1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious about old Ljutic cork wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I ended up with a bag of the old Ljutic cork wads. Was wondering what kind of recipes were used. I can tell you 17 grains of Promo won't even make them pop say nothing about bang. Makes sense - the pressure seal is non existent. Hah.

Was actually hoping they'd loosen up my pattern for my first shot in doubles.

Thanks, Joe

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Hi Joe, I used to shoot them for skeet and as I remember, it was like 18 gr. of 700x with 1 1/8 oz. They worked just fine back then but we didn't have all the plastics to choose from. Before Ljutic's and Alcan one piece wads it was nitro cards and filler wads..very slow loading process but we shot a lot of them.

Big Jack

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Joe, you have to use a nitro card under the cork wad for the seal.

Ajax

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Big Jack is correct. The wads were caller "monowads" and they were used at the Lincoln Park Gun Club in Chicago in the 70's. No nitro card was needed. They were perfectly adequate for 16 yard targets. Winchester actually did a special run of shells with these wads for Lincoln Park. I believe the hulls were not AA, but the same dimensions, and 18gr of 700X would have made a fairly hot load.

5. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

The Ljutic wads I loaded (thousands) were not cork at all. The were some sort of tough fiber and could be had in many different lengths. They were called "monowads" and did a good job. There was no need to use a "nitro" card which was a great benefit. Ljutic wads were made back then in guages down thru the 410. The only cork swads I ever saw and loaded were Sullivan wads, and they loaded fine also..............Stroker

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Ajax, Now you tell me (kidding). I need a shell dismantler for the 2 boxes I loading up in anticipation. These are definitely cork. That powder cup plays a big role, doesn't it? With no shot cup I wonder if my pattern will be larger.

7. old tex

old tex TS Member

Joe - I tried them many years ago and believe I broke some targets with the wad!

When we were loading paper hulls and the weather was hot and then cooled off they would stick to the hulls and kick like hell.

They would also punch full caliber holes in 1/4 in. plywood at 40 yds!!!!

The Ljutics were very inovative folks and Al was (is) a genius at gun design.

How many worn out Monoguns have you seen?

unc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.