1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Barrel Work by the "Masters"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mulls427, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mulls427

mulls427 Member

Custom Barrel Work by the

More or less a curiosity on my part. What is the general consensus of our trapshooting community. Does this work and tuning done by Masters such as Allor,Briley and Wilkinson etc. help with anything from scores to recoil.
    Also is the "Masters Barrel" now more or less marketable when it comes to resale value higher or lower? Well what do you guys and gals think?
    Mike Mullery Jr.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I,v had four barrels done by Wilkinson every one of them shot very well . I also had a Perazzi 34 inch full choke barrel that shot well out of the box .

I had two of my barrels done because I was not happy with the patterns and Wilkinson did fix them . I don,t think it will add anything to resale .

ALF

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Barrel work masters?

IMO, the late Herb Orre was #1, the late Tom Seitz would be #2. Others today are probably just as good but go with a major name like Eyster or Wilkinson. Yes the right barrel work can reduce recoil and change point of impact. It can help...or hurt resale value depending on who is purchasing the gun from you.

Good luck,

milt

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Opinions are like.. Well, I think you know. Some people will claim that barrel work will cause you to lose money on a sale. Well.... Maybe if you are needing to sell it today. The right buyer may see it as being just what he would do as long as you have all the documentation, recipts, Etc. I have never had any trouble selling barrels that had been altered by greats of the game. The key is documentation. Somebody selling a barrel by Wilkensen that isn't marked, no paperwork ETC ETC is likely to not realize the money spent on barrel work. So buy barrels that have been worked on with proper docs, have barrels worked on and then keep the docs, and don't offer much for undocumented barrels. This is how I see it. The right buyer will not hesitate as long as the gun is priced fairly for what it is. That in and of itself is a huge factor and far bigger then barrel work. a buyer that would never pay the money to have a barrel worked on, will try and use it as a reason for why he should pay less. I would tell him that it isn't the gun for him and to search somewhere else. Jeff Westlund

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Hey Mike, good to hear from you again. Drop by the club and say hello.

If a barrel shot and patterned OK, I wouldn't send it to a "Master" for any reason. If the barrel or choke was "bad", I would, and have.

Eyster and Wilkinson do major work on the forcing cone. Both reduce felt recoil. Allor works on the chokes first then the barrel, and only touches the forcing cone if he needs to do more. His barrels (I have three) do not shoot as softly as Wilkinson's, for instance. However, the magic he works on patterns is something you have to experience to believe. I wish I had asked him specifically to do the cones.

My first Perazzi was a used MX-15 with a Wilkinson barrel and chokes. Loved it. The Wilkinson stamp was an added inducement to buy the gun. An Allor or Eyster stamp would do the same. As long as no modifications were made after their work, I'd know the barrel was good. Without on of their stamps, I'd certainly spend some time on the pattern board before I finalized the purchase.

BTW, Briley doesn't test. They simply do the machining and send the gun back to you. They do not belong in the "Master" classification.

6. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

My most recent exp. with barrel work. I purchased a 34" k barrel off of this site that had been fixed choke and briley put thin walls in it. The seller said he couldn't shoot skeet with it. What a suprise neither could I! I patterened the barrel and it shot 60/40 and 80/20. Problem solved but the patterns looked pretty crappy. I then shot a barrel that Allor worked on the fixed chokes. 16 and 28 along side of a barrel briley had put thin walls in and I had Kerry backbore. Both barrels Kerry worked on thru uniform(as a shotgun gets) patterns.
    When somebody works on a barrel and it shoots softer either the forcing cones have been releaved or it has been backbored to the point of letting gas escape around the wad(baker and his .80 id barrels).

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any barrel work done by Stu Wright? I have some chokes that need to be opened up on a Browning Superposed used for hunting. I know all of the work (not barrel work) I have have had done by Mr. Wright has been first rate at a reasonable price. I also like the fact that I can deliver the barrels to Mr. Wright without having to send them by UPS/FEDX/USPS.

DoubleAuto

8. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

take your altered barrel and shoot the pattern board with a factory barrel along side and see if anyone can tell which is which, it' all hype, but if the owner thinks that the alteration works that's all that matters.

9. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

i have a k-80 and when i patterned it the bottom barrel shot low.

sent it to k intl and they replaced the barrel hanger and returned it shooting 50/50 with no charge...

i was pleased..

ernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

allor shotgun barrel work