1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossover Stocks

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Terry, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry TS Member

Has any one had any experience with crossover stocks. I am right handed left eye dominate and i am having problems with my focusing ability in my right eye. Dr's say there is no correction or surgury to fix it. I have been shooting one eyed right handed, but it isn't working any more. This seems the way to go versus learning to shoot left handed.Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Terry B

2. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I have been reading Rollin's book on stockfitting and from what I have read about them, the biggest drawback was that it could increase recoil. I'm sure Rollin will be here with more info on them.

3. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    One of my customers recently went through a similar problem. Along with a great deal of other research this customer spoke with a well known shooting instructor who had also recently gone through a change from right to left hand shooting. This shooting instructor's advice was to 'just do it and get it overwith". He told him that rather than struggle with this the rest of your shooting career it was better to just make the necessary adjustments and have it done. He told him that it took him several weeks and about 1000 rounds of (cra**py) shooting, but once done his shooting was better than ever. Having said that, I just had another customer (Kim Rhode) have a cross-over type stock made my Wenig Gunstocks in Missouri, and they did an outstanding job .. fit her perfectly, which isn't easy. Their website is www.wenig.com. Good luck!
    - Mike Gregory

4. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

OK Mike, I have seen the Wening site several times and know how good they are. I have seen Kim. What makes it so difficult to fit her? Did I miss something? I know I would like to have her scores!!!! Thanks Omaha

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Terry;

As written above, crossover stocks, in addition to not fitting in hard gun cases, can lead to significant recoil to the side of the face. It is caused by the jog in the stock, which is worsened by increasing distance between the shooter's eyes and the plumpness of his cheeks. Both increase the jog in the stock.

I agree with Mike Gregory, above. You would be better off learning to shoot left-handed if at all possible. A crossover stock must be custom made in your presence and few stock makers have the experience and expertise to make one that fits.

Rollin

6. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Omaha - At a glance, there just couldn't be anything too difficult or out of the ordinary about fitting Kim ... But when you get into it, there certainly is. Kim is extremely sensitive to recoil in the face and the slightest bit of cast is too much, it just hits her too hard. At the same time, and while I don't believe she is a 'cross-over' or cross-dominent shooter, she has always needed a great deal of 'offset' in her comb, in order to get behind the rib. The combination of heavy offset without 'cast' has always been difficult to achieve. When you do get heavy enough 'offset' for her, or in other words, get her comb over far enough, her face can now be hard up against the side of the stock, which then will interfere with her getting her face over far enough. You also can't shave too much off of the comb or you don't have enough padding for her face. I also discovered just prior to the last olympics, while I was replacing the comb padding and covers to her two guns, that she seems to be able to detect a change in dimension or profile on her combs of less than ten to fifteen thousanths of an inch next to her face... seriously. Now we are mostly a machine shop and hold things to tighter tolerances than about anybody, but this surprised me. This may or may not be completely unusual, and I attribute it to the fact that she very seldom changes stocks or 'settings' on her stocks and practices A LOT!
    Comment to Rollin - As far as a crossover stock leading to 'significant recoil in the side of the face', I agree with you if you are talking about 'casting' off or on a stock till it fits a cross-dominant shooter, this indeed will be a face slammer for most. What I was referring to that Wenig does is to (This isn't easy to describe) offset the whole stock starting behind the pistol grip, so that the entire comb is still essentially parallel with the side of the barrell, not bending away from it as cast would. I'd note here for others that Rollin's advice here that "A crossover stock must be custom made in your presence and few stock makers have the experience and expertise to make one that fits" is right on. If you are going to do this, choose from among the best. Hit-em-all!! Mike Gregory

7. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

As usual, these guys are right on. I have fitted and tweaked as many crossovers as anyone over the years. Its always better just to GO lefty. Do it, learn it, get a lefty stock, get it fitted and get it over with. Good luck.
    Todd Nelson

8. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here's a pic of a side rib my brother installed on his gun. He lost sight in his right eye and shot left handed for quite a while and did ok. His explanation of his problems left handed was, several times in a 100 targets, he wanted to pull the trigger with his right hand! Maybe its possible someone with opposite eye dominance wouldn't have the same problem as he explained it to me? The best scores he ever shot was with the side rib, shooting off his right shoulder.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I also shot his gun but had to close my right eye and I smoked birds with ease. Just another way of skinnin a cat that needs skinnin. Hap

10. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I am in the process of learning to shoot with my left hand due to an injury to my right wrist which wound up fuzing my wrist. Now I can not bend the wrist and grip the stock with my right hand, I can only get my finger on the trigger and my little finger under the pistol grip portion of the stock, so my left arm was doing all the work of supporting and swinging my gun. Not pleasant. So it was either learn to shoot left handed or give up shooting.

I am strongly right eye dominant, so I am using Magic dots to block my right eye from the beads and allow me to shoot with both eyes open. I had my guns refittted for left hand shooting, and am starting to get back into the high teens now, but I have only fired about 250 rounds.

Changing to the left side is not easy, and it is important to get your guns fitted for the left hand as you will have enough problems without shooting with a gun fitted for the right hand. You have to adopt the attidude that you are starting over and not get discouraged or upset by the lower scores. You wont go all the way back to ground zero, as your knowledge of leads, swing through, etc. will still be with you. Make the decision and go for it. It will be difficult, but the results will be worth it. Good luck and good shooting.

11. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I am in the process of learning to shoot with my left hand due to an injury to my right wrist which wound up fuzing my wrist. Now I can not bend the wrist and grip the stock with my right hand, I can only get my finger on the trigger and my little finger under the pistol grip portion of the stock, so my left arm was doing all the work of supporting and swinging my gun. Not pleasant. So it was either learn to shoot left handed or give up shooting.

I am strongly right eye dominant, so I am using Magic dots to block my right eye from the beads and allow me to shoot with both eyes open. I had my guns refittted for left hand shooting, and am starting to get back into the high teens now, but I have only fired about 250 rounds.

Changing to the left side is not easy, and it is important to get your guns fitted for the left hand as you will have enough problems without shooting with a gun fitted for the right hand. You have to adopt the attidude that you are starting over and not get discouraged or upset by the lower scores. You wont go all the way back to ground zero, as your knowledge of leads, swing through, etc. will still be with you. Make the decision and go for it. It will be difficult, but the results will be worth it. Good luck and good shooting.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Kevin, I will email you the starting steps for adding a side rib. I lost the files I saved, hopefully he still has those. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cross over stocks
crossover gun stock
crossover gun stock video
crossover gun stocks

crossover stock shotgun

crossover stocks
shotgun semi crossover stock
shotguns with crossover stocks