1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cruise Ship Crash

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Curious if anyone here knows how, technically, that Italian cruise ship that recently crashed can be towed/salvaged etc. One neighbor of mine says that there could be a huge disaster; (he was once in the Navy) the oil in the ship needs to be heated before it can be pumped out. That is the fuel, or "bunker" type of oil. If the ship were to break up, what a terrible mess. That ship, according to the neighbor, had just left a port and had about half a million gallons of fuel oil on board. I am not sure about this nor have I also read that or heard that.

Any naval engineers/salvage/ship engineers/ex Navy personnel folks here who could shed some light on this situation? I am also, from a lay standpoint, not buying that the "charts were wrong"...do not modern ships have depth readers, a kind of sonar, and radar?

Thanks,

David

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Look no further than Oregon for some of your answers.

3. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

The Italian cruise ship is almost certainly diesel-propelled. The existing diesel fuel would not have to be heated to pump out. I think most cruise ships now are diesel - Look at the funnels (smokestacks) - most are too small and too few for steam-propulsion.
    The US Navy moved away from heavy oil (NSFO- Navy Special Fuel Oil) in the 1970's and has burned something close to jet fuel (JP-5) since then even in the steam-propelled ships (nuclear excepted)
    The larger problem is the stability of the ship after fuel is removed considering the large amount of water remaining in the hull - at this point water has entered not only thru the gash in the hull but thru normal openings in the hull-e.g. portholes, stairwells etc
    One can only think and hope that smart guys are working thru the stability calculations before much is done- as there have been reports of the ship moving (or shifting) this would indicate that there is a lot of residual buoyancy and fuel removal would allow the hull to float so it can be towed elsewhere

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Makes me want to run right out and schedule a cruise? NOT

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Having survived the fire on USS Constellation when it was under construction in the Brooklybn Navy yard,i have these words of advice to any who takes a cruise.

1) know how to get to day light

2) have a flashlight on your person or within arms reach 24/7 (the flashight I used as an electrician save my life as well as several co-workers)

Finally I used to cruis when the ships were smaller & the ships catered more to individuls & not the masses.

Phil Berkowitz

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

He's gonna play with a small boat made out of soap in a mens prison shower stall. He's gonna remember to steer a safe course when picking upa the soap.

Phil Berkowitz

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Has anyone else noticed that the long gash we can see, complete with imbedded boulders is on the Port side of the hull, while the Italian coast is on the Starboard side?

I'll bet the investicators have. It'll be interesting to learn what really happened and how.

Guy Babin

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I'm counting on thinking like that of the cuban to make my next cruise cheaper- thanks.

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

They said on the news the "Captain" told a story that he tripped and fell into the Coast Guard boat. I know one thing he didn't trip over.......... his balls.

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

The type of diesels on ships are medium and low speed using heavy oil at sea and light diesel when manuvering.
    A plan of action might be to pump out fuel tanks to barges alongside as weather conditions permit. Temporary hull plating reairs on scene and pumps put in flooded spaces to reduce draft and weight.
    Using multiple high powered tugs on full moon high tide to pull off and refloat.
    Then tow to a repair facility for extensive survey to determine how /or whether to repair
    Marine salvors are going to undertake an extensive and very expensive project

dw ..retired harbor pilot

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Wife and I are going on a cruise the first week of February. The most dangerous part of the whole vacation will be driving to the airport and back. You can't hide from all the dangers in the world.

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

likes-to-shoot:

While I agree with your basic premise, there is a difference.

A number of recent news reports indicate you will be required to waive your legal rights (relative to the crew's gross negligence) when you board the ship. I have no such requirement before I drive my vehicle.

sissy

PS: The families of 32 dead or missing people won't be impressed with the overall safety records for cruise ships.

13. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

It's just me but I don't get cruises - over 4,000 people on this boat and it's nothing more than a floating hotel - when you do get to port you get to traipse off with the rest of the tourist horde and by overpriced trinkets in areas of the port city that bear little or no remeblance to what the rest of that community lives like. What do you do on these things that's any different than spending the whole time on the ground at your local Marriott?

rm

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

To "likes to shoot" there are great little flashlights out 1 AA battery & led-get each passenger one. You don't shoot without glasses & ear protection. Being on a dark ship is something no one should experience.

Phil Berkowitz

15. likes-to-shoot

Recoil:

As far as waivers go the waiver is no good if there is negligence or carelessness on the crew and/or company's part. All you are doing is acknowledging there is a risk in your activity. There is NO law saying that you can sign your basic rights away.

We used to have to sign them all the time when I was skydiving.

While your post script is true wouldn't the same statement be true of all the causes of every fatality?

Phil....I read your above post and have already put two of those flashlights (with fresh batteries) in our luggage. Good idea, thanks

Bill

Yak....Only a idiot would buy anything on the boat or on shore. There is nightly entertainment, clubs but most importantly its a vacation to get away from temperatures ranging from -6 to 15 for a week. I guess we all have our own way of relaxing. So if it doesn't bother you too much I think I will enjoy myself even if its just reclining in a chair soaking up some sun. Thanks for you concerns anyway.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My wife and I were married on a cruise ship. We did it that way because you weren't there and we were. We enjoyed it and there is just something about sailing across the ocean. Some get it, some don't.

17. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Franceso Schettino, the cruise ship captain, is being sued by Star Kist

for infringing ob their copyrighted advertising phrase--Chicken of The Sea!

18. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

It's funny how the people who run down cruising like yaki have never been on one. My brother does the same, makes no sense. Try it then bitch, not the other way around.

We've been wanting to book a cruise to Alaska this summer. Hopefully, this incident will make the price go down.

19. likes-to-shoot

John....We went there last summer. Fantastic trip. If you have the time and resources take a cruise that also has an inland side trip. eg. train, bus or what ever.

20. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My wife and I take about 1 cruise per year in the Caribbean. You can do as little or as much as you want while on board.

If you want to follow the masses on land, yo can. If you want to go off and book your our one day trip, you can and have a great experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cruise ship trap shooting

shooting trap from a cruise ship