1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crow hunting loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gary M, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary M

Gary M TS Member

A friend was asking about loads for crow hunting. He is using 1 1/4oz of No. 4
    shot with Blue Dot. Not sure of the recipe. Anyone have a favorite load they
    would like to share? He will only shoot published loads so if it is not in the
    books, he wouldn't be interested.

Thanks, Gary M.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I shoot an 1 1/8oz 1300fps load using longshot. I do this to "wing" one.

After the wounded bird is staked down and I'm back in the portable blind, out comes the .22lr. Just sit back and drop them one after another. Just like shooting fish in a barrel.

ss

3. striper

striper Member

I have been shooting crows for over 30yrs. I had until recently loaded 1400fps with # 6 shot. I am a member of www.crowbusters.com and through research on pellet count on crows that a number 8 or 9 in 1 1/8 no more than 1200 is the best killing load. They found out that the shock of the pellets is what kills the bird,ie impact not skin penetration. I will also use 7.5 in the crows are real high. Any patterns, are most consistent under 1250. The faster the fps the more distorted the shot pattern. Hope this give you some helpful ideas. Kill those black devils !!!!!!

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

striper- How did anyone conclude that the "sock of the pellets" killed the Crow. Mu experience in Western Oklahoma led me to believe 7.5 shot was best when the wind was blowing hard or poor visibility made the crows fly low. On clear days, I liked #6 shot. I hunted between the peanut fields and the roost and crows typically came over in flocks of 30-300. Crows like peanuts and a few tumbleweeds make an excellent blind. Shooting 50 Crows in an afternoons was common I have been told that the large roosts (Game commission estimated the roost around Fort Cobb was 6 million crows) are now gone.

Pat Ireland

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Not that I haven't shot a ton of crows and still do, just FYI, crows along with almost every other bird is a protected species by the feds, the only unprotected species is a Common English Sparrow, gotta love the tree hugers

But each state can have a season on them

The reason I know this is because my brother just retired from 40+ years as a National Wildlife Manager, and he was always ready to inform me of my infractions of the law ( he shot them too)

6. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Does any high volume crow shooting exist anymore, near the midwest? I'm interested in a hunt.

7. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

There used to be some large roost here in NW Alabama, but they dont seem to be as plentiful anymore, but I think they have simply migrated a little west into MS. I always used handicap trap loads 7.5 shot, Rem. 1100 with fixed modified , & never had any problems bringin em down, even long shots. I use to really be into crow hunting, I have got away from it over the years, Lots of good memories on some crow hunts with friends & family. I also remember taking a few varmints while Crow Hunting as well, U never know what u will call up.

Bud Wilson in Alabama AKA Showdawg

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I started off using larger size shot and eventually settled on 1 oz oz of #9s at 1300fps. I know its counter intuitive but that load kills crows like the death star.

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

They're all in the cities now. Seriously.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Catpower, besides the English Sparrow (some call it the House Sparrow) European Starlings are not Federally protected. English Sparrows and Starlings are the major reason for the decline of our native songbirds. If its legal in your state, kill as many of those birds as you want. In the winter starlings will flock up by the thousands. Fun shooting. Wayne

11. bigmike

bigmike TS Member

I use rem.nitro#27 or sts hulls hodgdon longshot 30.1gr.win-209 primers,waa12f114 wad , 1-1/4 oz. 7 1/2 mag.shot@1385 f.p.s. 10,400 psi. If that is to much recoil drop back to 28.2 gr. longshot it still gives you 1330 f.p.s. 9,100 psi everything else stays the same. This works well for me in my auto with a LT.-MOD. choke.shoot well,bigmike

12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I like 3Dram 7 1/2's and 3 extra large order of fries!!!!!

GS

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Here in Pennsylvania, Sunday hunting is not allowed with one exception - crows. In fact, you can only hunt them on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Go figure. Anyway, my son and I leave our groundhog kills from the rest of the week lay out in the fields and return on Sundays for the crows snooping around the carcasses.

We use .223s and .22-250s shooting 50-grain Hornady V-Max bullets or 52-grain Sierra MatchKing boattails. The longer the yardage, the better and you really have to see a crow explode when you put a thin-jacketed bullet into the boiler room!

Ed

14. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Here's how the law reads here in Minnesota:

"Crows are protected in Minnesota by state or federal laws, but may be taken as authorized. Crows may be taken without a license in season or at any time when they are doing or are about to do damage. The crow season in Minnesota is March 1 to March 31 and July 15 to October 15 . . . There is no limit."

A game warden friend of mine once told me that he'd never seen a crow that didn't look like it wasn't about to do damage to something...

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Wayno I agree, I was just reminding everyone how the gummit passes stupid laws to please a few wackos, I still shoot the hell out of crows and other useless animals.

Stupid laws being written by stupid people and we wonder why this country is going down the dumper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best crow hunting load

best crow loads

best loads hunting crows

crow hunting addicts

crow hunting loads

how to hunt crows threadsi
shells for crow hunting
which load to use for crow hunting