1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crushing 20 ga HS hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Anyone else having a problem loading these hulls. It happens occasionally with my Mec Grabber so I set up my 366 auto and it's worse. Using Claybuster HS wad and measured shot and powder and the drops are correct. Crushing 1/4 inch above the brass. Help. Jackie B.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Same problem, changed wad to Win AA20 wad and problem went away. HMB

3. ajhiii07

ajhiii07 Member

adjust adjust to much crimp pressure, not enough crimp start check your hulls before starting

4. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

I had the same problem. Sold the worthless Winchester hulls. I measured and weighed ten times, the recipe will not fit in the shell, period. Fits perfect in the Remington hulls. Sell them to the first clown that says the recipe works for him. I won't change components willy nilly to make a load work. If it says AA 7/8 oz. wad, that is what I use.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, several years back I switched to the Remington wad. Never a problem. Using a 9000G and Universal Clays.

6. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I use the Rem. RXP wad too with 20/28 powder. Perfect crimps and no crushing. ....Rick

7. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

The HS hulls do not have the internal volume to load 7/8 with CB wads with most powders. Makes a dandy 3/4 oz. load. Excellent for skeet practice etc. Alliant 20/28 powder is the squalin' nuts IMHO.

8. 391 SL

391 SL Member

What they said. RXP20 and 20/28 powder from Alliant. Use your CB20 wads in old AA or Remington STS to use them up. The RXP wad petals are flared out and very quick and easy to position.

9. David P.

David P. TS Member

RXP wads in AA20 hulls, no more problems. AA20 wads in Remington hulls no problem. Odd, but it works!

10. Shooting Jack

Thanks for the help. I have over 10,000 CB wads I'll figure out what I can use them for. LOL I wonder what the claybuster manufactorer has to say about them not working in the AA HS hulls. Thanks again. Jackie B

11. TC

TC TS Member

Jackie, couple things: adequate pre crimp, no excessive crimp, no taper. Also look at the hulls, if you see the slightest wrinkle in the hull, discard it. It will only get worse and will buckle. Tony

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

its your crimp die....you need a straight walled die, without the .oo5 taper that's standard. call hornady, they'll most likely give you one.

13. Shooting Jack

Well, so much for contacting Hornady. I called customer service and explained my problem and the guy said not to load those hulls like that was helping me. I also asked about the straight wall crimp die as suggested and he said that was for paper shells and would make no difference. I have three 366's that I probably won't keep with that kind of service. I kept my Mec's and have always gotten super service from them. Anyone have a straight wall crimp starter they want to sell. Jackie B.

14. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

With respect to the 366, I use claybuster wads(winchester clones) or windjammers with international powder. Either one works fine for these hulls. Tighten your pre crimp to the point the hull is almost closed at that station. Next, back your crimper way off and start adjusting the center screw down before you screw the crimper down. You will be surprised how much you must back the crimper off compared to the old style hull. I had to remove the jam nut on the center screw and screw it down into the crimp assembly. Sorry I don't have the technical name for the parts. This will give you a factory crimp without crushing hulls.

Todd

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

wow....that shocks me, coming from hornady. I've always gotten great service (and two free straight wall dies) from them.

might call them back, see if you get a different guy.

that's pretty sad, really.

16. Shooting Jack

I found out today that Claybuster had updated their 20 ga wads to overcome the crushing problem. I just have some older style wads it would seem. Thanks for all the help. Jackie B.

17. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well, I have a fair amount of AAHS 20's and have had fairly good success loading them with AA20's and International Clays. I too load on a Grabber. I have found that running the machine one shell at a time to get it adjusted in respect to crimp start and crimp is a step in the right directon. My findings is that this is a critical adjustment with using a bit more pre-crimp and a little less crimp. I am glad to see that Claybuster has modified their 20 ga. wad to accomidate the AAHS's. Maybe there's hope yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crushing loading winchester hs hulls

mec grabber crushing shells

what wad do i need to use with the aa hs hull to keep the hull from crushing when crimping