1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CURRENT SHOTSHELL POWDER AVAILABILTY

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bossbasl, Jan 6, 2017.

1. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Have just been advised by regional distributor that IMR and Hodgdon powders are more available than any Alliant powders.

Apparently, IMR has developed replacement powders for the more popular Alliant powders. The new IMR powders listed are as follows: IMR Red=Red Dot; IMR Green=Green Dot; IMR Blue=Blue Dot; IMR Unequal=Unique; IMR Target=Bullseye. The only current inventory of Alliant powders for shotshell reloading was listed as limited quantities of Green Dot and 20/28.

I had previously not been aware of the new IMR powders and do not know how closely they match to the listed Alliant equivalent powders.

2. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

From what I have seen, IMR's new "colors" data mirrors the like color of Alliant old data. Same is true for the "unequal" and the "target" powder.

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Is this a change in the ingredients of the powder or just a change in the looks of the labeling?

4. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Reloading data for the new Hodgdon "Dots" replacements are available. It seems to have been copied from the Alliant data, the powders are that close. I have 4 lbs of the "Red" and it looks just like Red Dot, red dots and all. I have not tried it yet, it's hunt'n season, not shoot'n season.

The powder is made in Canada and packaged in the USA.

5. likes-to-shoot

6. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Different powder, made by different people in a different country. Formulated to have the same burn rate and density as the Alliant Dot powders and Unique. Same reloading data. It appears "Red" loads exactly the same as Red Dot, etc. They say they're cleaner burning.

bossbasl thanked this.
  7. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

Anyone have a clue as to what Alliant's malfunction is? Almost everywhere ya look, B&M stores, online, etc, it's absent, and they don't even offer a backorder option. We ain't in a big shooting war right now, so this stream wouldn't be affecting supplies much I wouldn't think. Part of a much larger entity, GD, is there sumpin up their sleeve?

I'm still working my supplies down from the past and likely won't need ANY powder or a while. But, I'm glad Hodgdon jumped in there to find a manufacturer that would make a similar powder that everyone liked so much. Wonder why Alliant couldn't have done the subcontracting thing to keep long time customers to remain customers.

Paladin thanked this.
  8. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Well said.

9. wadcrusher

wadcrusher Active Member

look at Noble Sport Vectan Powders......Grafs has it....Powder Valley does too.....Free Hazmat from Grafs if you order over 10 pounds....Cheddite primers are 114.00....you can order up to 48 pounds of powder ....and add primers under the same fee .....Vectan D20 is like Green Dot ...but one heck of a lot cleaner...I load it Grain for Grain.....Loading data is available too.....

2llc thanked this.
  10. wadcrusher

wadcrusher Active Member

oh yeah...they have flat rate shipping at $7.95.....do the math

11. jroccasano

jroccasano Member

Is the 7.95 include hazmat?

12. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

What's is the density like as far as green dot? What bushing does it take for say 21 grains?

13. wadcrusher

wadcrusher Active Member

Yes..you have to order 10 pounds for the free.hazmat.
    They are 1.1 pounds..order 10..shipping is 7.95..no hazmat...comes out to 123 a keg if you do the m
    Pretty much the same.

Trust your scale

14. wadcrusher

wadcrusher Active Member

Never changed wads.
    Just like green dot...i use a 468 bushing in a 366 pacific for 20.3 of green dot...dropped back to a 459 for same...

15. likes-to-shoot

Are Alliant powders the same as Hodgdon powders where you have to drop bushing sizes with the new powders?

16. wadcrusher

wadcrusher Active Member

You always need to weigh your charges....the bushings andnthe chart for them is a guideline ...you must...and i repeat....you must always check your drops with a good quality scale.

17. likes-to-shoot

Yes I know, if you read any of my posts you would know that I'm a strict believer of weighing the powder loads.

I'm just curious. The bushings dropped a few sizes with the change in Hodgdons powder so I was wondering if the same thing was going on with Alliant powders.

18. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

This is a difficult question to understand. Are you trying to compare the changes in the bushing for the Clays powders that occurred when the production shifted from Australia to Canada with the bushings that might be needed when shifting from old Alliant "Dots" to the new powders from Hodgdon/IMR that are supposed to be the same? While I have some news IMR "Red," I don't have any Red Dot so I can't make any comparison on whether the bushings in reality match up. But the Hodgdon bushing charts say they do match up.

19. likes-to-shoot

The Hodgdon bushing charts never changed. The composition of the Canadian Clays made it a denser powder(weighing more per grain) than what was made in Australia.

The question is, did any changes occur with the "Dots" powders require a bushing change for the same weight of powder.

And yes, weighing the powders would tell you but I don't have any of the "dot" powders so I was just curious if anyone knew.

20. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of any changes that occurred with respect to the "Dot" powders that would indicate a bushing change. Did Alliant do something to its "Dots" powders that I missed?

Search tags for this page
imr unequal powder comparable to unique

imr unequal same as alliant unique