hope these tips help. Shoot well!

Mark T

10. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Mark... Thank you for your post, you told it like it is.

I am currently at the Mo Fall Handicap making the custom molded ear plugs. I have had very good reports from the shooters I have made plugs for and I work hard to make sure each shooter gets the best protection possiable.

If your plug pops out when you mount or shoot.. it is not fitted properly !!

Anyone who has any questions or would like to have a set made please stop by and see me. I'm set up with Liz the Massage lady on the vend line behind bank 22

Jerry Bryant (Silent Treatment Hearing Protection and Enhancement) 941-380-2111

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Hundreds of post on this subject have proven one thing. There is no one answer for everyone. I have used the molded ear plugs for years because the foam inserts tend to pop out.

The muffs are the best if you can use them, but like a lot of shooters, I can't mount the gun wearing them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

custom ear plugs mn

shooting earplugs in minnesota

trap shooting ear plugs made in minnesota