1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossfiring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Assuming that your gun fits and shoots where your looking.

Is it possible to crossfire without taking your eyes focus away from the target.

Not even for an instant.

Joe

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes. Its kind of like somebody changed the TV channel. What ever happens, happens in the CPU and it happens in milliseconds. The CPU uses this wrong track data to make a sudden and bogus correction to the gun position and the next thing you know somebody says 'loss'.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Joe...

My crossfiring will and can occur at any given nano-second. I've tried most of the gimmicks which I threw away after viewing Phil Kiner's DVD.

I have now settled for a occluded left eye and EZ Hit front sight.

Curt

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Would anyone like to answer the question? If the vision is consistant does this happen? From what I have seen in the tapes and observing shooters the eyes move within their orbs for some reason and if this is happening are they mataining focus on the target continually?

Joe

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I think it happens to me Gun Fitter. I use the Meadow Industries Blinders and their light pipe sights on my guns and I can definitely tell a difference. It cured me. I prefer the light pipes to the blinders by the way although both worked for me.

6. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Yes, but which eye is locked onto the target? Someone that crossfires can't tell! That is what the shooters that understand crossfiring are trying to tell you! Your off-eye locks on and you miss by two feet, yes you saw the bird the whole time.
    Cliff

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Hmrgun- Are you saying that it switches or starts out with the wrong eye? Is there something that is intrupted that causes the eyes to switch?
    For you does it happen on a particular target or all of them.

Joe

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Joe, it just happens and 90% of the time I am unaware the switch occured until after the miss and then the off eye is seeing the front side of the gun. It happens more frequently when my eyes are tired at the end of a 100 target event. Phil Kiner was the first to pick up on the problem. I have worked very hard at shooting the target quicker than I used too and that helped a lot however it does still happen with eye fatigue. Jim

9. Cush

Cush TS Member

>the eyes move within their orbs for some reason and if this is happening are
    >they mataining focus on the target continually?

I don't think so, Joe. If you truly have both eyes focused hard on the target, you are seeing it with both eyes (and not merely with your dominant eye, as some have supposed) and you won't "crossfire." I think the problem is that with fatigue (and some other causes) your shooting eye, even though it is your dominant eye, simply quits focusing on the target. You are left with a strange and distorted view of the target that your hand-eye coordination (developed to work primarily with your dominant eye) does not know how to address.

The problem, in my view, is better addressed by learning to keep your dominant eye "in the game," and not with simply occluding your off eye.

Occluding is quick, simple and certainly helps, but it hurts you in many other ways you won't realize until and unless you shoot one-eyed for years and then make the switch to two-eyed.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Look at the target and not the gun. That's easy, right? HMB

11. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Joe,
    It's mainly left trending targets, I am not aware of any difference in the way I pick up the target. I lock on with my left eye by mistake but I can't tell at the time, it's not a matter of switching at the last moment. The opaque tape works for me.
    Cliff

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My CPU (Corrupted Processing Unit) sometimes acts up. I need to switch it off completely once I have my hold and look point.

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Crush -If your a top shooter giving a clinic tape is the expedient or lazy way.

Of course most of my work is one on one. I don't like clinics there great for making money but there are always a few shooters who are short changed. I prefer to make less and have more positive results.

In the other post on convincing one eyed shooters I converted a one eye shooter during a gunfitting and he posted about it. Took about two hours and I only charged him for the Gun fitting.

I have to work harder and better. Not greedier or faster.

Joe

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

hmrgun you have a PM I have an explanation for you. Its so simple I wouldn't want to share it with the so called experts.

Joe

15. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

For me it's a sometimes-dominant left eye, usually resulting in shooting way behind a right target. I'm usually very aware of my leads, but when I miss, there is vagueness in my recollection of where I pointed my gun. Flinching and failing to pull the trigger are the most bothersome issues caused by this phenomenon. When I partially close my left eye prior to shooting, the problem is non-existent!

AndyH

16. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Andy44

Would you consider that to be a uncontroled LURCH?

17. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Maybe a SPASTIC one also!

AndyH ;-)

18. billn

billn Member

I had this problem for several years, and I went to the Dr and got glasses. I have not had the problem since I got the glasses. Now I see the target and most of the time if I do my part hit the target.

19. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Thank you for your postings.

As I suspected or knew there are many causes and no two shooters describe the exact same thing.

Correcting crossfiring has no simple one size fits all solution.

In my experience here are several causes of crossfiring or so called eye dominance issues.

Poor gun placement.(hold point or mount)
    Bad Gunfit.
    Poor vision.
    Poor technique or style.
    Poor focus point.
    Not allowing the eyes to settle or as some say become Quiet.
    Moving eyes too quick.
    Moving gun too quick.
    Bead checking.
    Fatigue.
    Distractions.

In all of the above there are solutions if you know what is wrong.

Now the shooter who has a laterality or dominance issues it gets harder but not impossible to correct.

Anyone who says it can't be done because they can't apply a single solution to many problems are wrong.

Of course you could poke out the offending eye.(some have suggested this not me)

Joe

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Yea or tape the lens over the offending eye so it can't happen.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cross firing skeet