1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

crow shooting -where?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

where is the best place to shoot crows and get a guided hunt ?

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Why do you need a guide? Just drive around farms with grain field and corn fields till you see lots of crows. Ask the farmer if you can shoot the crows and go to it.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I never understood the whole guided hunt thing. How much satisfaction do you get by someone else finding your game for you and bascially setting the whole scenerio where all you do is shoot the game? I have achieved the greatest satisfaction with even the smallest whitetail's i have taken for the simple fact i did it ALL on my own. Found the hunting spot, scouted and found the best stand location and then hunted it until i had success. Trophies are in the eyes of the beholder.

4. acss

well- good point, but when we travel to hunt, i dont like to waste time scouting and asking---i deal with farmers everyday and have lined up many shoots where i live ( we had 1.3 million snow geese in the area last year, the best spots are always spoken for) -sometimes you just want it all done and only worry about 'shooting"!!

5. grntitan

See if the site above helps.

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

Where ever you go take some of those french fri holders from McDonalds with you. About the best bait you can get.

ctreay

7. acss

good link--thanks--------
    here is another hunt we are looking at- pigeon shooting over decoys--"soar no more" in boise idaho, i cant say as i want to spend the $ on airfare, but no hunting lisc or limit!! http://www.soarnomore.com/

8. William Perry

William Perry Member

I don't know if we have any guides for that here in Delaware, but most of the produce farmers here will almost pay you to shoot them due to the crop damage this time of year. I just bought an electronic caller and some decoys. I turned the machine on and had crows overhead in 3 minutes. But they are smart. There is a Crowbusters group near here and they welcome new guys.

Bill

9. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Walpole Island, Ont, Canada. 30 minutes from Detroit. Millions of crows. Farmers will allow (actually encourage) you to hunt their land or the Indian guides provide excellent service. You can not carry enough shells to last all day. Marc

10. acss

luv-i may have to look into that--MILLIONS" has a ring to it!!!! do you have a gunshop/sporting good store there is could get some leads from?

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You can also look for public lands that border private agricultural lands. With a good loud electronic caller, I've brought crows in from a long ways off.

Make damn sure you shoot the scout crow. Don't let him get suspicious and report back.

I also find a caller that has a crow-owl fight works great. Switch back and forth between it and crow distress. I also use a dummy owl with a dummy crow "ddead" at its feet, with the speaker hidden close by, buried in brush. This really gets them riled up.

12. grntitan

Brian--What kind of uniform will the scout be wearing so we will know who he is? :)

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

We have a season on them here in Oregon. I shoot Stralings ( 10,000 plus rpounds per year) because they can be shot year round and are the closest thing to a duck as far as angles and speed of flight. Jeff

14. acss

but, i dont own a starling gun!!!!

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Where the heck are you shooting starlings at? I never see them outside of the cities.

16. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I believe starlings are an alien species to the US and you can shoot them anywhere it is legal to be shooting. When we raised pheasants, they would get in the pen through the fence by the hundreds. Get back from church and let them have it. Very few could get back out.

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Right now it's blueberrys, eary it was cherries. some times it's jhay fields when they are out "Bugging" after crops are gone it's back to the dairys or anyplace you can find that is a roost.Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.