1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious about chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by neofight, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

I've been in this almost a year now, still learning and still curious. I understand the reasons for having different size chokes and their impact, but i don't have a clue as to the differences/advantages, if any, of extended chokes, such as the Briley over the stock flush type that i have on my Brownings.

They look nice and one can see at a glance which choke they have installed, but is there a performance advantage, tighter pattern, consistency, etc?

Thanks in advance... Bloom

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The only advantage of extended over flush mount chokes is ease of installation and looks. It also does help keep powder residue off the rib, sight and end of barrel if thats worth anything. I personally like the look. I only use one choke constriction so quick ID is not an issue with me. Others may find that aspect useful.

Matt

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The extended chokes offer a longer parallel section in the choke, which is touted to give you better patterns.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have patterned many chokes.. honestly I have never found any after market chokes that worked better than the ones that come with the gun... I mean.. what secret could a choke company know that a gun company dont know?

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I agree with what Matt said.

And if you ask the choke manufacturers who tout the "longer parallel section gives you better patterns" for substantive proof of this claim, you won't get it.

And then there's the argument that chokes with NO parallel section produce the best patterns, such as those made by Teague.

Bottom line is you don't know unless you pattern your load in your gun through your choke.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Sporting clay guys like'em because they can (and do) change chokes by hand (no wrench) just about every shot.

Manufacturers like'em because you can't impress people with a choke that's out of sight buried in the barrel.

Trap shooters like'em because you can't impress people with a choke that's out of sight buried in the barrel.

The shot doesn't care.

MK

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I like them because they protect the barrel in case you bang it into the ground or something by accident. Also easy to install and remove by hand.

8. neofight

neofight TS Member

Thanks guys, curiosity satisfied.Time for lunch and a nap now.

9. team henges

team henges TS Member

depending on which extended ones you get they could also give you anywhere from 1/4 up to 2 inches of more barrel.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"depending on which extended ones you get they could also give you anywhere from 1/4 up to 2 inches of more barrel."</I></blockquote>...and depending how much more barrel you create you may discover that you have to take out the choke tube just to get the barrel back in the gun case!

MK

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have a pigeon grade with a jug choke. It really gives excellent patterns.I probably should shoot it more than I do but I just look better with my other guns with the pretty choke sticking out the barrel.

12. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Bloom, and the # 1 reason, it gives you something to do between posts. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.