1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CRUISE to Alaska for our STATE SHOOT in July...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jeff P, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Check out www.carnival.com. They have a northbound cruise that leaves Vancouver on July 8th and gets here the 15th of July - the day the shoot starts.

$579 per person, double occupancy.

That's cheap!!!!!!!!!

I don't know anything else about the cruise - and there is no kickback to me from Carnival, LOL. I'm just trying to get more folks to come up here and shoot with us. There are other cruise lines and other schedules, I'm sure...this one just fits sooooo good.

Pretty good chance to bring that significant other along, see some great sights on way up, and have a helluva time at our shoot, then fly home....

Jeff

2. james25889

james25889 Member

doubt they let you bring guns on board

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If not, you could always mail the gun to yourself, C/O

4. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Now the cost to get to the cruise from where you live.

5. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

I watch for good cruise prices on www.vacationstogo.com I have booked with them in the past with no problems. Sometimes they also offer upgrades or shipboard credit or deep discounts for a third/fourth person in the same cabin.

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Here are my tips for seeing Alaska on a budget.

Air Travel:

So far I’ve gotten eight free tickets on Alaska Airlines by using Air Miles from their Alaska Visa card. When you get a Black Signature Visa, you instantly get 20,000 Air Miles (which is enough for a free ticket) plus you get a $50 Companion Ticket.

If you’re going to use the $50 Companion Ticket, buy your tickets in October. Currently, if you buy a ticket for next year, the airfare from S. California to Anchorage is about $850, in October it will be on sale for half of that.

Rental Car:

I also use Alaska Airlines to reserve my rental car. Same thing, right now they’re about $30 a day, next year they’ll be close to $100 a day. Plus I reserve a sub compact car. When I get there, they always upgrade me to an SUV for an extra $5 a day.

Accommodations:

I stay in Wasilla, an hour north of Anchorage, at the Kozey Cabins. It's $800 a week for a cabin that has 3 queen beds. You do the math.

In Soldotna, on the Kenai Peninsula, I stay at the Spurrview House (It's a spectacular place) $175 -$250 a night.

Fishing:

On the Little Su I fish with Rainbow River Expeditions: $130 a day per person (6 hour trip, 1 guide and a boat).

On the Deshka River I use I Fish Alaska: $130 a day per person (6 hour trip, 1 guide and a boat).

In Soldotna I fly-out fish with High Adventure Air to the west side of Cook Inlet. $325 per person. (6 hour trip, 1 pilot / floatplane, 1 guide and a boat

Fish Processing:

In Wasilla I use Smoked Alaska, in Soldotna I use Ed's Kasilof Seafoods, both will treat you right.

So you see it’s really not that expensive to go to one of the most beautiful places in America.

Actually, from So Cal where I live, a trip to Alaska costs me about the same as going to the East coast.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

P.S. there’s plenty of time to do other things if you don’t want to fish every day.

<a href="http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2008.htm" target="_blank">http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2008.htm</a>

[​IMG]

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Joe's got it right...mail the gun up to the shoot care of yourself. Shouldn't be an issue there.

Heck, last year I had 8 guns in my basement once from various folks.

Paul, you've got a PM...but you can email me at jpokorny@cookinlethousing.org

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.