1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cruise to 2011 Alaska State Shoot ...Interested???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jeff P, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Good morning....

For those of you who don't know me...I'm the president of the Alaska ATA.

I'm working with the various cruise lines that cruise to Alaska each summer. Our state shoot is tentatively set for July 13-17, 2011, and I'm trying to get them to come up with a package that would have folks fly up, spend a few days doing tourist stuff, shoot all or part of the state shoot, and cruise home.

Or do it in the reverse order - cruise up, spend a few a few days doing tourist stuff, shoot, and then fly home.

Obviously, the devil will be in the details on pricing, time lines, etc. So far, the indication is that they might come up with some sort of package deal with a hard (known) price, and they might even knock a few bucks off. And indications are that having trapguns on the cruise ship won't be a problem - probably have to store them with the purser - but nobody is saying no yet.

So my question to you: How many folks out there might be interested in some sort of a week long cruise to or from Alaska with a few hundred targets thrown in and some salmon / halibut fishing, glacier cruising, denali park visiting, trips to Fairbanks, etc on the side?

My thought in doing this is it might be a neat way to see Alaska, shoot a few targets, throw a bone to the wife (who's probably been wanting to go on a cruise), and overall have a pretty good vacation. Spending a week on a cruise ship with a bunch of other trapshooters might be kinda fun too...

Comments welcome....I'm looking to gauge interest only. By the end of the summer we'll have a package price that should include airfare, the cruise, etc etc. I think we can commit to target prices for 2011 too.

Thank you,

Jeff Pokorny
    Alaska President

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Sorry....should have been more clear:

We're working with Princess, Royal, Holland - all the big cruise lines. This isn't some little local cruise line...these are the big boys with the nice ships.

Thanks
    jeff

3. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Sounds like a fine idea to me for those that like cruises and would like to see Alaska. I would prefer to fly in, check in to my hotel, go to the shoot.

J.F.

4. Wingshotgod

Wingshotgod Member

We're looking at going on a Alaska cruise for our 25th, price and departure points will be the key with us. Thanks, Lee

5. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Yes I might be, there are quite a few of my Wall Charts up there it would be great to meet my customers and do the cruise. I would be afraid I would never want to come home.

Terry.

6. jhoward

jhoward Member

My wife and I would be interested, as with Wingshot, price and departure/return permitting.

7. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I mite be intrested,was planing for 2013 trip , but if this looks good its possible

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My wife and I just booked a Alaskan cruise for July 16-23 of this year. Could very well be interested in one next year thou. There is no way a person could see all the wonders of your state in one or even two vacations.

I think you have a real good idea there Jeff and I wish you luck with it.

Bill

9. AlanM

AlanM Member

Jeff

Wish you would have come up with this idea last year. The Wife and I were up there during your state shoot but didn't know about it till we got home.

We really enjoyed the trip, beautiful state, great sites especially Denali. This is a great idea hope it works out for you.

Alan

10. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

sounds like a great idea to me.

JON

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

New to sport,Wife has always wanted a cruise up that way. Just might be an idea to consider especially if the Price is Right.We're over do for a Special vacation anyways.

Doug H.

12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I just checked with my wife, and we are definitely interested. Alaska is one of the two states I have not been in, and is the only one she has missed. We have talked about doing a cruise for several years now, and this would be a great opportunity. So unless the price is totally outrageous, we are in!

13. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

Please keep us informed

14. IcySwan1

IcySwan1 TS Member

No one will be disappointed if they take the cruise in either direction. I live in Fairbanks, AK, but commercial fish in Southeast AK out of Hoonah and in Icy Straits. I also have a home in Haines, AK. I have been all over this great state and the cruise will be amidst breath taking scenery,and amazing wildlife [whales, bears, eagles, etc.] Although there is a rivalry between Fairbanks [PITA state shoot] and Anchorage {ATA state shoot], I can fairly say the folks in Anchorage put on a first class event and will do everything possible to help you catch fish, flight see, or do whatever you want to do.

Mike

15. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have been on two round trip cruises out of Seattle and would go again in a flash. Wife says yes for 2011.

16. gotbass

gotbass Member

We'd be interested. Were planning on 2011 anyway. Details, details.

17. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Great idea, what about guns on a cruise ship? Could guns be shipped to the State shoot site? Jerry

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Throw in a moose, and sign me up.

19. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I had some friends from Md. do just as you mentioned in the summer of 2009.
    They had a great time,shot pretty well,and met some great folks up there.
    From what I understand they had a wonderful time,and said they would do it again in a heartbeat.I salute you guys up in the great state for working so hard to promote our sport.Great idea,and keep up the good work.
    D.P.Reynolds

20. otnot

otnot Active Member

JeffP,Dave Kaiser and Dave Cross have done a great job the last four years to turn a good state shoot into a great shoot. I don't know if it's a good idea to put a bunch of trapshooters on the same boat. LOL Maybe you could talk the captain into giving shooting lessons off the fantail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tips on shooting photos on a alaskan cruise