1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crushing AA Hulls on a 366

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beau69, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

So I just got about 5000 once fired AA for free and tried them on my 366 press that was set up for Remington.

I probably crushed every hull that I put through it. put the starter crimp down and final crimp up but that didnt work. Then tinkered with the 3 crimp stations and it didnt work at all.

What adjustments do I need to make? How deep on the first crimp? 2nd? last one?

Need some help. Got lots of hulls but just got so frustrated trying to make it work.

2. 333t

333t Member

In what station are the hulls being crushed?

Phil

3. TC

TC TS Member

Post a picture if you can or describe the "crush" Tony

4. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

they are being crushed in the 2nd crimp station...and in terms of 'describing it'...about halfway down the hull (about between the bottom on a wad and the bottom of the wad cup)...tahts where it crushes.

5. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Try increasing wad pressure to compress the wad a little more.
    Also make sure U don't have the start crimp set too low as excessive
    material in crimp can cause crushing. May have to experiment with a
    different wad.

Doyal

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Raise the crimp starter and the final crimp station about one turn. You are smashing the shells so just decrease the pressure the press puts on the shells.

Pat Ireland

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Call Hornady and obtain an instruction manual and talk to a service rep.

Curt

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

generally what Pat said. It's a standard problem with AA's. I think the "sleeve" grabs the hull and forces it down, buckling it. Back the sleeve off, then reset your crimp depth. It should work for both AA and remingtons when done, without a hitch..

Jim

9. brokendownbob

brokendownbob TS Member

I just recently went through the same thing on my 366. What I found was that my new bag of claybuster wads were oversized at the base causing the shell hulls to be crushed. Hope this helps.
    Bob

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Applying taper to a AA will cause it to buckle. On my PW I backed off completely on the taper and adjusted the crimp. Does the "sleve" that BigM-Perazzi referred to put a taper on the hull?

11. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

thanks guys. I'll try that and let you know.
    keep the tips coming though!

I'm loading with WAA12 wads (the real ones from Winchester)

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone's hit it yet.....Though JerryP is RIGHT on the edge

I'll bet you a beer at the 2010 Alaska State shoot that you have an older style 366 with a tapered final crimp die.

Call Hornady, tell them what the problem is (the hulls are "wrinkling" right above where the two piece ends, aren't they?) and ask them to send you a new die. The old ones have something like a .003" taper, and it's just enough to ruin the hulls - especially if, as several others note, your final crimp and finishing crimp aren't set just so.

But I'll bet the new die fixes it. Hornady will most likely ship it to you for free.

jeff

13. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

What components are you using??? I have found that many recipes for AA's dont seem to fit very well.

14. BigM-Perazzi

Yes, that's what I'm referring to as the "sleve" (sp). the crimp die is tapered, that's why you need to back it off so it doesn't grab the hull. I never needed the "new" sleeve, I just adjusted the old one back to get rid of the problem...

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My solution is what MIKKEEH is talking about .... reduce the load volume. Usually a higher density powder like 700x will do the trick. I load with both the old Pacific 366 and a newer Hornady 366a.

16. TC

TC TS Member

Assuming the proper shot/powder volumes are being used and verified as correct, and enough wad pressure to seat the wad, the three stations need to be adjusted:

1). The pre-crimp should close up the hull mouth to about the size of a pencil eraser.

2). The crimp station body needs to have at least 11 threads showing above the big nut. You want to make sure it is not coming down over the hull too far. Depth of crimp is adjusted with a screwdriver. Don't overdue it!

3). The final taper crimp die should just barely kiss the hull. In my opinion it is not needed.

One last note, once a HS style hull has wrinkled above the base wad, it will always wrinkle on subsequent loadings. Best to mark them as throw aways because you can't always see it on the empty hulls.

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

BigM-Perazzi, Looks like I omitted an e.

The components inside the hull have nothing to do with the wrinkle problem being discussed. The components apply no downward pressure on the hull walls. They are inside pushing on the bottom of the hull. The crimp die is set to apply a predetermined amount of pressure and will do so regardless of the contents. If too much is stuffed inside there will be more pressure on the bottom of hull but I don't see how that could increase the downward pressure on the hull walls.

18. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Beau, I'm convinced your wrinkle problem is a result of your wad being too long and stiff. I suggest you try the Downrange replacement for the WaaF114. Some shooters in my area of southern Michigan switched to that wad for the same reason you described. Don't get jacked out of shape with the idea of 1 1/8 oz. of shot in a 1 1/4 oz. wad. Shooters in my area didn't notice any change in performance but they did notice their hulls didn't wrinkle. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

19. BigM-Perazzi

Jerry, sometimes it's "E-Z" to do lol...

20. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

BigM - I could never make that work, just backing off the crimp die. Dunno. Maybe I didn't go far enough. But the new die sure enough fixed it - and that's after I used 700x, red dot, downranges, claybusters, AA wads, and an ounce and an ounce and an eighth of shot.

I agree, too, once they wrinkle, you might as well toss em. The wrinkle "shoots out" to where you don't always see it, but when you load it, there it is again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

correct crushed shotshell hulls