1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

curing the flinch?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sheezastar, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sheezastar

sheezastar TS Member

I was wondering if anyone read the article by Bob Palmer in the July Trap and Field? What say any of you about the idea that the flinch can be overcome in the manner suggested? I have watched my son battle this issue for several years, with and without Mr. Palmer's assistance, to no avail. As a member of the National Development Team he had ample incentive to get rid of the flinch due to an international rule change prohibiting release triggers. But he has not been able to lick it and had to give up his shot at shooting overseas. In ATA trap he has a 99.00 average so we don't think it's his eyes or his lack of focus. At his level of competition a 99/100 is not an option and giving yourself permission to miss a target makes no sense. If any of you is able to overcome a longtime flinch using this method please let us know.

2. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

does the gun fit him perfectly? or is he being abused by it?

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

A flinch is an acquired reflex. Several things can cause the reflex and once it is acquired, it rarely goes away. My gun is equipped with a double release trigger.

Pat Ireland

4. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

My flinch begins with my vision. If I am not looking in the proper area, I may have a target startle me. I get the trigger pulled but the target is out quite aways when i fianlly pull the trigger. It doesn't happen all the time. But if I am not real focused it can happen at least twice during a 100. I'm not sure a release trigger is as much an issue ofr me as it is simply looking in the right spot and simply being attentive!

Rick

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

every once in a while i flinch with a release trigger. maybe once out of 1000 rounds. i don't believe a release is a total cure but it does cure 99.5% of the problem

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I doubt that it is a reflex because it is really a lack of motion, pulling the trigger and it would have to be a reflex to something. and, if was caused by recoil, you would flinch everytime and a release trigger wouldn't help.

7. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Learn to enjoy recoil. If you watch long time shooters, and see one with a misfire, he'll just about fall over on his face. He's learned to actualy lean into the recoil, and his shooting would go to hell, at least briefly, if the gun didn't recoil.

8. emm2

emm2 Member

Flinches are only caused by 2 things. A sight flinch or a recoil flinch. A flinch is an effect you have to find the cause before you can determine how to correct it. Don't jump to some conclusion like I need a release trigger and all will be fine, it won't. Determine whether it's sight or recoil and then follow an educated path to fix it.

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

24str8
    "I've been working on developing a 'quiet eye' and with added concentration have all but eliminated flinching." Were do look for the bird, or were is your eyes focused? 10Tenner

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i believe the release forces you to focus on the target better.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Some surgeons can no longer use a scalpel, some golfers can no longer putt, some 2nd basemen can no longer throw to first and many archers can no longer release an arrow. None of them experience recoil or visual problems. All have one thing in common-they flinch!!

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Well in my case I really believe most of the time when I flinch it's caused by physical things such as my carpol tunnell or tennis elbow or any number of other physical defects caused by my work. Once in awhile I believe it may be caused by the mind thing. A cure could be something as simple as being totally rested and relaxed or waiting until your physical hadicaps are cured. However some of us may never be cured physically and just have to live with the flinch. Now the problem is to be like that (cured rested and relaxed)every time you shoot. lol What's the odds of that?

13. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

To the people who claim that flinches are caused by recoil, poor sight picture, or bad shooting habits and can be cured by simply fixing the root problem, how do you explain what happens when a shooter gets his gun changed to a release trigger and immediately the flinching problem goes away?

This is the same shooter, shooting the same gun, with the same shells, with the same eyesight, and with the same bad shooting habits. So how does changing to a release trigger cure these faults? I don't know HOW a release trigger cures these faults and stops the flinching, but it does in about 99% of the cases. So there has to be more to curing the problem than just reducing recoil or changing the way you see the target.

14. k3uro

k3uro Member

Heck,

My worst flinch is with a 410 :eek:).

The target flinch is a fear of missing, nothing more, in my opinion.

There are other flinches and a Release Trigger will not fix them. A target flinch can be fixed with a Release.

I attempted to shoot International with a Release and I found out what the problem is. When going from the low mount to the shoulder the finger comes off of the trigger and the gun goes off. I do not believe it is dangerous but it sure causes a lot of lost targets :eek:).

Take care,

Jim

15. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Release did it for me. But here's something else: Until a few days ago, I had been unable to use a pull trigger when I wanted to try someone's new gun, flinching so bad that the barrel jerked off the target. A club member told me something a coach showed him. Use your third finger as the trigger finger and place your trigger finger alongside the receiver. You won't flinch, he said. I tried it. Worked just fine.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

JBrooks- A reflex is simply a stimulus response pathway that does not involve the higher brain centers. It may, or may not involve some sort of motion. If you smell good food, your salivary glands will become active through a reflex.

smsnyder- I am intrigued by your position that a release trigger "forces concentration on the target". Could you elaborate a little on your reasoning? I would think that at least during the first several hundred targets, a release would require a little less focus on the target and more focus on the trigger.

Pat Ireland

17. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

This started out as a "how to fix it". I am new to trap shooting but have been shooting bullseye pistol for several years. Flinching is a problem there too. What I did to try to fix the problem is to have someone else load my pistol with live or blank rounds. Since I didn't know if it was a live round or not, and trying to control the flinch, I would have to squeeze the trigger without flinching. This might be easier to do with an over/under shotgun, if the first barrel does not go off, a second pull on the trigger will give you a chance to break the target.

Hope this helps,

Mike

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

One of my wife's best buddies with whom she played Division 1 Softball was a top pitcher and recently elected to the local Hall of Fame. Unfortunately she had to quit pitching because she could no longer release the ball and the back stops weren't high enough when she tried. Fear and anxiety began with a hit batsman and never left until she became a total basket case on the mound.

One of my fellow "B" league pitchers and pretty good Trapshooters went through the same problem and overcame it with hypnosis and a Shrink.

Anyone see any parallels here!!

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

MrkS, your answer to FLAKEM above I find very interesting.

"FLAKEM; I've had the same problem (after using a release trigger) of not being able to 'pull' a trigger; I am going to try your cure. I like my 3rd finger. However, I hunt and shoot Skeet with a 'pull' trigger and it is never a problem. Sort of like not swearing in church?"

What I found extremely interesting was this part:

"However, I hunt and shoot Skeet with a 'pull' trigger and it is never a problem."

Why do you suppose that happens when your shooting trap and not in the other shotgun games you mentioned? Like everyone else, I have my own thoughts and theories for the whys and would be interested in reading your's also? Hap

20. mike b.

mike b. Member

I helped mine by increasing the length of pull by 1/2 to one inch. My flinch is the type where the bottom falls out in swinging, and the dip is hard to recover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to cure recoil flench for trapshooters