1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious: Long Gun Wait Time

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Does one have to wait ten days to take possession of a long gun in all states? That is, in some states, can one buy and walk with a long gun? Or, in some states, if one has a concealed carry permit, can one buy "now" and go to the range? I'm just happy for a friend who recently took delivery of a new trapgun on Christmas Day.

2. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

As far as I know, in Ohio you can buy and walk with any gun as long as you pass the NICS check. This does of course exclude machine guns or any requiring a seperate license or tax stamp.

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Plunk down your money, fill out the paperwork,show your conceled carry permit,and walk out with your new firearm in Ky.

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

No waiting period in NH

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That's another reason I moved out of that "Craphole" of California, And I was born there. No wait in Alabama, other than a 5 minute phone call.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Normally, no wait in Georgia, unless they have to do futher checks and then it is a 3 busines day wait. If you have a tote permit there is no wait. Jackie B.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Idaho - concealed carry permit - buy & walk now

8. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania is cash and carry after you pass the NICS phone call.

Handguns and long guns are the same.

9. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Oregon, no CCW permit required to carry a new long or short gun out of the store after passing the NICS check. Another good reason to live here (if you're gonna move in, bring some money, OK?).

10. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

No wait here in Arizona. Just fill out the paper work, they call it in, and your good to go.

I'm another "ex-california" guy that finally saw the light about six years ago. Very happy with my move except for the property taxes which are still going up close to 10% yearly in the past two years. That's from $3,169.90 in 2009 to $3,493.54 in 2010 with no changes to the property in those years ?? I thought our home was valued at less now ?? I guess the state thinks they are entitled to my money.

These taxes are more than my property taxes on my business property in california (thanks proposition 13) and my five acres in Oklahoma by double !!!

Tom Strunk

11. SCL

SCL Member

Illinois, 24 hours on long guns and muzzleloaders(the British will be here tomorrow, run to thee gun smithy and purchase some arms hahaha) and 72 hours for handguns. The residents of Illinois are way to safe and way to irresponsible to be issued Carry Permits!

Scott

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Try this: In California where I live, if one has a gun on consignment with an FFL, one must wait ten days to have a background check to take one's own gun back if the parties figure the gun won't sell in the store.

I get it; maybe we will have to fill out paper at the range before we take our guns home after a shoot!

The wrong people make too many laws. The wrong people are all too often "politicians"...i.e., "elected officials" that "represent" us.

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Zero wait in Virginia.

14. GaryCookInc

GaryCookInc Member

I agree with "Chango2", I too live in CA. If it wasn't for being born here, all my family, kids, and job being here, I'd get the heck out. Way too many Stupid laws. Even with a CCW, I've had to wait the 10 days to get my own gun back from a dealer when it was on consignment, not to mention, pay the processing fees to the dealer and State. That law is doing nothing for keeping guns out of the wrong hands, it only pads the coffers of the State.

Gary

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ironically, I wonder if instant check defers the bad guy. Think of it this way: Bad person applies for a gun. Has to wait ten days. Might be told via phone that he/she does not qualify due to a history of crime, outstanding warrant, etc. So...don't show up to get the firearm and not be nabbed. I imagine some criminals are dumb enough to hope that they will "slide" through the system and smart enough to realize that just maybe they will.

Opposite picture: Instant check, bad/dangerous person discovered, instant phone call to local authorities?

Therefore, criminal may be less likely to try and apply for a firearm.

I realize that both scenarios are low probability, but judging how "efficient" agencies are, I think anything has and can happen.

Anyway, I started this thread by asking the question 'cause an inlaw of mine happily took delivery of a trapgun his wife ordered from a local So-Cal gundealer. She told me he was quite happy when he opened the package Christmas am...and the gun arrived about three days before Christmas. They live in Montana. I didn't realize "how" and figured the gun had to go into a ten day "quarantine" with their local FFL.

16. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

As Lou said, in Idaho no wait if you have a concealed carry permit. If you don't, in my experience it has taken about 5-10 minutes or less to clear NCIS, and when you do, you take delivery.

Tom, I have some property (bare ground) up along the Salmon River between Challis and Salmon, just a little under 40 acres. I bought it about twelve years ago. Back then the taxes were a little over $140 for the year. This year they were a little over $78. They've been dropping every year.

17. tachyon

tachyon Member

Long guns in Nebraska has no waiting period. Fill out the federal form, wait for the ncis check, take your rifle/shotgun.

Handguns require a permit from your local sheriff. Costs $5.00 took me about 20 minutes and is good for 3 years.

Handguns in Omaha requires a "registration" with the local police. Dealer gives you the forms, you have to go to the police station and they can hold your paperwork for up to 10 days. Cost is $10.00 per gun.

The irony to all of this is that if a felon tries to buy a gun, and is turned down he has committed a felony BUT the feds will not even reply to a call from a dealer around here. More important things to do..... How many federal prosecutions has there been in the last year based on ncis checks?

18. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

In Missouri, 5 minutes to NCIS, and you're good to go play.........

19. Robbie T

Robbie T TS Member

no waiting in Indiana for long guns or hand guns. Just fill out the paper work they call it in and your on your way with your firearm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.