1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossfire Reducer (Meadow Industries)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cottondoctor, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I have viewed Phil Kiner’s excellent Trap Shooting Video and would not hesitate to recommend it. Several things in the video caught my attention; one of those was “cross firing”. It sounds like Mr. Kiner feels that if a person is over 50 or so years of age, cross firing may be more of a problem than one may realize. And, you only have to unknowingly cross fire 2 or 3 times in a 100 or 200 target event and you are “also in attendance”.
    I noticed that he uses one of the Meadow Industries Cross Fire Reducers on his barrel…..I think other top shooters like Harlan Campell may do so as well????
    Please give me honest feed back on the Meadow Industries Cross Fire Reducer – Is it worth trying? Will it stay on the barrel very well? Any problems adjusting to it? – If you do not have a very obvious cross problem, or do not know if you do, is it worth trying? – And yes, I am in my mid 50’s.
    Thanks in advance - Doc

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I had no trouble getting used to it and, if the instructions are followed, it sticks VERY well. Important to follow detail that the fence is mounted parallel to the barrel and NOT parallel to the rib (many ribs are tapered) and with the inside surface of the fence properly positioned. This makes the end of the fence all but invisible.

I found mine even less distracting once I bought some "Aircraft cockpit black" acrylic paint at a hobby shop and dulled the rib completely.

I made a couple for other guns out of thin, tempered aluminum that can be applied with silicone adhesive. I attached the original with the supplied double stick tape but I found that those I mounted with silicone adhesive were even less visible on the end of the barrel because they mounted closer to the rib surface.

Morgan

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I hated mine. I still have some of the Sight Blinders, unopened, because I bought them for all my barrels. They stick well if you clean your rib properly first. My problem was I could see it an used it as an aiming point. I gave it several weeks and then took it off.

What I found to be more useful was the Meadow Industries VariBright III sight. It is one of the glow sights, but it comes with red and green glow inserts and a white non-glow insert. It has a tube behind the sight do only your aiming eye sees it. The tube has a slot cut in the top so it is usable if you shoot a high POI wit a non-adjustable rib. I eventually took them off my barrels because the sights were too big.

I now use an Easy Hit sight. It has a 2.5mm diameter and is bright enough to see with your peripheral vision, but not so bright you cannot ignore it. I wish they still made the 2.0mm unit. I'd buy that in a flash. The Easy Hit has a shorter tube behind the sight, so it is usable even if you see a lot of rib between the beads. BTW, it takes a while to get used to it. As with anything new, your eye is drawn to it until it get to b old hat. Took me two weeks.

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I guess it's an individual thing, I use and like the sight blinders.

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I tried the Meadow industries sight blinder and found it seemed to help at first but at times, the entire sight picture would disappear and I didn't know what the sight picture looked like and seemed to hear "lost" more frequently. I went back to one eyed shooting and with a little practice, my scores came back up. I'm beginning to think I am unable to shoot with two eyes open even though it does help to acquire targets.

ZZT, I'm interested in the Easy Hit, do you use two beads with it? How easy is it to mount on the rib?

Thanks,

Mike

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I have been using the sight blinder for the past year. I had no problem adapting to it and it has remained firmly attached.

Robert

7. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

I use it and wouldn't shoot without it. I think the different responses here may be due to differences in vision. It may not work for everyone.

Mine was put on with the sticky tape and so far has not come off.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mike, the luminous red dot (or green) just replaces the standard white dot in your field of vision. You use it exactly the same as the original bead. I mount it just behind the original bead. The only difference is it is brighter than the original bead, so you are aware of it in your peripheral vision. The tube behind the fiber optic rod that forms the bead ensures that only your aiming eye can see the bead. There is nothing for my left eye to see.

It is a few seconds to mount properly. I clean my rib with rubbing alcohol, the rinse with water and dry. If you do that you will have the dickens of a time trying to get the easy hit back off. You'll have to use fishing line and pull it between the base and the rib. It will NOT fall off by accident. That's for sure.

If you order from WindWalker Outdoors, he will sell you extra mounting tapes for $1 each instead of the $3.95 most charge.

I have much better results with the small 2.5mm long bead.

9. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I had one on my XT but I was soon paying more attention to it than the target so I took it off and replaced it with a white dot. Maybe I'm weird.
    Dan

10. B V

B V TS Member

I am a right hand shooter. Left eye dominant. I use the Meadow Blinder on my trap guns along with a small spot of tape on my left shooting glass lens.

This combination has worked well for me for years.

No trouble with the Blinder coming loose since I installed it.

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Doc..... FWIW, Phil's crossfire eliminators were installed by Tom Wilkinson, and are permanently attached to his ribs, they are not the Meadow Industries units. I have the Meadow Industries crossfire eliminators for my gun and they are very effective. I plan on having Phil Crenwelge install a permanent set on my DB-81 combo at the PITA Grand this year. As I recall, Phil said that he could see no reason to take them off his gun since they don't get in the way, and if it helped with 1 target in a 100, it was a great investment. Harlan also has them on his gun. Do they work? Phil and Harlan seem to think so, and that's good enough for me. I know they work since I have had a few occassions where I crossfired and knew it. With the crossfire eliminators on the gun, it doesn't happen...... Just my experience......Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Thanks zzt!

Mike

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I talked to Kay Ohye at the Western Grand a year ago and Kay uses a sight blinder on his gun and he said if it gives him one extra target it is worth it. Personally I tried the stick on Meadow Industries blinder on my gun and it worked great until it fell off with extra handling in my soft gun case. I have been using the small diameter 2 mm size Uni-Dot hooded fiber optic beads on my trap guns and the larger diameter Vari Brite II fiber optic beads on my field guns. I look at the target and I notice the front bead without looking for it and yes I am over 50 - way over 50.

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Harlan Campbell uses something like it that he makes from a piece of a hacksaw blade screwed to the side of the rib. He also uses a lime green bead the size of a grapefruit so even if he doesn't cross fire he needs the fence just to keep the end of his barrel from looking like an orchard to him.

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crossfire reducer

sight blinder crossfire reducer

trap gun cross fire aluminum

trap shooting cross fire