1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom 10/22 raffle gun teaser

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by turmite, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turmite

turmite Member

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/turmite/?action=view&current=raffle1a.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    Here are four photos showing a Custom Ruger 10/22 our local high school trap team is gong to raffle off. I developed this stock in 3d cad with some help from a couple of friends, carved it on my cnc, and just got the basic finish on it. Still needs wet sanded and polished, as well as checkering. The action will be made black to match the blue octagonal barrel and the Tony Kidd Trigger group. The stock is made from Western Big Leaf Maple from Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas.

Once completed we would like to come back and offer some tickets here.

Mike

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/turmite/?action=view&current=raffle4a.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/turmite/?action=view&current=raffle2a.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/turmite/?action=view&current=raffle3a.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. turmite

turmite Member

maybe I should have ask for comments???? 122 views and not a word, good or bad. Not trying to start a fight, just curious what you guys think,

Mike

3. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Beautiful work! Where can we purchase raffle tickets to support the High School Team?

Bud

4. Garry

Garry Active Member

Hi Mike,

Pretty stock and a neat project for the team. I shoot left handed. If I win the raffle will you remove the right hand cheek piece and then refinish the wood?

5. turmite

turmite Member

Thanks guys,
    I am headed to a funeral in Dallas so will be off line for a while, but will try to get on late this evening. I will try to address all questions as they come, and Garry I will make it so you as a lefty can shoot it.

Mike

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Nice, where can I buy tickets?

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Beautiful work and wood. And an octagon barrel.

8. stillmisses

stillmisses TS Member

Hi Mike,
    Beautiful rifle. I would also like to purchase tickets for the raffle.
    Mike T.
    Still misses

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Yup, count me in too.

10. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

A couple of suggestions. If you're using a stock 10-22 action use other Kidd parts such as his bolt and other internals to complement the trigger - it will make a big difference in both functioning and accuracy. Kidd makes 2 types of triggers - a 2-stage target trigger and a great single-stage trigger --- the single-stage is much more versatile.

You might also want to attach a permanent Picitinny mount to make mounting a scope easier.

Looks like a great project and I'd like to buy some tickets - good luck.

11. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Nice gun, pity there banned in Australia!

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why do Aussies oil their gardens?

Because their banned guns are buried there.

13. turmite

turmite Member

Hey thanks for all the comments. I finally made it back from the funeral. I have never been involved in a raffle like this, and actually, I will not be involved in the actual raffle, but our team has never done anything like this. I am going to need some help, suggestions etc. We are going to offer 1000 tickets at $20 per ticket. The funds will be handled through our school in a special fund set aside for the trap team.

I want to have this ready to start the selling of tickets in a month if the checkerer er er can work it in. Do most people who do this kind of raffle use standard roll tickets, with matching numbers, or do they print their own tickets on sheets? Who is allowed to purchase tickets and who is excluded from purchasing?

I am asking from lack of experience.

Mike

14. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Would there be other prizes besides the Ruger?

I think $20 tickets for just the one gun are going to be a hard sell.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dang $20,000 raised on a $1000(being generous) gun?? Makes all of our fund raisers seem like child's play. 1000 tickets is awful watered down in my opinion.

16. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

That's my opinion also Matt.

If you gross 2 - 3 times the value of your prize is as much as you can hope for....good cause or not.

17. turmite

turmite Member

grntitan "Dang $20,000 raised on a $1000 (being generous) gun" you obviously have never bought a Kidd Trigger for a 10/22, or a piece of highly figured maple and paid to have that turned into a custom stock. How in the world did you come up with the generous price of $1000. The reciever still has to be blacked, new bases with quick detach rings and hopefully a scope to match. This will be a significantly expensive 10/22 when finished. I have all the reciepts for the project less the labor in the stock and what the checkering will cost, but let me lay it out for you.

Cost of the Ruger $180, cost of barrel $200 with shipping, cost of the Kidd $230, cost of the piece of wood $350 with shipping and checkering will be approx $350 plus shipping both ways. That comes to a little over $1300 with no labor for the stock. Is the stock work any less valuable for a rimfire stock that it is for a shotgun stock just because of the cost of the gun? Isn't craftsmanship after all is said and done, craftsmanship?

Now with that said, I did not come on here to start a pissing match and offered up the fact I was ignorant to these raffles, including the fact I wanted to make sure everything was done with proper safeguards in place so there would be no question of honesty.

I have no problem with you, RickN or anyone for that matter telling me what I need to do to make this a fair and equitable raffle, how to set it up or to have it run, since I will not be involved, but please don't belittle the value of the rifle just because it is not a high grade shotgun.

What would be a fair and equitable price per ticket, total number of tickets for a package deal that will be finaled around the $2500 mark including a name brand scope of something in the 2X7X30 range? I came here asking for advice and that has not changed.

Mike

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

In your 2nd post you did ask what we think. If you were not prepared for the truth you shouldn't have asked. That said I may have been a little off on my estimate and it did come off as if i was belittling such a fine gun. I do see you have put quite a lot of work and mobey in tgat gun. I didnt think you would be so offended but even given a $2500 10/22 you can't expect to raise $20,000 on it. People will see $20 per ticket and a 1000 of them being sold and walk away. The odds need to be better so they feel they have a chance. As Rick stated, look to double and maximum maybe triple your investment. It can't appear someone is getting rich on the deal. Our High School Trap team fund raisers are a huge success when we net $1000-$2000. We are not looking to buy everyone new guns.

I am quite familiar with Ruger 10/22's as I own two of them. I think the idea for raffling this highly modded rifle is a great idea. Guns always raffle good around here and we have done several bone stock factory shotguns but our profit was small. Good luck with your team and raffle. I did not respond here to start a confrontation. If that is what it appeared, I apologize.

P.S. I did assume the stock was being donated. Often times fund raisers especially for the youth revolve around a certain amount of donated items and services. Never tried it with our team but perhaps the profit margin could have been better if a local stock maker could have been cohearsed into donating a stock.

19. turmite

turmite Member

grtitan,

Thank you for your input. The candor about cost of tickets and number of tickets, did not bother me. Honestly I assumed, and you know what that makes me! I assumed you were belittling the gun because it was a 10/22 and for that, I apologize to you.

I do want input as I want this to be a fair and equitable fundraiser for our trap team. Btw, I am the local stock maker ;) but I am also one of the coaches for this team, and have given thousands over the last 5 years. I shut my business down 4 years ago to take care of my dying wife and am just now getting it started again. I was ask by the head coach to come up with a fund raising idea and I planned this well over a year ago, but told him due to my limited funds and needing to start back to work that I would need to be re imburse for the rifle. I have fronted all the cost of this as well as spending hundreds of hrs perfecting the 3d model that this was carved from. Hopefully I will recoup that cost over time with a few of these high grade stocks.

All of our students have to furnish their own guns as well as some of their ammo. We have 50 shooters this year and it takes a small fortune to feed the thrower as well as the team supplied ammo. I assure you I do not want us to come off as greedy or trying to pull some sort of scam, therefore, my questions here.

I have already have committments for 15 tickets at the $20 price by just showing the rough carved stock and I know that is a long way away from 1000 tickets, but......

What about the propriety of parents of the students purchasing tickets? When I tell you I am green at this, I mean it. Your input is appreciated and if I came off as defensive, you now know why. Sorry for that.

Mike

20. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I'll pay $20 how do I sign up? Even if I don't win, the $20 is well spent.
    R Talley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.