1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cure for release trigger flinch.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Alamo, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alamo

Alamo Member

Reference thread posted recently by shooter who had difficulty maintaining

enough pressure on trigger after it was set in order to avoid accidental

discharge. I suffer from this also. Thought that I might have to quit

shooting. Had my trigger recently set to seven plus lbs.(as opposed to the

normal 3 1/2 to 4 lbs., still maintain a two lb difference between set and let

off)and after 400 targets have not experienced one accidental discharge. This

seems to be working for me. Hope it may be answer to others who suffer from

this mental "flinch". It is a miserable thing for a trapshooter to go through.

You are not alone!

2. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

You do have a problem

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Consider hypnosis, and having the hypnotist teach you self hypnosis. This allowed me to overcome a debilitating flinch, and even to shoot high velocity handicap loads without flinching. Part of the positive re enforcement was to accept recoil as a constructive part of the shot. It means the load is on the way to boil the target. Sounds silly, but it works.

Thinking too much about the trigger will cause anxiety and improper shooting technique.

You must WANT to succeed for the hypnotic suggestion to work. You cannot get a nun to do a table dance unless she wants to! LOL

Sports hypnosis has been used for years to enhance one's desire and determination to improve performance.

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Alamo,

I can't see how making the trigger harder to set would help anything, especially if you kept the same difference between set weight and release weight. This would simply make it harder to hold and make an accidental discharge more likely, in my opinion.

Secondly, most release triggers have a THREE pound difference between the set weight and the release weight. TWO pounds is generally not enough difference for most shooters.

Third, if you are having problems making yourself set the trigger, try dry-fire practice with the release trigger. Once you learn that the gun isn't just going to go off by itself without any action on your part, then you shouldn't have any problem setting or holding the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Better release control is achieved when there is a greater separation between set and release. That, along with increased set pressure, is the ticket. One more trick is available-music while shooting via earphones fools the brain for many. Warning-the effect may not last forever!!

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Does bowling bring anything to mind?

Curt

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Alamo,

I can't see how making the trigger harder to set would help anything, especially if you kept the same difference between set weight and release weight. This would simply make it harder to hold and make an accidental discharge more likely, in my opinion.

Secondly, most release triggers have a THREE pound difference between the set weight and the release weight. TWO pounds is generally not enough difference for most shooters.

Third, if you are having problems making yourself set the trigger, try dry-fire practice with the release trigger. Once you learn that the gun isn't just going to go off by itself without any action on your part, then you shouldn't have any problem setting or holding the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Better release control is achieved when there is a greater separation between set and release. That, along with increased set pressure, is the ticket. One more trick is available-music while shooting via earphones fools the brain for many. Warning-the effect may not last forever!!

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Does bowling bring anything to mind?

Curt

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Tranquilizers...lots n lots of tranquilizers

11. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"Consider hypnosis, and having the hypnotist teach you self hypnosis. This allowed me to overcome a debilitating flinch, and even to shoot high velocity handicap loads without flinching."

I have experienced this myself, not for flinching but for focus issues and making sure I follow all the right techniques, consistantly.

It works for me but you have to do your part, they cannot take someone off the street and make them AA overnight, it is a tool to be used, like having good gun fit, checking POI etc.

They don't make you "go into a trance", that is entertainment media BS; you do not loose control of your own actions.

12. Shooting Coach

Dear GMAG

You muttonhead! LOL

You do this AWAY from the field. The state of hypnosis is similar to dozing off in a chair at the gun club, or maybe while driving, after a long day (OOPS)

Don't pay attention to the trash you may see on TV about someone thinking they are a rock star, or have forgotten their pants. That is truly "entertainment media BS".

13. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Alamo,

Hang on tight, Buddy!

Booger

14. oletymer

oletymer Member

Consider a pull trigger.

15. Taminator

Taminator TS Member

Do not waste your time with a pull trigger!!

16. Shooting Coach

DON"T MESS WITH ME WHILE I'M DOZING IN MY CHAIR!!!! I spend a lot of time there these days, and I'm very good at it. LOL

17. CalvinMD

Just what I need! Having to wonder if my squadmates are a bunch of flinching zombies...it would make a hell of a movie

18. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

If you are flinching with a release there's only one remedy--take two weeks off and then QUIT.

19. Shooting Coach

It can be beat. Trust me. This time last year I flinched with a tubed 410. These are air rifles! I know I went two months without one single 25 straight. Talk about depression! Physical fitness and the shooting sports consume my life. I stay fit so I can train others to shoot, defend themselves, and so I can shoot all day without getting tired!

If you love the sport like I do, try the hypnosis route. A couple of weeks ago, I shot a flat of bullets off the 27 that were loaded with 25 gr Unique and 1 1/8 oz of shot. Needless to say, they had plenty of recoil and noise!

I did not finch one single time. I did not think about pulling the trigger. When things looked good, the gun went bang. I may have shot my lifetime best for 200 birds at the back fence (195)

Try it. It will work.

20. CalvinMD

Take a few weeks of nothing but lots of 22 rimfire shooting..you can train your mind to not fear the trigger pull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.