1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crown barrels: Looking for pics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by englishupland, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

I'm looking for pics of crown grade barrels...Shoulder,breech,hangers.
    Please post or email me

Thanks

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Look up Gene Nosco. He has probably forgotten more about the Krieghoff than most folks will ever know. :^)

3. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

They should look like these..Shoot Well...Shoot Often, Bart
    [​IMG]

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is no such thing- lots of variations and lots of aftermarket engravers also

but the one thing you will find is the gauges to be engraved in the rib as shown in the attached picture

I did not comment on an earlier thread because of there is a "no such thing"

And even if there were such a thing- it would hold no particular increase in value beyond what increase it is worth for the engraving alone

Krieghoffs arent collectable

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. flabigpapa

Gene, One Man's Statement doesn't make it True..Although your may be Right..These aren't Collectors...There just Shooters..Shoot Well..Shoot Often,Bart
    [​IMG]

6. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

nice toys , Bart

7. englishupland

englishupland Member

Nice Bart,

Is that a Monte Carlo I see in there?

Any closeups of the engraved barrels?

8. flabigpapa

They are the Barrels in First Photo....thanks for the Kind words about the Toy's. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

9. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Well...... I have a verified factory original 4-barrel Crown set, #5558 (circa 1973), and it does NOT have the gauges engraved into the back of the rib.
    From what I have seen there is a considerable amount of individual creativity between sets, especially over time - the late 70's guns being much more embellished by the engravers than the early 70's guns. Also, some 4-barrel sets have "-1", "-2" and "-3" after the sub-gauge barrel serial numbers, and others just having the original 4-digit serial number on all four barrels.
    It has become a genuine study for me. Facinating to say the least, looking over all the model 32's I have seen. Most interesting to me is the fact the very earliest model 32 Kriggy's were essentially Remington 32's, including the trigger group. And the very last of the model 32's were model K-80's, all but for having no relief cut in the bottom of the receiver for the forend iron and being still stamped "Model 32".
    I wish to write a book on the model 32 Krieghoff. However, I have my doubts I will ever git 'er done.
    Mike Durhan

10. Rebel Sympathy

Krieghoff 32's may not be collectible today - but, they will be someday - probably soon, especially as more and more are modified in one way or the other. The unmolested originals are becoming more and more scarce.

I feel they are on the verge of becoming quite collectible now.

Great gun + Lot of people shot them + becoming scarce in original condition = collectible.

Mike

11. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

There must be different styles of Crown grade barrel set engraving. I have a set of four barrels 12/20/28/.410 that were represented as Crown grade barrels at the time I purchased them from Alamo Sporting Arms to add to my San Remo M32. The engraving and gold inlay is different. When I purchased the four barrels from Alamo they put the serial numbers of my gun on the barrels to match. The serial number had a corresponding 1 - 2 - 3 or 4 after the 12, 20, 28 and .410. The hangars on each barrel also have the same gold inlay "filligree" as is seen on the barrel "shoulder" but I don't have a current picture of this feature.

A friend of mine just purchased a four barrel Crown grade set from Robert Paxton. Go to Paxton Arms and look under the used gun section to see a pic of these barrels. Paxton also had a three barrel set - pictures of those as well.

I can't seem to add more than one picture at a time. Here is a San Remo that has been "messed with." The gold inlay work was done by Bill Main. Basically, I had him turn all of the original engraved birds/dogs to gold. I have not seen a lot of actual Crown Grade barrels. Some are advertised as being a Crown Grade gun, but the engraving is doubtful at best - especially when it comes to the engraving and gold inlay on the barrel(s). If anyone wants the other pics of barrels, receiver, trigger guard, etc send me an email : amboy49@msn.com

Good luck in your search.

12. englishupland

englishupland Member

I've seen different crown styles as well
    I'm wondering what is a factory krieghoff crown vs barrels that are aftermarket engraved on breech and hangers being sold as crown

I guess I'm after the difference between a factory crown barrel and aftermarket engraved and/or inlayed barrel being peddled as crown

13. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

There must be different styles of Crown grade barrel set engraving. I have a set of four barrels 12/20/28/.410 that were represented as Crown grade barrels at the time I purchased them from Alamo Sporting Arms to add to my San Remo M32. The engraving and gold inlay is different. When I purchased the four barrels from Alamo they put the serial numbers of my gun on the barrels to match. The serial number had a corresponding 1 - 2 - 3 or 4 after the 12, 20, 28 and .410. The hangars on each barrel also have the same gold inlay "filligree" as is seen on the barrel "shoulder" but I don't have a current picture of this feature.

A friend of mine just purchased a four barrel Crown grade set from Robert Paxton. Go to Paxton Arms and look under the used gun section to see a pic of these barrels. Paxton also had a three barrel set - pictures of those as well.

I can't seem to add more than one picture at a time. Here is a San Remo that has been "messed with." The gold inlay work was done by Bill Main. Basically, I had him turn all of the original engraved birds/dogs to gold. I have not seen a lot of actual Crown Grade barrels. Some are advertised as being a Crown Grade gun, but the engraving is doubtful at best - especially when it comes to the engraving and gold inlay on the barrel(s). If anyone wants the other pics of barrels, receiver, trigger guard, etc send me an email : amboy49@msn.com

Good luck in your search.

14. englishupland

englishupland Member

I've seen different crown styles as well
    I'm wondering what is a factory krieghoff crown vs barrels that are aftermarket engraved on breech and hangers being sold as crown

I guess I'm after the difference between a factory crown barrel and aftermarket engraved and/or inlayed barrel being peddled as crown

15. magic

magic Member

Here is a page from my original 1968 Dealers Manual. Look on the 2nd side about engraved barrels......just tossing that in.

JASON SHEEHY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I've never seen a set of krieghoff barrels with that design of barrel hanger. Looks very robust to say the least. I wonder if they were prototype designs, or they were actually mfg for sale that way.

17. magic

magic Member

I assume you are referencing the ones on the sub gauge barrels in the picture? Thats how they were....

18. englishupland

englishupland Member

How much was $275 in 1968....todays $ ??

19. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Remember these guns were "ordered" - you didnt just walk into sears and and there were 5 on the rack

Each order was different

Even K80s now with standard engraving may be different- not only because of engraver but because of order

I used to get krieghoffs out of Crete-- and the guy there ordered them with a little less engraving and with oil finished wood- maybe the less engraving was the trigger guard - etc

Someone mentioned above about a crown grade without gauges on the barrrel for a 4 barrel set- and I believe that- although I have never seen it personally.

There was no standard

regards from Iowa

Gene

20. Rebel Sympathy

There are two Crown 32 4-barrel sets for sale right now on Hal duPont's website without gauge markings on the rib as well as without engraving on the outside surface of the chambers - exactly like mine. They are numbers 9364 and 9365. See them on www.halkguns.com under "pre-owned". My 4-barrel 32 set (#5558) is a match to these two, even to the same punchdot pattern on the rear slope of the sliding hood.
    Incidentally, lest you wonder, mine is not an Angelo Bee job; it is signed by Roland Schmidt, perhaps one of Krieghoff's best engravers from the late 60's into the early 80's when, at such time, he went on his own. However, he still does special order work for Krieghoff.....
    Live and learn - that's my motto.
    All the best to everyone this holiday season.
    Mike Durhan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.