1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossfiring and a visit to the eye doctor

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

My solution to crossfiring is to clarify my vision rather than occlude it. I've done two things:

1. Raised my vision plane 1/2 inch above the top of the barrel with an EoTech red dot scope. This clears the view all the way down to the top of the house. With this setup there's no barrel to look past for certain angled targets.

2. I also visit the eye doctor regularly. I noticed a few unexplained misses late in the summer, so I scheduled an appointment. As soon as I put my new glasses on I noticed my on-gun eye seemed to be a little fuzzy, but then it cleared up as I blinked. My over all vision was better but when I first put my glasses on in the morning, one eye seemed a bit fuzzy. After shooting a couple of times, I decided to go back and visit the eye doctor again.

He set me up with special glasses with lenses he inserted from a drawer full of labeled glass inserts. Then he improved it even more by putting one of two lenses over my eye and asked which one was better. He went back and forth and in the end he said my correction is between his two options. So instead of choosing the lesser one, which is what he tried first, he is going to prescribe the stronger one. We'll see how it works out.

I like my eye doctor.

Joe

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I'm glad your solution is working for you Joe. The eye floaters are driving me nuts but I have to live with em.

3. joe kuhn

Sorry to hear that Mike. I've heard of 'floaters' but don't have any direct experience. They sound like an occlusion inside your eye. What are they exactly, and tell us how they effect your shooting.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I would think (without knowing that is) that it would be tricky to pick up moving targets in a red dot scope.

What was the learning curve like Joe--how does that work?

BTW I received the package, but haven't tried it yet--I've been shooting too well to mess with the status quo.

Guy

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Floaters are generally little pieces of protein floating in the fluid in your eye. They occur often but mostly they are reabsorbed by the body. With some folks they are more persistent and may be permanent.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My favorite website for all medical questions is shown on the link above. I'm not willing to accept the risks of surgery even if I could find an Ophthalmologist in our area that would do a "floater only" vitrectomy. When shooting I often have blurred vision because one of the large floaters looks like a thin cloud of smoke. I learned from a good friend to keep looking over the trap house instead of down at the ground and try to wait for my vision to clear up before calling for the target.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have one of those "shower curtains" in my right eye that's actually the back surface of the vitreous gel that has pulled away from the retina (vitreal detachment}. The blur usually sits right in the middle of my focal plane. I found by accident that if I move my eyes to the extreme right and back to center, the motion of the eye will temporarily shift the blur off to the right and leave a clear focal plane for the shot.

Keller

8. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Hi Joe,

I live in the same general vicinity as you, who is your eye doctor? I don't really have one right now and am always looking for a good reference.

Thanks,
    Dan

9. joe kuhn

Dan - Eye doctor is at Sears Optical at the Fox Valley Mall. He's the Russian guy. I don't even know his name. I just ask, is he the doctor from Russia and they say yes or no on the day I want an appt. There are others there, but this guy is a rifle shooter, so we can talk shooting. Tell him Joe sent ya.

Guy - You ask, "What was the learning curve like Joe--how does that work?"

The learning curve was about 4 rounds. I really wanted this to work because of the cross firing so I went at it full force. Here's how I shoot it now. I look just below the half way point of the target rise - loose focus. Then I mount my gun into my gaze, with the red circle just above where I'm looking and call. Eyes on target and move directly to where I'm looking. Gun is set dead flat which puts the pattern inside the reticle. It's an intersection problem. It's easy as long as you're paying attention and stay on the gun. Check out the video compliments of Scott Calhoun.

Glad I don't have floaters. Good luck to you fellas. Doctor looked inside my eye for any problems and couldn't find any.

The Kuhner is below. My new prescription comes in ten days. BTW, both eyes needed stronger lenses.

joekuhn_2008_030358.jpg

10. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Hey Joe,

I was in St Charles last week and thought I would see you there but missed you. Would like to have touched base but did not happen. All the best to you and family.

Dennis DeVault

11. joe kuhn

Darn, I would have loved to see you Dennis. I'm there most Saturday mornings. See you next time.

Joe

12. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Joe: Just curious; what is the "tab" going to be on all this versus a 1/2" x 1/2" square of scotch tape?

13. joe kuhn

Reb,

Think of it in terms of broken targets. Tape didn't work for me so the value of tape is zero. A guy watching me the other said I was center punching every target with this gun. It wasn't every target, but to me, this gun is priceless because of what it helps me do. See example video.

14. joe kuhn

As noted above, my on-gun eye needed correction that was half way between the options available to my eye doctor. He first tried the lower correction but the view was a little blurry. It did clear up when I blinked, but he said we could try the other end of the correction. That lens is what I'm now wearing and it is right on.

When I put my glasses on now, the right lens is crystal clear and the left lens, which is off-gun, actually appears to not be quite as clear. I test this by closing one eye and then the other. With both eyes open, the view is super and very comfortable at the range. My confidence in my vision correction is back and I handily logged bookends yesterday - a straight at the beginning and end of a shooting session. We had gusting winds up to 25 mph from the left of the range orientation making left handers rise and right handers drop. It was similar to wobble.

15. warren

warren Member

I've tried just about everything for crossfiring and for me nothing works, however after over two years of getting a shot in my right eye every six weeks it is responding and I can see as well with it as my left eye and my averages are actually picking up. I just hope it's permenent only time will tell in the meantime I still go to my eye doctor every six weeks. I like my eye doctor too.

warren

16. joe kuhn

I appreciate your struggle warren. What kind of a shot is your doctor giving you? What's wrong with your right eye?

Joe

17. warren

warren Member

Joe I have what he calls an occlusion which is a leaking of the blood vessels which causes swelling of the retna and blurred vision. The drug he gives me is Avastin and that is an colon cancer drug which has been discovered just within the last three years to help stop my condition. I'm lucky that they found out about it I'm one of the first ones to benifit from it according to him. $6oo bucks a pop but it's well worth it.

warren

18. joe kuhn

Interesting. I was told by my eye doctor to watch my blood pressure. He suggested I visit my regular doctor and have it checked. Eye doc was seeing blood vessels in my eyes that were a little larger than they should have been. It's about time for my yearly physical, so I will have it checked then. Thanks for sharing your details.

Joe

19. johnpe

johnpe Member

I'm old enough to have been "down the road" on most of the solutions described in the above posts. On floaters: I've had really bad (large) floaters cut out of both eyes. A good retina man can do the job. The operations are virtually painless. On cross dominance: I've had that problem for more than 20 years. At first it only happened occasionally but has gotten worse. Right now, probably a third of the time my left eye takes over after firing the first shot. It's like the recoil of the first shot is the switch for the left eye to take over. I've tried everything discussed above and a couple more. Nothing worked. I've finally learned to triangulate the target, barrel and eye and will break almost all second targets under 30 yards, regardless of how fast or at what angle they are thrown, but second targets over 40 yards are most often misses. Vision: My corrected vision today is the best it's been in many years. On my last couple of visits to the optomitrist, when he starts this "is your vision better number 1 or number 2" I stopped him. Then told him to put my hands on the knobs and I'd tell him when to read the dials. It worked!!!! At 73 my vision is 20/15 in both eyes.

Johnpe

20. warren

warren Member

Joe be sure and go to a real eye doctor not an optomitrist the new stuff they've got is really helping, my wife has macular degeneration and she gets shots in both eyes every month and they are helping her too

warren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.