1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

crossover stock for visually impaired

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FLAKETM, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

does anyone use one of those crossover stocks where you put the stock on one shoulder but look over the barrel with the off eye? If so, how is it working for you? I can't switch shoulders because of a pacemaker. No focus left in my shooting eye and I still love to shoot.

2. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I had a picture on my last computer -- which has since crashed, of a gun that had a rib about 18 inches or so in length that was on a mount which positioned it several inches off the barrel center for that problem. The fellow who owned it prefered it to an offset stock because of recoil concerns.

It didn't seem to be overly complicated or expensive to construct. Maybe someone else reading this will have that picture and will post it. It might work out for you.

Good luck with it.

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

We have a retired Air Force Team skeet shooter who lost sight in his right eye. He has gone to shooting with a twisted stock that lets him use the other eye and is back to shooting in the high 90s with yellow shells. Obviously, it can be done. He is in his mid 70s, age-wise. Ron

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

5. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

hi which side is ur pacemaker on. also which eye r u now relaying on. thnks howard

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I use the Carey side sighter and it works very well. I also have several guns with crossover stocks, and they work well also. I have also changed shoulders and that worked fairly well, but not for agressive games like flyers or International Skeet. I think the most uninvasive solution is the crossover stock if you can afford it. Wenig builds one, but any stockmaker can build one if he knows what he is doing.

7. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Folks,
    I really appreciate all the replies. I went out of town to see a grandchild just after I created my thread and just getting back. I must shoot from my left shoulder because I'm left-handed and had a pacemaker installed on the right side nine years ago. So I must continue with the left shoulder but must start using my right eye. I'd like to know more about side ribs and carey closer devices. Again, thanks so much for your concerned replies.
    Guy Coates

8. xtj

xtj Guest

Call Dennis Devault@ devault industries I am sure he can help you out.
    Jkg

9. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

XTJ: Yes, Dennis has made two regular stocks for me. He's the best. But, if I can use one of those side rib things to avoid the extra recoil, I'd like to try that.

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

For everyone's information, I have shot crossover guns for going on fifteen years and have not noticed any additional recoil from the offset stock. Properly fitted, there should be no cheek slap either.

11. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

shotgunpeople_2008_030390.jpg

This one is out at the Trapshooting Hall of Fame in Vandalia.

Quite a nice, home made rib addition.

12. xtj

xtj Guest

Flaketm

Dennis can make you a offsett rib also .

Xtj

13. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

xtj - thanks. i'm sure he can. I'd stil like to try one of those carey closer side sighters but can't even find out who owns carey closer company to get one.

14. xtj

xtj Guest

Flaketm,

You have a pm;

jkg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

carey side sighter